Topics

Interfacing an external optical encoder control #optical #externalcontrol

Patrick Bouldin KM5L

Hey all, the thread asking the question about the use of the external IO port reminded me to ask you all about the following: If one were to build an external set of hardware controls, such as optical switches, knobs, wheels, etc., to control the Duo, would one likely use the ext IO port?

Read a little on it, noticed it was able to take CAT commands. To do that then, would you have to have a small processor in the external box that read the movements and then translated to Hex?

I thought maybe an option would be to re-purpose an old digital mixer. Anyone doing that? Maybe use a Raspberry PI or Arduino?

Call me outdated, but I miss buttons, knobs, switches, toggles and wheels! (but not the lack of RX features!). What the heck, let's add a foot switch control too!

Who has worked on this?
73,
Patrick KM5L

Neil Smith G4DBN

Andy G4JNT has done some good work on this, he started with a keyboard-entry interface. The work done by Giovanni HB9EIK on the excellent BlueDUO bluetooth interfaced tablet app also uses the port.  I've made up a few things I find useful, like a big RIT knob for following aircraft-scatter doppler signals, and A=B, A/B and Split buttons.  I have a TMate so I haven't needed to do a large VFO knob.  My footswitch uses the mic port, where the insert from my Heil headset mic plugs in via a splitter box.

Check out Andy's work at http://www.g4jnt.com/FDM-DU0_Notes.htm the first link is to a PDF of the keypad project.

Neil G4DBN

On 08/03/2019 21:58, Patrick Bouldin wrote:
[...]

Great, thanks Neil!
Patrick KM5L