FW: [EladSDR] HARDROCK-50 & FDM DUO #hobbypcb #elad #eladit

Wesley Knox

Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 2:45 PM
To: 'EladSDR@groups.io' <EladSDR@groups.io>
Subject: RE: [EladSDR] HARDROCK-50 & FDM DUO #hobbypcb #elad #eladit

I assisted Jim Veach WA2EUJ of HobbyPC with testing of prototype interface. Yes, if the ELAD connector on the back of the rig had been mounted with the correct socket screws you could’ve screwed a DB9 to it but no such luck.  One might investigate retrofitting the right socket screws on the rig to allow this but friction fit works OK.  I bought the QSF-06 preselector when I bought the ELAD which has a jack on the front that supplies a DC signal that will allow you to simply cable it to the Hardrock50 and this will obviate the need for the interface.  It turned out that the levels provided by the QSF-06 are identical to those used by the FT-817 and the Hardrock50.  I just ran RJ-179 coax from the QSF-06 jack to the connector on the Hardrock50 and it worked fine.  When Jim subsequently sent me an interface and cables gratis for assisting him in the effort I removed the coax and plugged in the interface/cables and haven’t looked back.  Jim was very nice to work with by the way.

Best of luck with the HR50 guys.  Mine works flawlessly.  I bought the ATU and QSK kits and other than my own errors on positioning display board headers it was painless…lots of fun.

PS – I mounted a thermistor-driven variable DC supply to feed 2 computer-style CPU fans on mine and it stays below 120deg F during long FT8 digital sessions.

Wes

KB6PR

From: EladSDR@groups.io <EladSDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of phoekzema Hoekzema
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 1:40 PM
To: EladSDR@groups.io
Subject: Re: [EladSDR] HARDROCK-50 & FDM DUO #hobbypcb #elad #eladit

I received my interface today.  It took longer to unwrap it then it took to install it.  It works fine.  Although it is a piece of hardware just hanging on a cord.  It could use an insulated box and the Hardrock amp could have used different hardware so the cable connector could have been fastened with other than friction.  Remember that it makes the Elad look like an FT 817 to the Hardrock 50, so change the control mode on the Hardrock to that mode.

Peter WA7MOX

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: EladSDR@groups.io <EladSDR@groups.io> on behalf of Maurizio Picerni <m.picerni@...>
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 3:31:28 PM
To: EladSDR@groups.io
Subject: [EladSDR] HARDROCK-50 & FDM DUO #hobbypcb #elad #eladit

Hi i need some infos about THIS INTERFACE  
do you have some experience because i think to get for automatic band changing in the PA.
Your replies welcome...
best 73 - IK1NAF Mau