Elad FDM-S2 - Problem with higher Sampling Rates

Fernando Duarte

Hello,

I have here a problem that I cannot solve.

If I set the sampling the rates higher than 768KHz, the Elad S2 gets stuttered. The audio as well as the spectrum / waterfall gets heavily distorted and sounds scratched. It sounds as if the Noiseblanker was fully turned on. This happens with all software that works with the S2. The power supply is via USB3, so sufficient. Also the double USB plug the Elad supplies for USB2, I tried. No change. At the computer performance it is guaranteed not. i7 with 16GB Ram and W10. CPU under 10%.

The Winradio G33DDC can display 4Mhz sampling rate. At this no problem.

Does anyone have an explanation for it?

73
Fernando

Keith McGinnis

Under your audio tab what is your buffer rate set to? Most (including myself) have a setting of 300 ms.

Keith
Hingham MA

On 3/20/2018 4:16 AM, Fernando Duarte wrote:
Hello,
I have here a problem that I cannot solve.
If I set the sampling the rates higher than 768KHz, the Elad S2 gets stuttered. The audio as well as the spectrum / waterfall gets heavily distorted and sounds scratched. It sounds as if the Noiseblanker was fully turned on. This happens with all software that works with the S2. The power supply is via USB3, so sufficient. Also the double USB plug the Elad supplies for USB2, I tried. No change. At the computer performance it is guaranteed not. i7 with 16GB Ram and W10. CPU under 10%.
The Winradio G33DDC can display 4Mhz sampling rate. At this no problem.
Does anyone have an explanation for it?
73
Fernando

Fernando Duarte

Edited

Hi Keith,
I have try also this with the buffer time. The same Problem.
I think, it's maybe a Problem with the USB Driver and the USB Controller. I have try Windows 7 32bit on a iMac over Bootcamp. Here no Problem. Work!

73
Fernando

First Picture wit 768KHz sampling rate. All normal.

Second Picture wit 6MHz sampling rate, zoomed. Spectrum overload and scratched Audio.

Oidar

Hi Fernando,

I think the receiver suffers from overload, try to enable the attenuator.

//Mats

Fernando Duarte

Hi Mats,

Thank you.
I have try this. No Signal overload. With ATT or without, the effect is equal.
I have try Windows 7 32bit on a iMac over Bootcamp. Here no Problem. Work!

The Problem is with W10, USB Chipset and USB Driver for the S2.
I have an HP Omen Desktop an Omen Notebook. Both with Intel Chipset. With both Computers the same Problem.

73
Fernando

Oidar

Hi Fernando

I note you are using console V3, does your problem persist with SW2 on W10?
I have read posts on the SDR-Radio forum that a user had problems with graphics drivers on W10 due to recent M$ updates.

//Mats

Fenu

Hi Mats,

The Problem exists with all softwares that work with the S2.

73
Fernando

Alberto I2PHD

On 3/23/2018 4:21 AM, Fenu wrote:

The Problem exists with all softwares that work with the S2.

Wrong.  I am writing a program for the Raspberry Pi 3B to read I/Q data from the S2 to filter
and demodulate them, and this program is perfectly able to cope with the 6144 kS/sec
sampling rate.  And the CPU of the Raspberry is remarkably less powerful than an
Intel i5 or i7.

Most probably the culprit is on the USB port used.

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

Fenu

Wrong Alberto.

Tryed all USB Port. USB3 and USB2.o with the Elad Power Adapter. Always the same result.
And I don't want a Rasperry.

73
Fernando

Chris Mackerell

Try different USB cables.

I had problems with my first S1 & S2 with poor cables and ended up using Belkin
"premium" cables for everything,

I've had no problems with my DUOr using similar cables.

Some USB drivers are very bad and just won't work. I had to experiment with
various add-on PCIe cards before I got a 100% reliable recording setup for
the high samping rate.

This is not a problem with Elad hardware or software, but with WIndows
hardware & drivers. You'll need to experiment till you find a combination
that works for your installation.

Cheers, Chris

On 2018-03-24 22:09, Fenu wrote:
Wrong Alberto.

Tryed all USB Port. USB3 and USB2.o with the Elad Power Adapter. Always the same result.
And I don't want a Rasperry.

73
Fernando

Fenu

Hi Chris,

Thank you.
I have here only good USB Cables. I have try all possibilities.

But the problem is solved. I have return the S2 to the seller. With his PC the S2 work without problems.

73
Fernando

Paul

Hi Fernado
Just for the record what PC brand and model do you have? If it is brand specific the rest of us would like to know

paul WB9HCO