SW2 crashed. Can't get it up and running

Kjell-Goran SM4GRP

Hello,
SW2 crashed today. Sigh... It all started yesterday when I enabled transverter use. Everything ran fine (?) but the program always started at zero frequency. This morning SW2 crashed after the PC being off for the night, with a looong error list from W10,and I can get it up and running again. I have saved the error list if needed. I have tried this:

2) Delete SW2 from control panel and delete the ELAD folder in users/documents/...
3) Do a full install of ver 3.002
4) Click yes on "Repair visual C++" and repair "SW2"

Nothing helps. SW2 doesn't start, I just get the same error over and over again. If I start the program in spite of W10's warning the SW2 window looks very akward.
What to do? Help would be much appreciated.

73 / Kjell-Goran SM4GRP

Kjell-Goran SM4GRP

I also once deleted the ELAD folder in C:\Program Files (x86) after uninstalling the software and then installing from scratch again. No success. Error message was as before: "Unhandled exception has occured in your application".
73 / Kjell-Goran

Neil Smith G4DBN

Does a factory reset of the DUO settings have any effect? Is the error message about a byte value being too large or small? That was reported by another forum members a few days ago.
Neil G4DBN

On 6 Mar 2018, at 08:17, Kjell-G�ran Bergendahl <kg.bergendahl@...> wrote:

I also once deleted the ELAD folder in C:\Program Files (x86) after uninstalling the software and then installing from scratch again. No success. Error message was as before: "Unhandled exception has occured in your application".
73 / Kjell-Goran
_._,_._,

Kjell-Goran SM4GRP

Hi
The factory reset (menu 81) didn't fix it.
Yes, the error message says that; "Value was either too large or too small for an unsigned byte".
73 / Kjell-Goran

Neil Smith G4DBN

That is the same message reported a few days ago by someone.  Not sure if he managed to find a solution.

Guess it is time to test the new support URL.  Should be easy for Elad to find where the uncaught exception is happening and what the reason is.

Neil

On 06/03/2018 08:39, Kjell-G�ran Bergendahl wrote:
Hi
The factory reset (menu 81) didn't fix it.
Yes, the error message says that; "Value was either too large or too small for an unsigned byte".
73 / Kjell-Goran

Kjell-Goran SM4GRP

I did a last try, deleting ver 3.002 and the associated ELAD folders in .../Program Files/... as well as in .../users/.../documents/... and after that restart both PC and DUO and then a full install of ver 1.150 without success. I have raised a support ticket in ELAD's support system. Let's see what happens. I will report back.
73 / Kjell-Goran SM4GRP

Paul

Just a thought, have you tried to run a registry cleaner to remove any traces of SW2 before trying a re-install?

I don't use SW2, so I have no direct experience with this problem, but I have used CCleaner or JV16 Power Tools to clean out the registry after I remove something.

paul
WB9HCO

I'm programming since 30 years. I know C++ and VisualBasic.
Now, myself i can't resolve the SD2 Software error as explained here:

https://groups.io/g/EladSDR/message/12875

I canceled any trace of the software on my PC. Yet, no result. I checked all *.xml files, no chance.
I'm connecting SD2 with my own software ' RadioFrequency '. Programming around the error i resolved. The Elad SD2 software error is not resolved.
A normal user can't get around such problems.

One of the most LOGICAL errors with the SD2 Software is in fact :
"Unhandled exception has occured in your application"

When coding the Author must be aware of possible Errors and "logical errors" that are not the same as "Errors".
The Exception can handle this with a Advice or just "nothing".

Example coding:
Try
'here is the code that could result in a Error message

Catch ex As Exception
'a message can return the C++ (or else) message
'my own message
'or just "Nothing"
End Try

I invite ELAD to reply with a precise specification where the SD2 Software is holding/saving data.
- within the radio memory
- within the default folder (*.xml files)
- somewhere else
- within the Windows Register (RegEdit)

It is useless to say: " i never had some problems ". One day you get it. Just we don't know why it occurs and how can we resolve it.

Such a fantastic Radio can't be degraded just by software errors.

Nota:
I'm leaving just about 50 km far from Elad. I wrote to Elad, no replay by Mr. Franco. I did not phone yet as i'm expecting a clear answer with details that can help.

Coding is not that simple without errors. No one is perfect.

73
Raimund
.

Kjell,
pls. send me the Error Exception Data via E-mail.

Raimund
.

Paul NN4F

It’s possible that this is tied to a recent windows update as we now have 3 errors the same, Franco is freeing up one of the programmers to look at this today or tomorrow, but trust that we are working on this fault ASAP
--
Paul Jones - Elad USA

On Mar 6, 2018, at 08:40, Raimund <raimund.forstmeier@...> wrote:

Kjell,
pls. send me the Error Exception Data via E-mail.

Raimund
.

Kjell-Goran SM4GRP

That sounds great Paul. I will stand by with no further action from my side until directions are given by ELAD.
Waiting patiently :-) / Kjell-Goran

It’s possible that this is tied to a recent windows update as we now have 3 errors the same, Franco is freeing up one of the programmers to look at this today or tomorrow, but trust that we are working on this fault ASAP
--
Paul Jones - Elad USA

> On Mar 6, 2018, at 08:40, Raimund <raimund.forstmeier@fastwebnet.it> wrote:
>
> Kjell,
> pls. send me the Error Exception Data via E-mail.
>
> Raimund
> .

Hi Kjell,
thanks x sending me the Error Log file.

In fact the Debugger is reading:
************** Exception Text **************
System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for an unsigned byte.
at System.Convert.ToByte(Char value)
at ELADSampler.Form1.InitDemodClass()
at ELADSampler.Form1.MainFormInit()
at ELADSampler.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

This is the point for your case when the program is opening > MainForminit > Form1_Load:
" System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for an unsigned byte"
The code should be within a " Try and Exeption " procedure as explained previously. Byte-Values must be checked before using them.
Unfortunately i don't know which value is causing this error and for what it is used.

It would be possible to debug the SD2 exe-file but this is a quite consuming time work.

For me the problem is that there is no "Debugger Error" and the SD2 is just closing the Omni-Rig access in [Remote Ctrl] and i can't get read of the message " Omnirig is not correctly installed!! ".

I'm using Win10 like you. Win10 is updated. Framework is updated that should be also considered when compiling the SD2 program.

It is possible that the whole has to do with a Windows-Update. But only for you ???

Personally i'm convinced that this can't be the only software issue.

Today i will send the Forum references-nr to Mr. Franco. It is important that a software check doesn't concentrate only on 1 issue.

73 Raimund
.

Kjell-Goran SM4GRP

Hello,

Franco and his programmer has asked for a remote session maybe tomorrow. It seems they (ELAD) are also thinking that it has to do with a W10 update.
73/Kjell-Goran

[...]

Pawel SQ5BE

https://groups.io/g/EladSDR/topic/8022620

Vy 73 de SQ5BE
Paweł Grzelewski
pawel@...
loc: KO02LI

Wiadomość napisana przez Neil Smith <neil@...> w dniu 06.03.2018, o godz. 10:09:

That is the same message reported a few days ago by someone.  Not sure if he managed to find a solution.

Guess it is time to test the new support URL.  Should be easy for Elad to find where the uncaught exception is happening and what the reason is.

Neil

On 06/03/2018 08:39, Kjell-G�ran Bergendahl wrote:
Hi
The factory reset (menu 81) didn't fix it.
Yes, the error message says that; "Value was either too large or too small for an unsigned byte".
73 / Kjell-Goran

Kjell-Goran SM4GRP

Hello Pawel
Thanks for the link. ELAD is currently investigating since there is not only me having this fault.
73 / Kjell-Goran SM4GRP

https://groups.io/g/EladSDR/topic/8022620

Vy 73 de SQ5BE
Paweł Grzelewski
loc: KO02LI

Wiadomość napisana przez Neil Smith <neil@...> w dniu 06.03.2018, o godz. 10:09:

That is the same message reported a few days ago by someone.  Not sure if he managed to find a solution.

Guess it is time to test the new support URL.  Should be easy for Elad to find where the uncaught exception is happening and what the reason is.

Neil

On 06/03/2018 08:39, Kjell-G�ran Bergendahl wrote:
Hi
The factory reset (menu 81) didn't fix it.
Yes, the error message says that; "Value was either too large or too small for an unsigned byte".
73 / Kjell-Goran

Alberto I2PHD

On 3/6/2018 5:47 PM, Raimund wrote:
It would be possible to debug the SD2 exe
SD2 ?  You insist on calling that program SD2...  the correct name is SW2 .....

--
73 Alberto I2PHD
Credo Ut Intelligam

Jeffrey Pawlan

One solution that does work, is to run the FDM-S2 with Winrad.  It will work correctly without that error.  However, it cannot work with the DUO as it is a receive-only program.

Clint Chron

I have had similar problems.  For me, the best solution is to manually clean up the registry by deleting anything that references “ELAD”.

73

Clint

W7KEC

Sent from Mail for Windows 10