FM DXing Questions for the Elad FDM-S2

Les Rayburn

Since last season, I’ve migrated to a newer, faster computer running Windows 10 for my FM DXing. Using both the Airspy and the Elad FDM-S2 SDR. Have several questions about using the FDM-S2 most effectively for FM DX:

1.) What is the optimum file size for I/Q recordings of the FM Band?

2.) What frequency should I set the radio on for recording during an E-Skip opening to best utilize the bandwidth available?

3.) Is it possible to record “continuously” daily over a 18 hour period—and have yesterday’s recordings erased automatically? In other words, I’d like to be able to record on a daily basis—and review recordings only when e-skip has been detected.

4.) I’d like to use RDS Spy to record RDS signals that may be detected during the overnight hours in order to do some meteor scatter DXing on clear frequencies.

How can I interface the Elad FDM-S2 with RDS Spy? (Step by step instructions if they’re available would be great.)

5.) Anything else I need to know in order to maximize the use of the Elad for FM DXing?

Any and all assistance greatly appreciated!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.