OT - Data/CW Signal on 192kHz - Please Help!

Bill Nollman

Hi All;

I’m Bcc posting this on a few lists so forgive me if you get multiple copies of this or the message seems oddly generic.

For the lists where this is VERY off topic please reply to me offlist if you can help.

I have a mystery I’m hoping someone can help me solve. I was reviewing a Perseus recording from November 13th, 2011. That evening featured some of the strongest LW broadcast signals I've ever heard from here in Connecticut - especially 252 from Ireland. While listening to 189 from Iceland with a 4kHz bandwidth I was surprised to hear data or CW on 192kHz.

I’ve posted on Dropbox the original Perseus recording, an audio mp3 and a screen shot. Below are the links.

- MP3 audio file - https://www.dropbox.com/s/7brjg083cg6z0lc/192%20-%20Mystery%20Data-CW%20Signal%20-%202011-11-12%20-%20223737utc.mp3?dl=0

- Screen shot using Studio1 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pifcw9s9q2mlwt/2011-11-13-223737utc-192kHz%20mystery.JPG?dl=0

- 1.3GB Perseus Capture - https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3fij1wtyanfxpq/11-13-2011-252-real-good_000.wav?dl=0

If you look at the screen shot the signal has a very well defined pattern and was coming in very strong.
1. Centered at 192kHz it starts with a long tone followed by faster CW.
2. Next it repeats the pattern 800 Hz high.
3. It does this 4 times with the third and fourth at a higher power.
4. Next it repeats the pattern centered at 192kHz but this time 600 Hz low. Again with the last two at higher power.
5. It begins at 22:37:37 UTC and ended at 22:38:07 UTC - 30 seconds.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

If anything feel free to download the WAV file and enjoy what I consider decent LW broadcast reception!

Bill Nollman

Farmington, CT