FDM-S3, big data, external HDD

Nils Schiffhauer

Hi - let me share my experiences with "big data":
* I am using WD Duo Book external HDDs of 20 and 28TB capacity.
* They are connected via USB3/3.1 to a W10 PC.
* The connection are supported by one separate USB card each. No external or internal hub!

With this combination ist is possible to seamlessly
* receive and record 24MHz wide files, unattended for at least 24 hours
* play them

In the past, I also used 3 x FDM-S3 in parallel using a similar setup.
I am also using the above mentiones setup with Winradio's SIGMA with up to 32MHz wide files.

To analyze these files later von via tailored spcetrograms, most recording is done with free SDRC V3 software by Simon Brown.
The recording is done in WAV RF64 format, breaking the 2GB limit.
Be prepared to end up with one whopping file ranging from 8 to 10 terabytes for the above mentioned application.

The good news is: It all works seamlesslyso that even monitoring professionals are surprised.
The bad news is: you must invest in the PC and additional hardware.

Unfortuneately, there are no workaround. If you setup cannot handle this big data, you must reduce the data - by reducing the bandwidth.

SSDs are as fine as they are expensive. They yield no palpable difference in recording and play. OK, they will start this process some seconds earlier.
Where SSDs, however, excel, is in converting the file into a spectrogram (SDRC V3 users). There, I observed a three- to five-fold speed advantage of an internal SSD (2TB Samsung) compared to the external WD Books.

My PC: i7-8700@3.2GHz, 32GB RAM

My advice:
First, you should carefully thought about what you need.
Secondly, buy it.
Third: forget about the price and use the equipment as much as you can.

If you prefer to lament about prices, please take into account:
* the price tag of a say, Drake SPR-4 in the early 1970s, and how many months an average worker had to work for this
* the time, an average worker has to work for an equipment well up to professional standards nowadays

Have fun! 73 Nils, DK8OK

--
dk8ok.org