Re: S3 PC spec?

Otso Ylönen

These Seagates are pretty good. I have a few Seagate IronWolf 10TB drives (almost same as the SkyHawk) that I have connected via two eSata boards to my desktop PC. The drives are stacked in a DIY rack with a fan. It seems I can record 24MHz with S3 without problems to one of these. In fact, I expected this to be possible as I have succesfully recorded from four S2's simultaneously.

A key to good performance is to have separate USB controllers for the receiver(s), USB drive(s) and any other resource-demanding peripherals.

I have also got a 4TB Samsung V-NAND 860 EVO SSD drive that I will put inside my laptop before the FM season.

BR, Otso

Gesendet: Freitag, 29. Januar 2021 um 14:49 Uhr
Von: "Bill Nollman" <billct97@...>
An: EladSDR@groups.io
Betreff: Re: [EladSDR] S3 PC spec?

Mike, thank you for sharing that. I think your good results are because the 8TB drive is internal and SATA connected. I typically use external USB3 8TB drives for an offload for internal 2TB SSD (most DX is done on the laptop when I travel) and the 8TB (via USB3) are useless for recording, sometimes OK for playback. I’ll have to see if I have an internal SATA drive that I can put into my desktop to test.

The point of my reply to others, all 8TB drives may not be created equally. Internal SATA III may work to capture at 24MHz while external USB3 may not.

Bill

From: EladSDR@groups.io <EladSDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Fallon
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2021 9:10 AM
To: EladSDR@groups.io
Subject: Re: [EladSDR] S3 PC spec?

Hi bill,

This is the HDD I have

https://www.cclonline.com/product/222299/ST8000VX0022/Hard-Drives/Seagate-SkyHawk-8TB-3-5-inch-Hard-Drive-7200rpm-SATA-6Gb/s-256MB-Internal-/HDD2805/

Regards,

Mike

From: EladSDR@groups.io <EladSDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Nollman
Sent: 29 January 2021 11:13

Can one of you share the manufacturer and model number of the 8TB drive?

Thanks,

Bill

From: EladSDR@groups.io <EladSDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Fallon
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2021 2:31 AM

Hi Paul & Jim,

I’m trying a new SATA 3 8TB HDD for recording the full 24MHz b/w from my S3 in SDR Console. It’s working really well with zero buffering/errors.

Hope that helps.

Mike

From: EladSDR@groups.io <EladSDR@groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul
Sent: 26 January 2021 14:27

Thanks Jim, that's good to know a SATA3 HDD can cope with recording as they're considerably cheaper than the SSDs and could mean I can justify splashing out on more CPU power. In fact a pair of 8TB SATA3s are still less than a single 4TB SSD so I could write to one and read from the other. Choices, choices!

Cheers

Paul

Join EladSDR@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.