XML diff (was: [EladSDR] Help needed Please)

Otso Ylönen

Neil, what sw do you use for "XML diff"? Is there a Windows application with modern UI or do you use command line tools for that?

BR, Otso

Gesendet: Samstag, 21. November 2020 um 20:29 Uhr
Von: "Neil Smith G4DBN" <neil@...>
An: EladSDR@groups.io
Betreff: Re: [EladSDR] Help needed Please

I keep a copy of a full-working set of the XML files, either before and after an upgrade, and on the first day of each month.  Then if there is a crash or an error on shutdown, and the XML files get munged, I cna either pull a recent copy from FileHistory, or restore the last-known-good files.

I also try to remember to run an XML diff on the files to determine what went wrong, so I can raise a ticket if it looks like a bug, or at least have a record so I can tell someone else with the same preoblem what happened to my installation.

Right, I need to get some stuff done, so turning my emails and Twitter off for a few hours/days.  Glad it is fixed.

Neil

On 21/11/2020 20:20, R GRAYSTOCK via groups.io wrote:
Hello Neil.  Well you got it right first time.  I found two config files with the same name, I checked and they both contained identical data. I deleted one and behold everything worked as normal.
Before today I was convinced that it was not possible to have two identical files in the same directory.  The question remains how can this happen in the middle of just using the software which has been in place for weeks.  It had me beet!
Once again many thanks to your pointer.
Best Regards
Bob       P.S.  Any thoughts regarding the DUO-X

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 at 19:41, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Hi Bob, did you try deleting or moving the XML config files, which is the first step when this sort of thing happens? It isn't in your list of things tried...