Re: Fdm1 #elad #fdm-s2

Neil Smith G4DBN

Interesting.  I just created a new standard user as a Local account (not Microsoft cloud account).

I set up and started SW2, and it all worked correctly with no error messages.  It created the FDM-SW2 folder for that user in the default location

So it looks like no admin privileges are necessary to *RUN* SW2 for local accounts on Windows 10 version 1903, so long as you don't change the default location of the installation (C:\Program Files (x86)\ELAD\ELAD FDM-SW2) and the data folder (C:\Users\test\Documents\ELAD\FDM-SW2).  I'm sure that installing or updating the software would result in UAC prompting for admin privileges

If the software is installed somewhere else other than the default, or pointed at a different data folder (such as  c:\ELAD), then it certainly could need admin privileges to run it. It might also be different in the Pro/Enterprise variants of Win10.  This is just a home user installation.

Neil G4DBN

On 29/06/2020 11:35, Raimund wrote:
Hi Neil,
in fact i never found any reference with the Elad documentation.
Anyway the Elad SW? does not open without admin privileges.

The Admin is you or else if included with the permission assignments.
Useful for NetWork systems.

A program that is requesting privileges would check the permission similar to this code:
        Try
            'check if program opend with admin priv
            Dim identity = WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent()
            Dim principal = New WindowsPrincipal(identity)
            Dim isElevated As Boolean = principal.IsInRole(WindowsBuiltInRole.Administrator)
            If isElevated Then
               'Msg
            Else
                FlexibleMessageBox.Show("Program must be opened with Admin privileges.", _
                                        AppTitle, MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Hand)
                End

            End If
        Catch ex As Exception
        End Try