Re: FDM-DUO overload issues

Chris Moore

For what it's worth - I suffered overload from nearby AM stations in my last QTH.  I was using a Wellbrook loop and had to change to the interface box with the lower gain - that helped.

In my current QTH I have a very nearby AM station.  My end-fed antenna overloads the Duo, but an inverted L and the Wellbrook do not, so you could be on the margin for your location.  I also have the QSF-06 - I'd say it helped 'a bit'.

I second the comment to see if you can get a panadapter going to identify any really obvious signals in the coverage range.  Also, (if you haven't already) confirm you really don't have an AM station nearby - radio-locator.com can help.  I'm two miles away from a 15kw station I didn't know about until I saw it in the panadapter one day.

Cheers - Chris

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 4:00 PM Steve Knell <c6tradingltd@...> wrote:
Very interesting Clint.  I suspect my problem is due to the cumulative effect of all signals across all the shortwave bands resulting in overload and general breakthrough issues.  When I experienced the breakthrough on 20M I switched to a coax fed half-wave vertical and the breakthrough disappeared.  So I think that using an open wire fed doublet isn't helping the situation.  I can sort of live with it but it would be nice to find a solution without replacing the radio.  Enabling the attenuator helps most of the time, but not always.