Re: FDM-DUO overload issues

Clint Chron

Hi Steve,

If you see the PK light flashing , then that does sound like you have an in-band or adjacent band station that is causing the overload.  However, a flashing light is not nearly as serious as the light coming on steady.  Is there any way that you could get the SW-2 software installed on a PC?  You could quickly find the offending station with the spectrum display.  Any SDR radio that does not have front end receiver band pass filters is going to have the same problem with front end overload, if strong stations are nearby.  Some of the early Flex 6000 series radios had the same problem.  I think that Flex now has front end band pass filters in all of their radios.

If one installs a front end pre-selector on the Duo, then the overload capability is better than most other SDR radios, including the Icom IC-7300.

The QSF is a nice box, but kind of pricey even if you only purchase one filter.  If the overload is coming from a single station, then it would be much cheaper to install the appropriate TX band pass filter.  Here is a link for such filters:

https://surgestop.com/filter-products/m-405.html

73

Clint

W7KEC