NPR and Dynamic Range question

Zacharias Liangas

Hello again

In my previous post in ‘Cross SDR operation and FDM”  I have seen a reply from Clint Chron  referring to NPR a term I meet for  first time. Based in the context  I understand that is somehow related to Dynamic Range of older analogue receivers.What is the difference and similarity between these two terms?

Here is his email:

The Elad Duo and S2 radios have significantly better overload performance than the RSP1A.  I have all three radios.  The Elad NPR performance is in the low 70s and the RSP1A is in the high 40s.  Most older analog HF transceivers have NPR figures in the mid to high 50s.  The very best high end SDR transceivers (Flex, Icom, Yaesu, and Anon) have NPR figures in the low 80s.  BTW – the same holds true for 3rd Order IMD performance of the mentioned radios.

By the way I tested a loaned  Airspy Discovery from a friend that overloads with my 2x16 m antenna with all RF settings off  (ATT , AGC ,preamp ) Two reviewers advised that didn't happen to them , Ther are here many signals between -50 and -35 dbm on local  nights /UTC+3.
I don't know what can mean to you but for me it seems it is either 'damaged' or the its old called dynamic range is limited.