Re: FDM-DUO ALC

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Tony, I think the point is that ALC should have been left to wither on the vine back in the days of the thermionic valve, and we should be running linear systems and controlling the levels and gains to achieve the output level required.  Sadly, somewhere along the way, Microsoft decided they knew better, and that wantonly changing levels was an acceptable way to behave. (Pro-tip:  it is not)

ALC is definitely the spawn of Beelzebub though, and should have no place in any radio made since 1980.

Neil G4DBN

On 04/11/2019 16:59, Tony EI8JK wrote:
Thanks for that Iain.
Not really the answer I had hoped for ;-)
What I wanted was an ALC connection to run/control a non-Elad linear.
I thought that was a non runner though, so not unexpected.
Regards & 73
Tony...

On 04/11/2019 16:50, MM6IXE wrote:
Hi Tony

you are correct on both accounts, No alc meter, and yes u would need to adjust windows drive .

I asked the same question couple weeks ago, and was given a workaround for wsjtx,

if u go back a few pages on forum, you will find the question from me
andbthe answer from Neil

regards

Iain