Re: Set Up to use JS8Call with Elad Fdm Duo

Bill / N1ASS

this is what I am getting:

On 8/31/2019 7:47 AM, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:

Let's see if we can fix this one bit at a time.

First step, let's find out if CAT is working at all.

Using the same COM port that works as a TS-480 in HRD, and with no other programs running that might be locking the COM port, confirm that the WSJT-X or JS8Call settings are the same as worked in HRD. Should be 38400, 8 N 1 as usual.

Now I'm going to assume that you are using the latest JS8Call or the latest WSJT-X (so you have the current Hamlib setup, which is built-in to those).

Check that you have the radio type set in the program settings to Elad FDM-DUO in the drop-down box (don't use TS480, the Hamlibn for that is buggy, the DUO library functions are new and work perfectly)

Check that you are set to PTT using RTS on the same COM port which worked OK with HRD for CAT. The rest of the settings shouldn't matter at this point, but set them anyway to Fake It split and USB mode so you don't have to go back and fiddle with the settings later.

Assuming that is OK, and the settings are all correct, click the "Test CAT" button.

If that doesn't go green within a second or so, we need to dig further into whether something is stopping the COM port from working, so stop at this point and report your findings.

If it does go green, then click the Test PTT and see if the rig goes to TX.  If it doesn't, then check the DUO menu 54 and the PTT is set to IN+RTS, then retry.

If that still doesn't work, you have a different issue around the RTS line, so change the PTT setting to CAT and try again.

So, now you either have CAT and PTT working, or just CAT or neither.

Can you test and report on whether those settings work in JS8Call and/or WSJT-X?

Next step is to get receive and transmit audio working, but let's go one step at once.

Neil G4DBN

On 31/08/2019 12:24, Bill / N1ASS wrote:

Thank you for the reply,I had some time to try to make it work but it still doesn't not.I did everything as you showed in the screen shots.I know all usb ports are working,Hrd and logbook works as ts-480 and cw idier works as ft-897.What you think I should try next? Bill / N1ASS.73.....

On 8/29/2019 3:07 PM, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:

Good advice from Charlie. Get FT8 working with WSJT-X first as there are more users out there to ask for help.

I had never tried JS8Call, so I checked my setup with WSJT-X first, then downloaded and installed JS8Call with all defaults.

Set up looks like this:

I have TXIN on the DUO menus set to AUTO and PTT set to IN+RTS.

When I hit Test CAT, it worked and went green (my default COM port is COM3, discovered the way Charlie suggested). Then I hit Test PTT, the rig went on to transmit and the button went red.

For the audio streams, I normally use Virtual Audio Cable wiht SW2 on receive, but for this test, I picked the FDM-DUO audio device on TX and on RX

I set the DUO menus for AGC OFF, AGC GAIN 1 and AUX VOL about 6 to get the level in JS8Call somewhere in the 30-40dB region on band noise. I also messed with the gain on the Windows audio device for the DUO to drop the gain a bit

Seems to work fine.

Much simpler for me to use SW2 and Virtual Audio cable as I have multiple receive programs listening at the same time to the virtual device and don't want to playh with JS8Call, but it looks like it is just the same to configure with the DUO as WSJT-X

Neil G4DBN

On 29/08/2019 17:33, Charles Ristorcelli wrote:
Bill, IMHO start trying a more common digital mode.

The nuances of setting and using JS8call are best handled after getting some experience.

I suggest try WSJT-X and look at FT8.

As for com post selection, I am not certain the root of your problem.

I have one suggestion that solved the problem for other DUO users.

You did not specify your operating system, but I will assume it is Windows.

Make sure your DUO is powered off, and get the System display under Control Panel opened.

Take careful note of the USB ports listed.

Now power on the DUO and you should hear three audio "pings" as the DUO drivers get loaded. You will see ELAD samplers, the ELAD audio card, and a com port appear with each ping.

Note that comport number.

That is the com port to your DUO.

73 de NN3V
Charlie