Re: Set Up to use JS8Call with Elad Fdm Duo

Neil Smith G4DBN

Good advice from Charlie. Get FT8 working with WSJT-X first as there are more users out there to ask for help.

I had never tried JS8Call, so I checked my setup with WSJT-X first, then downloaded and installed JS8Call with all defaults.

Set up looks like this:

I have TXIN on the DUO menus set to AUTO and PTT set to IN+RTS.

When I hit Test CAT, it worked and went green (my default COM port is COM3, discovered the way Charlie suggested). Then I hit Test PTT, the rig went on to transmit and the button went red.

For the audio streams, I normally use Virtual Audio Cable wiht SW2 on receive, but for this test, I picked the FDM-DUO audio device on TX and on RX

I set the DUO menus for AGC OFF, AGC GAIN 1 and AUX VOL about 6 to get the level in JS8Call somewhere in the 30-40dB region on band noise. I also messed with the gain on the Windows audio device for the DUO to drop the gain a bit

Seems to work fine.

Much simpler for me to use SW2 and Virtual Audio cable as I have multiple receive programs listening at the same time to the virtual device and don't want to playh with JS8Call, but it looks like it is just the same to configure with the DUO as WSJT-X

Neil G4DBN

On 29/08/2019 17:33, Charles Ristorcelli wrote:
Bill, IMHO start trying a more common digital mode.

The nuances of setting and using JS8call are best handled after getting some experience.

I suggest try WSJT-X and look at FT8.

As for com post selection, I am not certain the root of your problem.

I have one suggestion that solved the problem for other DUO users.

You did not specify your operating system, but I will assume it is Windows.

Make sure your DUO is powered off, and get the System display under Control Panel opened.

Take careful note of the USB ports listed.

Now power on the DUO and you should hear three audio "pings" as the DUO drivers get loaded. You will see ELAD samplers, the ELAD audio card, and a com port appear with each ping.

Note that comport number.

That is the com port to your DUO.

73 de NN3V
Charlie