Topics

[webdev] Web Design Update: October 24, 2018

David Dillard

[webdev] Web Design Update: October 24, 2018

 https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>

Wed, Oct 24, 2018, 7:23 AM
to webdev
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 18, October 24, 2018.

design and development.

++ISSUE 18 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: BOOKS.
03: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
04: DRUPAL.
05: EVALUATION & TESTING.
06: EVENTS.
07: JAVASCRIPT.
08: MISCELLANEOUS.
09: PHP.
10: TOOLS.
11: TYPOGRAPHY.
12: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

The Importance of Heading Levels for Assistive Technology
By Eric Bailey.
"…WebAIM's 2017 Screen Reader survey tells us that navigating via
headings is the most important way people who rely on assistive
technology locate information. Because of this, it's important to
craft your website's headings properly…"
https://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/the-importance-of-heading-levels-for-assistive-technology--cms-31753

Finding the Way: Screen Reader Strategies
By Abby Kingman.
"…the modern web offers lots of opportunities for designers and
developers to provide unique and visually compelling visitor
experiences. That can be lots of fun, but It's important make sure
that creating these experiences for some users don't make things more
difficult for others."
https://lastcallmedia.com/blog/finding-way-screen-reader-strategies

Trying to Explain Reduce Motion to Designers Who Don't Have a
Vestibular Disorder
By Craig Grannell.
"With my recent griping about Apple and reduce motion, I should note
many other companies/designers fail this test. The web remains rife
with such issues, as does the app and gaming ecosystem…"
http://reverttosaved.com/2018/10/16/trying-to-explain-reduce-motion-to-designers-who-dont-have-a-vestibular-disorder/

Developing for Accessibility
By Takwa Bouallegue.
"Bringing a human touch to your code…"
https://medium.com/parksideinteractive/developing-for-accessibility-d14d50e18f70

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 Overview
By Sue Ann Rodriquez.
"…In June of 2018, WCAG 2.1 became the official recommendation of the
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) as its first attempt to fill some of
the gaps. The WCAG 2.1 includes new success criteria as well as the
WCAG 2.0 standards…"
https://theweco.com/wcag-2-1-overview/

WCAG Success Criteria 3.1.1 and 3.1.2: Language of Page and Parts
By Bureau of Internet Accessibility.
"…WCAG 2.1 A/AA identifies two basic and essential success criteria
for readability: WCAG success criteria 3.1.1 (Language of Page) and
3.1.2 (Language of Parts)…"
https://www.boia.org/blog/wcag-success-criteria-3.1.1-and-3.1.2-language-of-page-and-parts

First Public Working Drafts: Personalization Tools 1.0;
Personalization Help and Support 1.0
By W3C.
"The Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group has published two
First Public Working Drafts…"
https://www.w3.org/blog/news/archives/7359

To Whom Does the Burden Fall?
By Anne Gibson.
"…When is it the responsibility of someone with a disability to use
unnamed tools to somehow make your content accessible, when your
organization has not done so yourself? Never. It is never their
responsibility…"
https://theinterconnected.net/kirabug/to-whom-does-the-burden-fall/

Pragmatic Rules of Web Accessibility That Will Stick to Your Mind
By Tiago Romero Garcia.
"I first started to work with web accessibility back in 2015, at an
American retail giant. It had just gotten a hefty lawsuit…"
https://medium.freecodecamp.org/pragmatic-rules-of-web-accessibility-that-will-stick-to-your-mind-9d3eb85a1a28

A11y Wars (Video)
By Glenda Sims.
"…In this presentation, we'll look at the different perspectives
people have when testing accessibility. We distinguish the following
testing perspectives: Minimal, Optimized and Ideal…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0VSwJPdx4M

2018 ADA Website Cases Surpass 2017
By Jaclyn Leduc.
"…It's clear that web accessibility lawsuits aren't slowing down,
making the need for regulations more pertinent than ever before…"
https://www.3playmedia.com/2018/10/18/2018-website-ada-cases/

Domino's: Ninth Circuit Hears Web Accessibility Appeal Argument
By Kristina M. Launey.
"Due process, DOJ's failure to enact regulations, and whether the ADA
covers websites arguments dominated the recent Domino's Ninth Circuit
oral argument…"
https://www.adatitleiii.com/2018/10/dominos-ninth-circuit-hears-web-accessibility-appeal-argument/
Video of the Oral Arguments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6LG8PTvGA

+02: BOOKS.

McGovern, Gerry. Top Tasks - A how to guide, Silver Beach, 2018.

+03: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

CSS Layout Cookbook
By Mozilla and Individual Contributors.
"The CSS layout cookbook aims to bring together recipes for common
layout patterns, things you might need to implement in your own
sites…"
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/Layout_cookbook

CSS Border-Radius Can Do That?
By Nils Binder.
"How to create very cool effects with a rarely used feature."
https://9elements.com/io/css-border-radius/

Understanding the Difference Between grid-template and grid-auto
By Ire Aderinokun.
"With all the new properties related to CSS Grid Layout, one of the
distinctions that always confused me was the difference between the
grid-template-* and grid-auto-* properties…"
https://bitsofco.de/understanding-the-difference-between-grid-template-and-grid-auto/

Creating a Simple Form with Flexbox
By Zell Liew.
"…Flexbox makes it easy to align elements with unequal height…"
https://zellwk.com/blog/simple-form-with-flexbox/

+04: DRUPAL.

Running Drupal's PHPUnit Test Suites on DDEV
By Matt Glaman.
"DDEV is a local development stack built on top of Docker…"
https://glamanate.com/blog/running-drupals-phpunit-test-suites-ddev

+05: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Complete Beginner's Guide to UX Research
By UX Booth.
"UX research-or as it's sometimes called, design research-serves many
purposes throughout the design process…"
http://www.uxbooth.com/articles/complete-beginners-guide-to-design-research/

The Five Stages of Grief: Usability Test Observer Edition
By Cliff Anderson.
"…One thing I've noticed over the years is that every usability test
newbie seems to go through the same predictable stages on the other
side of the glass. So, with apologies to Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, here
they are…"
http://uxpamagazine.org/the-five-stages-of-grief/

Jobs-to-Be-Done vs. Personas (Video)
By Page Laubheimer.
"Jobs-to-be-done and personas are tools that identify user needs and
attitudes. Each tool focuses on different aspects of the use
experience and are compatible."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/jobs-be-done-vs-personas/

Live Accessibility And Performance Audits at SmashingConf Toronto (Videos)
By Markus Seyfferth.
"At SmashingConf Toronto, attendees got to participate in live
performance and accessibility audits with our speakers Marcy Sutton
and Tim Kadlec. Watching an expert assess these critical areas can
help you to perform your own audits…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/10/smashingconf-toronto-a11y-performance-audits/

+06: EVENTS.

Accessibility and Color Blindness in UX
October 29, 2018.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/accessibility-and-color-blindness-in-ux-registration-51383626811

Accessibility Scotland
November 9, 2018.
Edinburgh, Scotland.
https://accessibility.scot

An Event Apart San Francisco
December 10-12, 2018.
San Francisco, Califorina, U.S.A.
https://aneventapart.com/event/san-francisco-2018

Let's Not Ignore the People That Matter in Accessibility Testing
December 13, 2018.
Online
http://www.accessibilityassociation.org/content.asp?admin=Y&contentid=521

Hong Kong UX Conference
January 21-25, 2019.
Hong Kong, China
https://www.nngroup.com/training/hong-kong/

Los Angeles UX Conference
February 24-March 1, 2019.
Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
https://www.nngroup.com/training/los-angeles/

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

aria-rowindex Property
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"aria-rowindex property is used on a table, grid or a treegrid where
all the rows are currently not present…"
http://www.maxability.co.in/2018/10/aria-rowindex-property/

33 Concepts Every JavaScript Developer Should Know
By Leonardo Maldonado et al.
"This repository was created with the intention of helping developers
master their concepts in JavaScript. It is not a requirement, but a
guide for future studies. It is based on an article written by Stephen
Curtis and you can read it here. Feel free to contribute…"
https://github.com/leonardomso/33-js-concepts

I Have Resigned as the WordPress Accessibility Team Lead. Here is Why.
By Brad Frost.
"…JavaScript is eating the world…"
http://bradfrost.com/blog/link/i-have-resigned-as-the-wordpress-accessibility-team-lead-here-is-why/

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

Some Gutenberg Accessibility Clarifications
By Joe Dolson.
"…I've noticed a few specific trends that I think need clarification…"
https://www.joedolson.com/2018/10/some-gutenberg-accessibility-clarifications/

(Wordpress) Team Meeting October 15, 2018
By Sami Keijonen.
"…all agreed that Rian Rietveld is awesome. There is no way we can fit
in her shoes. But hopefully we have shoes of our own."
https://make.wordpress.org/accessibility/2018/10/23/team-meeting-october-15-2018/

Rehabilitating Google AMP: My Failed Attempt
By Chris Graham.
"…To me this is all just another example of a company operating a
closed process, not willing to collaborate openly as peers. The Ivory
Tower development methodology…"
https://www.socpub.com/articles/rehabilitating-google-amp-my-failed-attempt-16258

+09: PHP.

PHP Control Structures and Loops: if, else, for, foreach, while and More
By Sajal Soni.
"Today, we're going to discuss control structures and loops in PHP…"
https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php-control-structures-and-loops--cms-31999

Avoiding Setter Injection
By Brandon Savage.
"PHP more or less has two kinds of dependency injection available:
constructor injection, and setter injection…"
https://www.brandonsavage.net/avoiding-setter-injection/

Trigonometry, Random Numbers and More With Built-in PHP Math Functions
By Monty Shokeen.
"This tutorial will introduce you to the built-in math functions in
PHP for doing trigonometry, exponentiation, and logarithm
calculations. We'll also look at rounding and generating random
numbers…"
https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mathematical-functions-in-php--cms-31972

+10: TOOLS.

Colour Contrast Analyser (CCA) v1.0.0
By The Paciello Group.
"We've just released the first stable version of the new Colour
Contrast Analyser (CCA) for Windows and macOS - completely rewritten
from the ground up, using Electron…"
https://github.com/ThePacielloGroup/CCAe/releases/tag/v1.0.0

Free Live Transcript
By Mark Noonan et al.
"This is an open-source exporation of creating live transcripts of
speech on the web, that can be displayed (and edited) in real time on
a big screen, or watched on anybody's personal device…"
https://freelivetranscript.com/

+11: TYPOGRAPHY.

Variable Fonts: The Future of Typography
By Jason Pamental.
"…The advent of variable fonts changes that entire dynamic. As
described by John Hudson, a variable font is a single font that acts
as many: All the variations of width and weight, slant, and even
italics can be contained in a single, highly efficient, and
compressible font file…"
http://uxpamagazine.org/variable-fonts/

+12: USABILITY.

Sliders are Bad for your Credit Union Website Design
By Derik Krauss.
"…Though sliders are incredibly prominent, they are remarkably bad for
user experience. In this article, I'll lay out the evidence against
sliders and share some better alternatives…"
https://www.cuinsight.com/sliders-are-bad-for-your-credit-union-website-design.html

What Could an Intelligent Assistant Do for You?
By Raluca Budiu and Kathryn Whitenton.
"There are big gaps between what users need to do, what they actually
do, and what is possible to do with today's intelligent assistants."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/intelligent-assistant-user-needs/

Microinteractions in User Experience
By Alita Joyce.
"Microinteractions convey system status, support error prevention, and
communicate brand. They are initiated by a trigger, are
single-purpose, and can make the experience engaging.
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/microinteractions/

Exciting Times Ahead for UX (Video)
By Don Norman.
"New technologies such as autonomous cars, Artificial Intelligence
(AI), and Augmented Reality (AR) mean exciting challenges for UX to
solve, according to Don Norman."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/exciting-times-ahead-ux-don-norman/

iPhones are Hard to Use
By Joe Clark.
"…I know 'hard to use' when I see it. iPhones are hard to use…"
https://blog.fawny.org/2018/10/22/hardtouse/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson
University of Minnesota Duluth
Duluth, MN U.S.A. 55812-3009
mailto:lcarlson@d.umn.edu

[Issue ends.]
Preview YouTube video 17-55504 Guillermo Robles v. Dominos Pizza LLC