Topics

[webdev] Web Design Update: October 4, 2018

David Dillard

[webdev] Web Design Update: October 4, 2018

Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>

Oct 4, 2018, 7:32 AM
to webdev
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 15, October 4, 2018.

design and development.

++ISSUE 15 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: COLOR.
04: EVALUATION & TESTING.
05: EVENTS.
06: JAVASCRIPT.
07: MISCELLANEOUS.
08: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.
09: TOOLS.
10: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Exploring WCAG 2.1 - 2.5.5 Target Size
By Becky Gibson.
"We are nearing the end of our series on the new WCAG 2.1 Success
Criteria. We return to the topic of mobile accessibility with the last
two new success criteria, both at level AAA. This post will review
2.5.5 Target Size under guideline 2.5, Input Modalities…"
https://knowbility.org/blog/2018/WCAG21-255TargetSize/

Online Video Accessibility
By Terrill Thompson.
Video and slides from Terrill's September 20, 2018 presentation for
the Great Lakes ADA Center are available.
https://www.accessibilityonline.org/ada-tech/archives/110664

A11Y Style Guide
By Carie Fisher.
"This application is a living style guide or pattern library,
generated from KSS documented styles…with an accessibility twist…"
http://a11y-style-guide.com/style-guide/

Heck Yes, Accessibility - Let's Make the Future Awesome
By Mischa Andrews.
"Want a future with amazing technology? Prioritize and demand accessibility…"
https://uxdesign.cc/future-tech-accessibility-e93600e8917e

VPAT Version 2.x
By Jay Wyant.
"Understanding the changes and requirements…"
https://mn.gov/mnit/media/blog/?id=38-352362

Scoring Accessibility
By Margaret Klein.
"Addressing Accessibility in the RFP Process…"
https://mn.gov/mnit/media/blog/?id=38-352361

WAI-ARIA Graphics Module 1.0 and Graphics Accessibility API Mappings
1.0 are W3C Recommendations
By Coralie Mercier.
"The Accessible Rich Internet Applications Working Group has published
WAI-ARIA Graphics Module 1.0 (Graphics-ARIA) and Graphics
Accessibility API Mappings 1.0 (Graphics-AAM) as W3C Recommendations.
Graphics-ARIA defines core roles specific to web graphics which allow
an author to express the logical structure of the graphic to assistive
technologies in order improve accessibility of graphics.…"
https://www.w3.org/blog/news/archives/7341

Department of Justice Affirms ADA's Coverage of Websites
By Lainey Feingold.
"…This is a post about a letter from the United States Department of
Justice. The letter is about the Americans with Disabilities Act and
web sites. In the letter the Department says it will not make new
rules about websites and access for disabled people. This is good news
because the ADA already applies to websites. The letter says the
Department has read the ADA to apply to public accommodations'
websites for more than twenty years."
https://www.lflegal.com/2018/09/doj-cut

DoJ Refuses Request to Issue ADA Guidance for Websites
By Credit Union Times.
"More than 100 lawsuits have been filed against CUs alleging that the
websites are not accessible to people with disabilities."
https://www.cutimes.com/2018/09/26/doj-refuses-request-to-issue-ada-guidance-for-webs/

Court Says Website Access Case for Deaf May Proceed
By National Association of the Deaf.
"In a case of first impression and a major vindication for disability
rights, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Court has ruled that deaf and hard of hearing people are not required
to file a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
before they can sue under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
and Rehabilitation Act for a denial of web access."
https://www.nad.org/2018/10/03/court-says-website-access-case-for-deaf-may-proceed/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Creating Flexible Layouts with Flexbox
By Tiffany Brown.
"The following introduction to Flexbox is an extract from Tiffany's
upcoming book, CSS Master…"
https://www.sitepoint.com/creating-flexible-layouts-with-flexbox/

Your CSS Layout Toolkit for 2019
By Rachel Andrew.
Slides and resources for Rachel newest presentation.
https://noti.st/rachelandrew/QEhSSc/your-css-layout-toolkit-for-2019

+03: COLOR.

The Basics and Importance of Color Contrast for Web Accessibility
By Bureau of Internet Accessibility.
"For digital accessibility, the concept of color contrast is as
critical as it is simple.…"
https://www.boia.org/blog/the-basics-and-importance-of-color-contrast-for-web-accessibility

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Ideation Techniques for a One-Person UX Team (Video)
By Aurora Harley.
"Even a lone UX wolf can ideate design options, and structured
ideation techniques help you explore the design space."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/ideation-one-person-ux-team/

The Word 'Validate' Undermines UX Effectiveness (Video)
By Kara Pernice.
"Our words define UX research goals for users, stakeholders, and
teams. Turning UX research into improved design is already
challenging. Why make it more so by setting unsuitable expectations
with the words we use to describe research?"
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/word-validate-undermines-ux-effectiveness/

+05: EVENTS.

WebAIM Training
October 9-10, 2018.
December 4-5, 2018.
Logan, Utah, U.S.A.
https://webaim.org/training

So, You Decided to Start a Research Program
October 11, 2018.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
http://uxpamn.org/event-3040828

San Francisco Accessibility Bootcamp November 12-15, 2018.
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/san-francisco-accessibility-bootcamp-tickets-46889169769

Full Stack Toronto 2018
November 29-30, 2018.
Toronto, Canada
https://www.fsto.co/

UX Conference Las Vegas
December 1-7, 2018.
Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A.
https://www.nngroup.com/training/las-vegas/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

A Minimal JavaScript Setup
By Georgy Marchuk.
"…I guess the main point of this article is that you don't need a
framework to write maintainable and reusable code. Following and
enforcing a few concepts (that frameworks use as well) can take you
far on its own…"
https://css-tricks.com/a-minimal-javascript-setup/

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

There's Power in Your Choices. This is a Post About Chrome.
By Jon Christopher.
"…There's a war on privacy in our world of Web development. As we have
choice in the places we shop and the food we eat, we have a choice
here too…"
https://jonchristopher.us/blog/choosing-chrome/

Hack on MDN
By Adrian Roselli.
"Last week Mozilla brought together a group of smart people (and me)
who work in or near accessibility to spend a long weekend updating the
MDN Web Docs…"
http://adrianroselli.com/2018/09/hack-on-mdn.html

+08: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

Web Developer Representation in W3C
By Peter-Paul Koch.
"During its annual general member meeting on October 19th, the
Fronteers board will propose both to become a member of the World Wide
Web Consortium (W3C) and to hire Rachel Andrew as our representative
in that standards body…"
https://alistapart.com/article/web-developer-representation-in-w3c

+09: TOOLS.

Link Contrast Checker
By WebAIM.
"This new tool makes it easy to measure the complex WCAG contrast
requirements for links that are not underlined within body text."
https://webaim.org/resources/linkcontrastchecker/

Picular
"Google, but for colors."
https://picular.co/

HTML Colors
By Franco Maldonado.
https://htmlcolors.com

Gradient Hunt
By Franco Maldonado.
"an open collection of gradients"
https://gradienthunt.com

Lorem Ipsum Generator
"Tool to generate latin placeholder texts commonly used to fulfill empty areas."
https://lorem-ipsum-generator.com/

+10: USABILITY.

Individualized Recommendations: Users' Expectations and Assumptions
By Aurora Harley.
"Users appreciate personalized content suggestions and are willing to
give up some of their privacy for quality recommendations, while
accepting some inaccurate recommendations."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/recommendation-expectations/

Storytelling in UX Research
By David Travis.
"UX researchers are storytellers who have devised tools like personas
and user journey maps to tell the story of their research. Focusing on
the story, rather than the tool, is a powerful way to become more
effective…"
https://www.userfocus.co.uk/articles/storytelling-in-ux-research.html

E-Commerce Checkouts Need to Mark Both Required and Optional Fields
Explicitly (Only 14% Do So)
By Edward Scott.
"Marking both required and optional fields in the checkout is a
controversial area of form usability…"
https://baymard.com/blog/required-optional-form-fields

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson