Topics

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 44, April 25, 2019.

David Dillard

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 44, April 25, 2019.

design and development.

++ISSUE 44 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.
06: JAVASCRIPT.
07: MISCELLANEOUS.
08: NAVIGATION.
09: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.
10: NAVIGATION.
11: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

A Technical and Cultural Assessment of the Mueller Report PDF
By Duff Johnson.
"…In addition to not being searchable, the file contains no text, is
not tagged, and is therefore not accessible to disabled users. The US
Department of Justice has a clear policy of ensuring that public
documents comply with Section 508 regulations, and are therefore
accessible to users with disabilities. The Mueller Report PDF does not
conform with these regulations…"
https://www.pdfa.org/a-technical-and-cultural-assessment-of-the-mueller-report-pdf/

DoJ Reposts the Mueller Report
By Duff Johnson.
"As reported within hours by Quartz, four days after its initial
release and fanfare-free, the US Department of Justice re-posted the
Mueller Report PDF with a few improvements. They also added a few
problems…"
https://www.pdfa.org/doj-reposts-the-mueller-report/

Move Ya! Or Maybe, Don't, if the User prefers-reduced-motion!
By Thomas Steiner.
"…Respecting user preferences is key for modern websites, and browsers
expose more and more features to enable web developers to do so. The
CSS Working Group are currently standardizing more user preference
media queries…"
https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2019/03/prefers-reduced-motion

Unintentionally Tabling Table Semantics
By Scott O'Hara.
"I feel like I have a knack for finding bugs and uncovering oddities
in how HTML and/or ARIA is exposed to browsers' accessibility trees…"
https://www.scottohara.me/blog/2019/04/19/tabled-tables.html

Accessibility in Agile Transformational Practices
By Dylan Barrell.
"By implementing these accessibility practices into your agile
processes, agile teams can sustainably defeat the accessibility hydra
dragon."
https://www.deque.com/blog/accessibility-in-agile-transformational-practices/

Automatic Captions: Are They Helping or Hindering Students?
By Jaclyn Leduc.
"…Inaccurate captions negatively affect the perceived quality of video
content, but more importantly, they don't adequately communicate the
message of the video to those who rely on captions to engage with
video content…"
https://www.3playmedia.com/2019/04/23/automatic-captions-helping-hindering-students/

Artificial Intelligence Is Good, but Is It Good Enough for Captions?
By Elisa Edelberg.
"…when it comes to purely automated captioning solutions, there are no
solutions on the horizon that will address all of the challenges posed
by the captioning task. Technology just doesn't have the same
capability that humans do…"
https://www.3playmedia.com/2019/04/24/artificial-intelligence-is-good-but-is-it-good-enough-for-captions/

Video Captions: Sometimes You Only Need to Ask
By Deborah Edwards-Onoro.
"…I've learned that sharing the poor video autocaptions is a powerful
way to encourage video producers to caption their videos…"
https://www.lireo.com/video-captions-sometimes-you-only-need-to-ask/

How To Caption Your Instagram Stories To Make Them More Accessible
(Hat tip to Meryl Evans)
By Mika Doyle.
"If you follow Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on social media, you might be
wondering how AOC captions her Instagram stories…"
https://www.bustle.com/p/how-to-caption-your-instagram-stories-to-make-them-more-accessible-17047616

What's New in Accessibility in 2019
By Jonathan Hassell.
"This is the final part of my review of what is happening across the
Digital Accessibility Ecosystem in 2019…"
https://www.hassellinclusion.com/blog/accessibility-2019-standards-cms-frameworks-design-thinking/

The Coming Web Crack-Up
By Peter Slatin.
"…more appropriate words are deprivation and discrimination when
recognizing this for what it is: denial of service…"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterslatin/2019/04/21/the-coming-web-crack-up/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Input with label hidden using display:none or even visibility:hidden
By Steve Faulkner.
"Sometimes developers hide label elements using display:none or even
visibility:hidden in an attempt to provide the label text to
screenreader users, while not displaying it visually. Unfortunately
when hidden using these particular CSS properties the for/id
programmatic association is broken…"
https://s.codepen.io/stevef/debug/LvgBmv

Inclusively Hidden
By Scott O'Hara.
"There are various ways to hide content in web interfaces, but are you
aware of the different effects they have on the accessibility of that
content?…"
https://www.scottohara.me/blog/2017/04/14/inclusively-hidden.html

That Time I Tried Browsing the Web Without CSS
By Jon Kantner.
"…A WebAIM survey from 2018 reported that 12.5% of users who rely on
any sort of assisted technology browse the web with custom
stylesheets, which can include doing away with every CSS declaration
across a site. And, if we're talking about slow internet connections,
ditching CSS could be one way to consume content faster. There’s also
the chance that CSS is disabled for reasons outside our immediate
control, like when a server has hiccups of fails to load assets. As an
experiment, I used five websites and a web app without CSS, and this
post will cover my experiences…"
https://css-tricks.com/that-time-i-tried-browsing-the-web-without-css/

CSS Subgrid News and Demos
By Rachel Andrew.
"A couple of weeks ago I spoke at Frontend NE in Newcastle, a big part
of my talk was explaining what the CSS Grid Subgrid feature from Grid
Level 2 would contain…"
https://rachelandrew.co.uk/archives/2019/04/16/css-subgrid-news-and-demos/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Why You Should Measure UX Attitudes
By Jeff Sauro.
"…If you want to understand and predict user behavior, you need to
understand attitudes. But what is an attitude?…"
https://measuringu.com/ux-attitudes/

+04: EVENTS.

Mobile Office Hours: Accessible Carousels
April 29, 2019.
Online
https://accessibility.deque.com/mobile-office-hours-accessible-carousels

ADA and the Internet
May 16, 2019.
Online
https://levelaccess.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_niw0Aq9dRCCkcxGvEK-Ufw

Keynote by Bruce Lawson on How To Make Loveliness: an HTML Treasure Hunt
June 24, 2019.
London, England, United Kingdom
https://skillsmatter.com/meetups/11798-diversity-matters

CoderCruise
August 17-22, 2019.
Jacksonville, Florida, U.S.A.
https://www.codercruise.com/

National Association of Government Web (NAGW) Conference
September 18-20, 2019.
Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A.
https://nagw.org/content.php?page=conference

Big Design
September 19-21, 2019.
Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.
https://bigdesignevents.com/

The Fact & Fiction of Document Accessibility
September 30, 2019.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/Accessibility-Twin-Cities/events/258338022/

+05: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Everyday Information Architecture: Auditing for Structure
By Lisa Maria Martin.
"We're pleased to share an excerpt from Chapter 4 of Lisa Maria
Martin's Everyday Information Architecture, from A Book Apart…"
https://alistapart.com/article/everyday-information-architecture-excerpt/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

12 Tips for More Accessible React Apps (Slides, React Finland 2019)
By Manuel Matuzovic.
"If you want to improve the accessibility of your React apps but you
don't know how or where to start, this talk is just what you need…"
https://www.matuzo.at/blog/12-tips-for-more-accessible-react-apps-slides-react-finland-2019/

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

Would Life be Happier Without Google? I Spent a Week Finding Out
By Tim Dowling.
"People had to get by without the search engine giant before it was
launched in 1998. But is it possible to live your life - and do your
job - without it these days…"
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/apr/17/would-life-be-happier-without-google-i-spent-a-week-finding-out

Front-End Developer Handbook 2019
By Cody Lindley.
"This is a guide that anyone could use to learn about the practice of
front-end development. It broadly outlines and discusses the practice
of front-end engineering: how to learn it and what tools are used when
practicing it in 2018…"
https://frontendmasters.com/books/front-end-handbook/2019/

Inclusive: What is It?
By Jess Mitchell.
"…Inclusive isn't easy. It's often not comfy. And we know that we
avoid uncomfy…"
https://medium.com/@jesshmitchell/inclusive-what-is-it-55acfd8094dd

Accessibility with Heydon Pickering (Podcast)
By Dave Rupert and Chris Coyier.
"We're chatting with Heydon Pickering about accessibility, using
pre-built solutions past their best before date, everyone's varying
degrees of proficiency, and whether accessibility is becoming second
nature to more people…"
https://shoptalkshow.com/episodes/355/

+08: NAVIGATION.

Enriching Search Results Through Structured Data
By Google.
"For many years we have been recommending the use of structured data
on websites to enable a richer search experience. When you add markup
to your content, you help search engines understand the different
components of a page…"
https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2019/04/enriching-search-results-structured-data.html

+09: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

Introducing USWDS 2.0
By Dan O. Williams and Maya Benari.
"Today, we're launching U.S. Web Design System 2.0 (USWDS 2.0), a new
foundation for the future of our design system…"
https://v2.designsystem.digital.gov/whats-new/updates/2019/04/08/introducing-uswds-2-0/

+10: USABILITY.

Icons: Avoid Temptation and Start with User Needs
By Ben Cullimore.
"Icons can be a useful way to represent ideas simply. Ben Cullimore,
Interaction Designer in the team which redesigned the NHS website,
explains how they decided on the most effective icons to use…"
https://digital.nhs.uk/blog/transformation-blog/2019/icons-avoid-temptation-and-start-with-user-needs

Designing Button Focus States for Better Usability
By Elizabeth Schafer.
"…buttons have more than one state. The default state we just created
looks good so far, but we need to make sure that it also looks
noticeably different when it's focused. Many people exclusively use
keyboards to navigate, and rely on the focus state to know where they
are on the page…"
https://dev.to/elizabethschafer/designing-button-focus-states-for-better-usability-gm2

Customer-Focused Content: Creating Content People Want and Need
By Jennifer Leigh Brown.
"…In this article, learn what customer-centric content is and how it
leads to better outcomes for brands, businesses, and creative teams…"
https://www.uxbooth.com/articles/customer-focused-content-creating-content-people-want-and-need/

UX Responsibilities in Scrum Ceremonies
By Anna Kaley.
"As part of an Agile team, UX professionals should participate in all
Scrum ceremonies in order to maintain open communication, influence
product success, and productively contribute to the team."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/ux-scrum/

Sympathy vs. Empathy in UX
By Sarah Gibbons.
"The majority of UX professionals practice sympathy instead of empathy
for their users."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/sympathy-vs-empathy-ux/

3 Myths About Teens and Tech (Video)
By Alita Joyce.
"Debunked myths about how teenagers use computers and technology,
based on our usability research with users aged 13-17 years."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/myths-teens-tech/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson