Topics

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 41, April 2, 2019.

David Dillard

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 41, April 2, 2019.

design and development.

++ISSUE 41 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: DRUPAL.
04: EVALUATION & TESTING.
05: EVENTS.
06: JAVASCRIPT.
07: TOOLS.
08: TYPOGRAPHY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Buttons vs. Links
By Kim Wee.
"Learn the difference and when to use them…"
https://mn.gov/mnit/media/blog/?id=38-376674

Do Plain Language
By Anne Sittner-Anderson.
"When fancy talk and shop talk are big don'ts…"
https://mn.gov/mnit/media/blog/?id=38-376673

Caption10: Part 3, Synchronized (Video)
By Meryl K. Evans.
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6516713127088836608/

Caption10: Part 4, Size (Video)
By Meryl K. Evans.
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6517078434668179457/

Caption10: Part 5, Position (Video)
By Meryl K. Evans.
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6517359192297267200/

Caption10: Part 6, Indicating Sound (Video)
By Meryl K. Evans.
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6518549881106292737

Checklist for Creating Accessible Videos
By Bureau of Internet Accessibility.
"An accessible video usually includes captions; a transcript; and
careful use of color, text, and flashes or animation. A video should
also be delivered in an accessible format with an accessible media
player, and may include additional audio description when the default
audio track isn't sufficient…"
https://www.boia.org/blog/checklist-for-creating-accessible-videos

Using WCAG 2.1 (PDF)
By Alastair Campbell.
Alastair's @A11y_Leed presentation slides.
https://alastairc.uk/presentations/wcag21/A11y-Leeds-WCAG21_2019-04-01.pdf
Article version:
https://www.nomensa.com/blog/2017/web-accessibility-guidelines-and-how-use-them

Best Chart Accessibility Practices
By Denis Kryukov.
"In this article, I will share with you the best chart accessibility
practices, and how you can practically create an effective
accessibility friendly charts."
https://www.highcharts.com/blog/post/best-chart-accessibility-practices/

The 'Perilous Pitfalls' of Accessibility Maturity
By Sheri Byrne-Haber.
"…This article is my take on the UX pitfalls identified in the HFI
article as applied to accessibility…"
https://medium.com/@sheribyrnehaber/the-perilous-pitfalls-of-accessibility-maturity-a5cdba1bfec7

Apple's New Feature a Step Towards Digital Apartheid
By Hampus Sethfors.
"…I think it's safe to say that Apple has some serious explanation to
do here. Both around the feature and the non-existent documentation
around it. Hopefully it's just a mistake, wasn't supposed to be rolled
out or something similar. Until that is confirmed though, I think it's
time for the accessibility community to protest rather loudly."
https://axesslab.com/digital-apartheid/

Alexa 100 Accessibility Update #2
By Jared Smith.
"This analysis of the top 100 sites in 2011, 2017, and today suggest
that accessibility may be improving."
https://webaim.org/blog/alexa-100-update-2/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

How To Align Things In CSS
By Rachel Andrew.
"There are a few ways to align elements in CSS. In this article,
Rachel Andrew explains what they are with some tips to help you
remember which to use and why…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2019/03/css-alignment/

Breaking CSS Custom Properties Out of :root Might Be a Good Idea
By Kevin Powell.
"…In this article, we'll be exploring: 1.) Why we put custom
properties on the :root to begin with. 2.) Why global scoping isn't
right for everything. 3.) How to overcome class clashing with locally
scoped custom properties…"
https://css-tricks.com/breaking-css-custom-properties-out-of-root-might-be-a-good-idea/

+03: DRUPAL.

Drupal's Angela Byron On Building A Diverse Community
By Caleb Kaiser.
"She has helped build one of the most welcoming communities in open
source that exists today…"
https://angel.co/blog/drupals-angela-byron-on-building-a-diverse-community

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

A Warning About Automated Accessibility 'Warnings'
By Scott O'Hara.
"…just because a warning pops up, or your 'accessibility score'
doesn't reach a perfect 100%, you should still verify that these
warnings are actually issues to solve for…"
https://www.scottohara.me/blog/2019/03/26/a-warning-about-warnings.html

Think Like an Accessible UX Researcher Part 2: How Many Participants?
By David Sloan.
"This is the second in a series of posts looking at the advice
provided in the excellent book Think like a UX Researcher, by David
Travis and Philip Hodgson, from the perspective of involving people
with disabilities in UX research…"
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2019/03/think-like-an-accessible-ux-researcher-part-2/

Personas: Why is it Important to Understand Your Users?
By Keep It Usable.
"Personas are amazing! If you don't have them or if you have them but
don't use them (what a waste!) then you're missing out on a whole host
of business benefits. Let's have a quick look at these before we dive
more into what personas are and how they fit into the design process…"
https://www.keepitusable.com/blog/personas-why-is-it-important-to-understand-your-users/

+05: EVENTS.

What to Expect from an Accessibility Audit
April, 9, 2019.
Online
https://accessibility.deque.com/what-to-expect-from-an-accessibility-audit

A Complaint has been filed. Now What? Strategies for accessibility
remediation and prioritization for future compliance (American Library
Association)
April 24, 2019.
Online
https://ala-events.zoom.us/webinar/register/e88cdf3b18379889cde7dc3c8da9331e

A11y- Basic Web Accessibility
May 8, 2019.
Online
https://www.eastersealstech.com/a11y/

Markup UK
June 7-9, 2019.
London, England, United Kingdom
https://markupuk.org/index.xhtml

integrATe 2019
June 17-21, 2019.
Online
https://sites.google.com/view/integrate2019

UX Australia
August 27-30, 2019.
Sydney, Australia
http://www.uxaustralia.com.au/conferences/ux-australia-2019

Smashing Magazine Conference
September 9-10, 2019.
Freiburg, Germany
https://smashingconf.com/freiburg-2019/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

Responsible JavaScript: Part I
By Jeremy Wagner.
"The web is drowning in a sea of JavaScript, awash with unnecessary
bloat, inaccessible cruft, and unsustainable patterns. Jeremy Wagner
plots a course to navigate the JavaScript Sea responsibly by building
the right things the right way and using the web platform the way it
was meant to be used."
https://alistapart.com/article/responsible-javascript-part-1

Yet Another JavaScript Framework
By Jason Hoffman.
"…when a situation arises that is in full view and, ultimately,
preventable, is the proper course of action to try and pull the web
forward or to ensure that the web in its current form continues to
function even as technology advances? This only leads to more
questions. Who should be responsible for making these decisions?
Should every library be actively maintained in some way, ad infinitum,
even when best practices shift to anti-patterns? What is our
obligation, as developers, for sites we know have been abandoned? And,
most importantly, how can we best serve the many different users of
the web while still giving developers new programmatic tools? These
are the same questions that we continue to return to, and they have
been at the core of discussions like progressive enhancement,
responsive design and accessibility…"
https://css-tricks.com/yet-another-javascript-framework/

+07: TOOLS.

All As
"Are your URLs too short? Lengthen your URLs conveniently and share
your links without ambiguity…"
http://aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.com/

+08: TYPOGRAPHY.

Intro to Font Metrics
By Weston Thayer.
"Font files contain a wealth of information about a typeface. Whether
you're a designer or a developer, learning more about how fonts work
can open new doors in how you work and what you create.…"
http://westonthayer.com/writing/intro-to-font-metrics/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson