Topics

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 39, March 21, 2019.

David Dillard

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 39, March 21, 2019.

design and development.

++ISSUE 39 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: HTML.
06: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.
07: JAVASCRIPT.
08: MISCELLANEOUS.
09: NAVIGATION.
10: TOOLS.
11: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Your Accessibility Toolbar Doesn't Help
By Joe Dolson.
"Mr. Borghi is not certain whether adding this unidentified WordPress
plug-in made him fully compliant - but I can readily suggest an
answer: No, it didn't…"
https://www.joedolson.com/2019/03/your-accessibility-toolbar-doesnt-help/

WCAG 2.1 Accessibility Checklist
By Access W3.
"Dynamic Checklist with Success Criteria copied from WCAG 2.1 Standard…"
http://accessw3.com/wcag21-accessibility-checklist.html

Collecting Dates in an Accessible Way
By Graham Armfield.
"…this post looks at the pros and cons of a variety of methods for
collecting date, and our views on the best practices…"
https://www.hassellinclusion.com/blog/collecting-dates-accessible/

Accessibility, a Powerful Design Tool
By Hubert Florin.
"…Accessibility is not a constraint: It is a design philosophy that
encourages you to make better choices for your users, and helps you
focus on what really matters. Simplicity will always be the most
difficult target to reach in a design, and accessibility can be one of
the best tools to get you there…"
https://slack.design/accessibility-a-powerful-design-tool-22f5e6d46278

Diversity and Design
By Dana Morgan.
"How inclusive design and accessibility can make a difference with
everyday products…"
https://medium.com/@morgan.dana/diversity-and-design-4a768ac2d162

Summary of CSUN ATC 2019
By Dennis Lembrée.
"…few announcements made, photos, and some fun tweets! Lastly, links
to past CSUN events are listed…"
http://www.webaxe.org/summary-of-csun-atc-2019/

Great Big List - CSUN 2019 Presentation Links
By Dennis Lembrée and Christopher Phillips.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CupKIhw9CZXbbOw48Upw_V4F5soEsLvblnbwZXqAvX4/

CSUN 2019 Round-up
By Steve Faulkner.
"Every year the people of TPG make the pilgrimage to CSUN…"
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2019/03/csun-2019-round-up/

Top 36 Web Accessibility Resources for Digital Marketing Companies
By Kim Krause Berg.
"…The purpose of this article is to provide you with: The best tools
for accessibility testing. Recommendations for trusted accessibility
testing companies. A list of reputable people and resources in the
accessibility industry…"
https://www.searchenginejournal.com/web-accessibility-resources-digital-marketing-companies/297271/

Q&A: The Forest and the Trees: Scaling for Enterprise-Level Digital
Accessibility
By Samantha Sauld.
"…Kathryn Weber-Hottleman, who serves as UCONN's IT Accessibility
Coordinator, discusses how institutional accessibility impacts the
procurement process and pre-existing standalone digital products.
Below is the Q&A portion of the webinar…"
https://www.3playmedia.com/2019/03/19/qa-digital-accessibility/

The Web We Broke
By Ethan Marcotte.
"I read something last Monday, and I can't stop thinking about it…"
https://ethanmarcotte.com/wrote/the-web-we-broke/

Perpetuating Harm
By Winston Hearn.
"I've been thinking about the people that use the websites I build.
I've been thinking about them, because I've been learning how much who
they are differs from who I imagine them to be…"
https://www.winstonhearn.com/wrote/2019/perpetuating-harm/

Holy Cross Settles Lawsuit Over Website Accessibility for Blind Users
By Scott O'Connell.
"The College of the Holy Cross has reached a settlement with a New
York man who sued the college, saying its website was not accessible
to visually impaired users like himself, court records show…"
https://www.telegram.com/news/20190312/holy-cross-settles-lawsuit-over-website-accessibility-for-blind-users

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

How to Keep Your CSS Grid Layouts Accessible
By Anna Monus.
"…CSS Grid can also lead to accessibility issues, mainly for screen
reader and keyboard-only users. This guide will help you avoid those
issues…"
https://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/a-guide-to-css-grid-and-accessibility--cms-32857

Stacked 'Borders'
By Eric A. Meyer.
"…It turns out there are a number of tricks to create the effect of
stacking one border atop another by combining a border with some other
CSS effects, or even without actually requiring the use of any borders
at all. Let's explore, shall we…"
https://css-tricks.com/stacked-borders/

Why Can't I Set the Font Size of a Visited Link?
By James H. Fisher.
"…This security hole has been plugged by not allowing a:visited to set
the font-size…"
https://jameshfisher.com/2019/03/08/why-cant-i-set-the-font-size-of-a-visited-link/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Perform an Accessibility Review on Your Website
By Indiana University.
"These documents are intended for web developers, and provide a
holistic process for performing an initial pass of evaluating your
website for accessibility…"
https://kb.iu.edu/d/atmv

Keep Your Opinions Out of an Expert Design Review (Video)
By Aurora Harley.
"Critiquing a design is not the same as criticizing a design. Keep
opinions out of design reviews to remain objective and increase the
value of the design assessment."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/opinions-expert-design-review/

Do Survey Grids Affect Responses?
By Jeff Sauro.
"…While using a grid allows for a more compact presentation, does
combining the items into a grid of rating scales versus asking them in
isolation affect responses…"
https://measuringu.com/grids-responses/

+04: EVENTS.

User Experience Professionals Association (UXPA) Conference
June 25-27, 2019.
Scottsdale, Arizona, U.S.A.
http://uxpa2019.org/

Symposium on Eye Tracking Research
June 25-28, 2019.
Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.
https://etra.acm.org/2019/

Patterns Day
June 28, 2019.
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
https://patternsday.com/

AHEAD 2019, Equity & Excellence: Access in Higher Education
July 9-13, 2019.
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
https://www.ahead.org/events-programming/conferences/2019-equity-and-excellence

International Conference on Computers Helping People with Special Needs (ICCHP)
July 11-13, 2019.
Linz, Austria
https://www.icchp.org/

Design & Content Conference
July 17-19, 2019.
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
https://content.design/

HCI International
July 26-31, 2019.
Orlando, Florida, U.S.A.
http://2019.hci.international/

+05: HTML.

About the HTML Epidemic, WebAIM 'Millions' Report, and Teach Access
By Dennis Lembree.
"It's been about a dozen years since I first realized that there is a
world-wide HTML epidemic…"
http://www.webaxe.org/html-epidemic-webaim-millions-report-teach-access/

+06: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Why Website Information Architecture is the Ultimate Digital Team Sport
By Ian Roddis.
"…The question I asked at work (in a room of 20 people) was 'who owns
IA?'. As I'll say at the end, this was the wrong question, but it
stimulated a lot of views and caused a lot of reflection on my part…"
https://medium.com/@ianroddis/why-website-information-architecture-is-the-ultimate-digital-team-sport-40370974d888

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

The OpenJS Foundation Officially Formed for the JavaScript Community
By Christina Cardoza.
"The Linux Foundation today announced the formation of a new
JavaScript community…"
https://sdtimes.com/webdev/the-openjs-foundation-officially-formed-for-the-javascript-community/

The 'Developer Experience' Bait-and-Switch
By Alex Russell.
"we cannot continue to use as much JavaScript as is now 'normal' and
expect the web to flourish…"
https://infrequently.org/2018/09/the-developer-experience-bait-and-switch/

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

Canary in a Coal Mine: How Tech Provides Platforms for Hate
By Tatiana Mac.
"Like a mine can fill up with toxic gasses, technology can become a
toxic platform for hate. As the people building the web, we have an
ethical responsibility for how these products are used-whether we
intended it or not. ALA's own Tatiana Mac lays this out using her own
experience as a woman of color in tech."
https://alistapart.com/article/canary-in-a-coal-mine-how-tech-provides-platforms-for-hate

Accessibility within AR/VR: Jonathan Avila on the AT Banter Podcast
By Jonathan Avila.
"I recently had the pleasure of being a guest on AT Banter: An
Assistive Technology Podcastf…"
https://accessibility.dev/accessibility-within-ar-vr-jonathan-avila-on-the-at-banter-podcast/

Q&A With Léonie Watson, Accessibility Engineer and Director, TetraLogical
By Equal Entry.
"Léonie Watson is Director of TetraLogical, an inclusive design
company focused on emerging and existing technologies, customer
experience, and research and development, combined with a mix of
traditional accessibility consultancy…"
https://equalentry.com/qa-with-leonie-watson-accessibility-engineer-and-director-tetralogical/

I Used The Web For A Day On Internet Explorer 8
By Chris Ashton.
"IE8 was released a decade ago today. Chris Ashton tries it out
against the modern web, and considers how we can build our sites to
last…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2019/03/web-on-internet-explorer-ie8/

+09: NAVIGATION.

Contextual Menus: Delivering Relevant Tools for Tasks
By Anna Kaley.
"Contextual menus are displayed on demand and contain a small set of
relevant actions, related to a control, a piece of content, a view in
an app, or an area of the UI. When designed right, they deliver
relevant tools for completing tasks without adding clutter to the
interface."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/contextual-menus

+10: TOOLS.

CC Converter Tool: Convert Captions or Subtitle Files to Different
Formats Online
By 3PlayMedia.
"The caption format converter lets you convert from SRT (SubRip
subtitle) or from SBV to Flash DFXP, SMI or SAMI (Windows Media), SCC,
CPT.XML (Flash Captionate XML), QT (QuickTime), STL (Spruce Subtitle
File), and WebVTT (HTML5 media players). Note that for the SCC format,
your input file must have 32 characters or less per line…"
https://www.3playmedia.com/solutions/features/tools/captions-format-converter/

Microsoft Open Sources Accessibility Insights
By Keith Ballinger.
"Today we're announcing the open sourcing of Accessibility Insights
for Windows and Accessibility Insights for Web, a set of two free
tools to help developers easily find and fix common accessibility
issues early in the dev cycle…"
https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/opensource/2019/03/12/microsoft-open-sources-accessibility-insights/

Accessibility Insights
https://accessibilityinsights.io/

Axe Enters into New Forays
By Sathish Kumar.
"…In a recent joint press release at CSUN 2019, Deque Systems and
Microsoft have announced their partnership to release Axe for Android
and iOS…"
https://www.digitala11y.com/axe-enters-into-new-forays/

+11: USABILITY.

Teenager's UX: Designing for Teens
By Alita Joyce and Jakob Nielsen.
"Teens are (over)confident in their web abilities, but they perform
worse than adults. Lower reading levels, impatience, and undeveloped
research skills reduce teens' task success and require simple,
relatable sites.
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/usability-of-websites-for-teenagers/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson