Topics

TRANSPORTATION: RAILROAD: PASSENGER : COUNTRIES: GERMANY : RESIDENTIAL LIVING ARRANGEMENTS: German Woman Starts Living on a Train - Because She's Fed-up Paying Rent

David P. Dillard

..

..

TRANSPORTATION: RAILROAD: PASSENGER :

COUNTRIES: GERMANY :

RESIDENTIAL LIVING ARRANGEMENTS:

German Woman Starts Living on a Train -
Because She's Fed-up Paying Rent

..

..

German Woman Starts Living on a Train -
Because She's Fed-up Paying Rent

Rick Noack

Sunday 23 August 2015

The Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/german-woman- starts-living-on-a-train--because-shes-fedup-paying-rent-10467712.html

..

A shorter URL for the above link:

..

http://tinyurl.com/p5xrnlc

..

..

When others get off the train to finally go home, Leonie Mler stays behind. That's because she already is home. The train is her apartment, and she says she likes it that way.

..

The German college student gave up her apartment in spring. "It all started with a dispute I had with my landlord," Mler told The Washington Post via e-mail. "I instantly decided I didn't want to live there anymore and then I realized: Actually, I didn't want to live anywhere anymore."

..

Instead, she bought a subscription that allows her to board every train in the country for free. Now, Mler washes her hair in the train bathroom and writes her college papers while traveling at a speed of up to 190 mph.

..

snip

..

The 23-year-old's unusual housing choice has gained her media attention in Germany and appeared on national news sites such as Spiegel Online. "I read, I write, I look out of the window and I meet nice people all the time. There's always something to do on trains," Mler told German TV station SWR in an interview.

..

snip

..

So far, her experience contradicts studies that have recently claimed that "long commutes are killing you." And financially, she benefits from living on a train: The flat-rate ticket costs her about $380, whereas she had to pay about $450 for her previous apartment. However, living cheaper is not the only goal she has in mind.

..

"I want to inspire people to question their habits and the things they consider to be normal," Mler told The Post. "There are always more opportunities than one thinks there are. The next adventure is waiting just around the corner provided that you want to find it."

..

..

..

Research Guides