Topics

TERRORISM : COUNTRIES: FRANCE : TRANSPORTATION: RAILROAD: PASSENGER: France Train Shooting: Hollande Thanks 'Heroes' Who Foiled Gunman

David P. Dillard

..

..

TERRORISM :

COUNTRIES: FRANCE :

TRANSPORTATION: RAILROAD: PASSENGER:

France Train Shooting: Hollande Thanks 'Heroes' Who Foiled Gunman

..

..

France Train Shooting: Hollande Thanks 'Heroes' Who Foiled Gunman

BBC News

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34023361

..

..

French President Francois Hollande has thanked three American men hailed as heroes for overpowering a heavily-armed gunman on a train in northern France.

..

The incident happened on the high-speed Thalys service near Arras on Friday. A 26-year-old Moroccan man was arrested.

..

One of the Americans said they took an AK-47 assault rifle and a handgun from the attacker as they saw him walk down the aisle of the train.

..

snip

..

In a press conference on Saturday, French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said the suspect's identity had yet to be confirmed, but it was believed that he had radical Islamist beliefs.
'Chokehold'

..

Two of the American men who overpowered the gunman, Spencer Stone and Alek Skarlatos, are members of the Air Force and the National Guard respectively.

..

snip

..

When a French passenger tried to enter a toilet on the train, he encountered the gunman, tried to overpower him and the gun was then fired, Mr Cazeneuve said.

..

A French-American passenger was injured by the bullet, and the American passengers intervened shortly afterward, he said.

..

"Spencer got to the guy first and grabbed the guy by the neck," Mr Skarlatos told Sky News.

..

"I grabbed the handgun, got that away from the guy and threw it. Then I grabbed the AK-47, which was at his feet, and started muzzle-bumping him in the head with it.

..

"Everybody just started beating the guy while Spencer held the chokehold until he went unconscious."

..

When he checked the AK-47, Mr Skarlatos said it had jammed and would not have been able to fire. The cartridge for the handgun had also been dropped, he said.

..

Mr Sadler said: "I came to see my friends on my first trip in Europe, and we stopped a terrorist. Kinda crazy."

..

Mr Cazeneuve said Mr Hollande had thanked the men by telephone and will meet them in the coming days.

..

Chris Norman, a British man living in France, was also hurt while trying to subdue the attacker.

..

"I came in at the end of it all and helped get him under control," he said at a news conference in Arras.

..

..

..

..