Topics

SPORTS MEDICINE : MEDICAL: CONDITIONS: OBESITY : PHYSICAL EXERCISE AND FITNESS : FOOD DRINK NUTRITION DIET: DRINKS: SUGARY DRINKS : FOOD DRINK NUTRITION DIET: DIET: SUGAR CONTENT : ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS : PROPAGANDA : SCIENCE DENIAL : MEDIA: LITERACY : INFORMATION LITERACY : BUSINESS: CORPORATIONS: NAMED CORPORATIONS: COCA COLA : MEDICAL: RESEARCH: FUNDING: Coca-Cola Vows Transparency Following Widespread Criticism of Company-Funded Research

David P. Dillard

..

..

SPORTS MEDICINE :

MEDICAL: CONDITIONS: OBESITY :

PHYSICAL EXERCISE AND FITNESS :

FOOD DRINK NUTRITION DIET: DRINKS: SUGARY DRINKS :

FOOD DRINK NUTRITION DIET: DIET: SUGAR CONTENT :

ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS :

PROPAGANDA :

SCIENCE DENIAL :

MEDIA: LITERACY :

INFORMATION LITERACY :

BUSINESS: CORPORATIONS: NAMED CORPORATIONS: COCA COLA :

MEDICAL: RESEARCH: FUNDING:

Coca-Cola Vows Transparency
Following Widespread Criticism of Company-Funded Research

..

..

Coca-Cola Vows Transparency
Following Widespread Criticism of Company-Funded Research

The beverage giant has been forced to admit that a healthy diet and regular exercise are essential for a healthy lifestyle

August 21, 2015 | 03:10 PM

By Karen Lo, Editor

The Daily Meal

http://www.thedailymeal.com/news/drink/coca-cola-vows-be-more-
transparent-following-widespread-criticism-company-funded-research/82115

..

A shorter URL for the above link:

..

http://tinyurl.com/peob3y3

..

..

Coca-Colas CEO issued an apology for its mismanaged approach to dealing with the obesity epidemic and promised make the companys research investments more clear.

..

In response to a deluge of criticism over its latest marketing strategy, in which the company employed prominent scientists to support the less-than-credible idea that diet is far less important to public health than exercise, Coca-Cola has admitted that the way we have engaged the public health and scientific communities is not working.

..

In an editorial published to The Wall Street Journal, Coke CEO Muhtar Kent acknowledged that the companys approach to the obesity crisis was poorly planned, and pledged to institute more transparent methods of engagement in the future.

..

I am disappointed that some actions we have taken to fund scientific research and health and well-being programs have served only to create more confusion and mistrust, Kent wrote.

..

..

Group backed by Coca-Cola promotes exercise, not diet, as key to weight loss

By: Roberto Ferdman

The Washington Post

Published on Thu Aug 13 2015

The Star

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2015/08/13/coca-cola-wants-you-
to-think-exercise-is-more-of-a-factor-in-obesity-than-sugary-pop.html

..

A shorter URL for the above link:

..

http://tinyurl.com/pb3a53o

..

..

WASHINGTON

Leave it to the worlds largest seller of sugary drinks to tell people how to lose weight.

..

Amid a national obesity epidemic in the U.S., Coca-Cola has been quietly supporting a new non-profit organization called the Global Energy Balance Network (GEBN), the primary goal of which is to spread the message that we might be a little too worried about what we eat and drink.

..

The group, which was the subject of a recent New York Times piece, is led by a network of reputable scientists who have helped communicate that more exercise, not less food, is the key to a healthier lifestyle.

..

An inaugural video published last year depicts Steven Blair, the networks vice-president, communicating this very point.

..

Most of the focus in the popular media and in the scientific press is Oh theyre eating too much, eating too much, eating too much blaming fast food, blaming sugary drinks and so on, he says as two bottles of soda, both of which are manufactured by Coca-Cola, are shown.

..

Theres really virtually no compelling evidence that that, in fact, is the cause.

..

The suggestion is a provocative one, to say the least.

..

Many prominent institutions and health experts hold that there is compelling evidence that sugar is, indeed, partly responsible for rising obesity.

..

The Harvard School of Public Health says bluntly on its website that rising consumption of sugary drinks has been a major contributor to the obesity epidemic.

..

The schools website also cites several studies that establish sugary drinks, of which soda is the most prevalent example, increase the risk of obesity, diabetes and heart disease, among other things.

..

Exercise is the worlds best drug; its just not a weight-loss drug said Yoni Freedhoff, an obesity expert at the University of Ottawa.

..

There certainly isnt any consensus towards the idea that eating more and exercising more is the answer to obesity.

..

But theres another question here: whether its even possible to pursue honest research when its being funded by a corporate giant with very clear business objectives.

..

These sorts of relationships are fraught with peril in how they influence research, Freedhoff said.

..

I would say that its impossible to accept that much funding from a company like Coca-Cola and for there not to be a conflict of interest.

..

Freedhoff points to the Global Energy Balance Networks lack of transparency about its relationship with the global beverage giant as further evidence. If it truly wasnt an issue, he says, then the organization would flaunt, not obscure, it.

..

..

Coca-Cola to Disclose Its Spending on Research Into Soft Drinks and Health

By STEPHANIE STROM

August 20, 2015

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/21/business/coca-cola-to-disclose-
its-spending-on-research-into-soft-drinks-and-health.html

..

A shorter URL for the above link:

..

http://tinyurl.com/pdghxtd

..

..

Coca-Cola says it will begin disclosing its investments in scientific research and advocacy about the impact sugary soft drinks have on public health.

..

In an opinion article published online in The Wall Street Journal on Wednesday, Muhtar Kent, chief executive of Coca-Cola, also said the company would assemble a panel of independent advisers on its financial support for academic research.

..

As we continue to learn, it is my hope that our critics will receive us with an open mind, Mr. Kent wrote. At times we will agree and at times we will passionately disagree.

..

A front-page article in The New York Times this month revealed the financial ties between Coke and the Global Energy Balance Network, a nonprofit advocacy group that contends people worry too much about what they eat and not enough about how much they exercise.

..

Dr. Blair, a professor at the University of South Carolina, went on to suggest that the problem was not too many calories but rather not enough physical activity and exercise, and Coca-Cola has spent millions of dollars over the last several years in marketing to persuade people to get more active and on improvements to parks and playgrounds around the country.

..

On Thursday, however, Dr. Blair posted a statement on Global Energys website, saying he had asked the group to remove his video. I regret that a statement I made in this video has been used by some to brand G.E.B.N. as a network focusing only on physical activity, the statement said. This is not true and never has been true. From the beginning the mission of G.E.B.N. has been to study the science of energy balance, which involves both diet and physical activity.

..

Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition, food studies and public health at New York University, said it often was hard to determine the origins of research funding, so the decision by Coke to increase disclosure of its investment would be helpful.

..

..

Lawmaker to Coca-Cola: Act on promise to 'do better'

By Lydia Wheeler

08/20/15 04:17 PM EDT

The Hill

http://thehill.com/regulation/251604-lawmaker-urges-coca-cola-
to-follow-through-on-promise-to-do-better

..

A shorter URL for the above link:

..

http://tinyurl.com/otmx7s3

..

..

Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) wants Coca-Colas CEO to follow through on his promise that the company will do better.

..

snip

..

I am pleased by Mr. Kents public pronouncement that the way in which Coca-Cola engaged the public-health and scientific communities was ineffective, but the companys actions were possibly worse than that because they attempted to confuse the public, he said. I intend to hold Mr. Kent and Coca-Cola to account on their promises to do better, and look forward to learning more about their efforts.

..

..

Mum defends her boy after angry calls made to Coca-Cola

EVAN HARDING

Last updated 05:00, August 22 2015

Southland Times

Stuff.co.nz

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/71324372/ Mum-defends-her-boy-after-angry-calls-made-to-Coca-Cola

..

A shorter URL for the above link:

..

http://tinyurl.com/ph52jol

..

..

The Invercargill man under police investigation for making angry phone calls to fizzy drink giant Coca-Cola has suffered in recent years and just wants his kids back, his mother says.

..

Vivien Hodgkinson has come out in support of her son, Christopher, who has copped criticism on social media after it was revealed he made angry phone calls to Coca-Cola staff last week.

..

Hodgkinson blames Coca-Cola for his partner Natasha Harris' death in 2010. Harris drank up to 8 litres of coke a day for several years leading up to her death, with Otago-Southland coroner David Crerar later linking her death to excessive coke consumption.

..

Coca-Cola, however, argued the huge quantities of Coke Harris drank could not be proven to have contributed to her death.

..

Hodgkinson has been in the media for making angry calls to Coca-Cola twice since his partner's death in 2010.

..

The first time was in 2011 and the second time was last week. He said his calls last week were to ask Coca-Cola to help get his kids back.

..

His mother said on Friday she was in the room when her son made the calls to Coca-Cola. He did not threaten anyone but he was angry, she said.

..

"He said it was time they took responsibility for what their product did and [to] help him get his kids back."

..

Prior to Harris' death, she and Hodgkinson and their eight kids lived together and he worked in the meat works, his mother said.

..

He left his job to look after the 8 kids when Harris died, but his mother said he had been unable to cope with her death and had lost custody of his children, who were now in different homes around Southland.

..

..

Nigeria: Is Coca-Cola Shifting Blame for Obesity Away From Bad Diets?

By Chukwuma Muanya

The Guardian

All Africa

http://allafrica.com/stories/201508211558.html

..

..

THE Coca Cola Company and its prime products- Coke, Fanta and Sprite- have been enmeshed in controversy in recent times.

..

Last week, most of the top newspapers and journals in the United States and Britain such as New York Times, Medical News Today, The Telegraph, the Wall Street Journal, DailyMail UK among others were awash with stories on how Coca Cola was funding scientists who shift blame for obesity away from bad diets.

..

However, the Chief Technical Officer of The Coca-Cola Company, Dr. Ed Hays, in a statement made available to The Guardian through its local subsidiary, Coca Cola Nigeria, dismissed the reports but admitted funding research to find solutions to global chronic diseases' crisis.

..

Setting the record straight on Coca-Cola and scientific research, Hays said: "As the Chief Technical Officer of The Coca-Cola Company, I am responsible for developing new beverages, ensuring that all of our drinks are safe and overseeing our scientific research partnerships - and I was dismayed to read the recent New York Times' inaccurate portrayal of our company and our support of the Global Energy Balance Network (GEBN).

..

The story claimed Coke is funding scientific research to convince people that diets don't matter - only exercise. In fact, that is the complete opposite of our approach to business and well-being and nothing could be further from the truth."

..

Hays admitted that the Company funds scientific research through GEBN and are proud to support the work that scientists such as Dr. Jim Hill and Dr. Steve Blair do - because their type of research is critical to finding solutions to the global obesity crisis. "At Coke, we believe that a balanced diet and regular exercise are two key ingredients for a healthy lifestyle and that is reflected in both our long-term and short-term business actions," he said.

..

Hays added: "In fact, not only have we joined with America's food and beverage industry to promote moderation and healthy eating across the United States, we are doing this globally.

..

..

How Coca Cola's Obesity PR Stunt Blew Up in the Company's Face
The soft drink industry is in crisis.

By Ari LeVaux

AlterNet

August 17, 2015

http://www.alternet.org/personal-health/ how-coca-colas-obesity-pr-stunt-blew-companys-face

..

A shorter URL for the above link:

..

http://tinyurl.com/nk9jg4m

..

..

The soft drink industry is in a full-blown crisis. Soda sales are on a 10-year skid, and laws are being passed to tax and limit their sales, thanks to a growing consensus among health researchers that sugary beverages are the primary culprits behind obesity and related conditions like diabetes and heart disease. Coca Colas PR tactics have become increasingly desperate and insidious. A 2013 television commercial suggested that the 139 calories in a can of Coke could be burned by 75 seconds of laughing out loud, or a celebratory dance while bowling, claims that were roundly criticized at the time. It recently came out that Coke is using a similar tactic, but with a more serious, respectable veneer, when the New York Times reported the companys undisclosed ties to the nonprofit astroturf group Global Energy Balance Network, a relationship that included lots of money, and even secretly registering the GEBNs website on its own domain.

..

This isnt the first time makers of dangerous products have found ways to claim evidence against them is inconclusive, or have funded supposedly independent research programs that purport to search for the real roots of the problem. The tobacco industry stalled for years by using public information campaigns to create controversy over established facts about the dangers of smoking. The gun lobby borrowed these tactics to promote the idea that having lots of unregulated guns around keeps us safe, even as our rate of gun-related deaths ballooned compared to other countries.

..

Such tactics are sometimes referred to as misdirection, which in the case of the tobacco and gun lobbies has been defined as [altering] the nature of the debate until it is winnable, or at least not loseable. In some instances stalemate will do. If new information arises that shows an existing position to be wrong, move on to another.

..

The mission of the GEBN, per its website, is, To connect and engage multi-disciplinary scientists and other experts around the globe dedicated to applying and advancing the science of energy balance to achieve healthier living. The science of energy balance refers to the well-established fact that what you eat is only part of what determines your weight. The other part is how many calories you burn.

..

This message is particularly dangerous for the simple reason that its largely true, and on the surface its hard to find fault with a pro-exercise message. But the fact that gaps remain in our understanding of the relationship between diet, exercise and health does not mean we should alter the prevailing consensus about the dangers of soda. But that is what GEBN threatens to do; its message implies that if you do more exercise, you can enjoy more Coke.

..

..

"coca cola" AND ("Global Energy Balance Network" OR "GEBN" OR sugar OR diet OR exercise OR exercising OR health OR obesity)

From Google News

http://tinyurl.com/nj9asxo

..

From Google Web Search

http://tinyurl.com/qbxko4s

..

From Google Blog Search

http://tinyurl.com/pjs8g6b

..

From Google Images

http://tinyurl.com/q5hw8pw

..

From Google Videos

http://tinyurl.com/peesq6w

..

From Google Scholar

http://tinyurl.com/ox3gvpe

..

From Google Books

http://tinyurl.com/nhz8y3b

..

From Google Domain Limited Web Search (GOV)

http://tinyurl.com/ntguehg

..

From Google Domain Limited Web Search (STATISTICS)

http://tinyurl.com/qano9un

..

From Google Domain Limited Web Search (PUBMED)

http://tinyurl.com/pxpjwft

..

From Google Domain Limited Web Search (SCIENCEDIRECT)

http://tinyurl.com/q8exx8p

..

From TRIP

http://tinyurl.com/oc6fn4t

..

From PogoFrog

http://tinyurl.com/p243uf2

..

From PUBMED

http://tinyurl.com/oygttsz

..

From Temple Summon Search

http://tinyurl.com/of3vpd2

..

..

The complete articles may be read at the URLs provided for each.

..

..

WEBBIB1516

http://tinyurl.com/q8tavoy