Topics

SAME SEX MARRIAGE : UNITED STATES: STATES: KENTUCKY : CRIME AND CRIMINALS: CONTEMPT OF COURT, CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE, DISCRIMINATION : SEXISM : LAW: CASE: DECISIONS : UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT: COURTS: SUPREME COURT : SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE : HYPOCRISY : DOUBLE STANDARDS: Kentucky County Clerk Kim Davis Seems to Pick and Choose Her Articles of Faith on Gays

David P. Dillard

..

..

SAME SEX MARRIAGE :

UNITED STATES: STATES: KENTUCKY :

CRIME AND CRIMINALS: CONTEMPT OF COURT, CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE, DISCRIMINATION :

SEXISM :

LAW: CASE: DECISIONS :

UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT: COURTS: SUPREME COURT :

SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE :

HYPOCRISY :

DOUBLE STANDARDS:

Kentucky County Clerk Kim Davis Seems to
Pick and Choose Her Articles of Faith on Gays

..

..

Kentucky County Clerk Kim Davis Seems to
Pick and Choose Her Articles of Faith on Gays

Tod Robberson

Published: September 2, 2015 12:01 pm

Dallas Morning News

http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/09/
kentucky-county-clerk-seems-to-pick-and-choose-her-
articles-of-faith-on-gays.html/

..

A shorter URL for the above link:

..

http://tinyurl.com/p24kjya

..

..

We exclude religion from government and law enforcement because my religion isnt necessarily your religion. But in Rowan County, Kentucky, County Clerk Kim Davis thinks that her religion is the law, regardless of what anyone else thinks, and regardless of what our legal system mandates. Whats shocking about her refusal to issue same-sex marriage licenses is how many people, including prominent Republican politicians, think shes right for doing so.

..

Davis, a member of the Apostolic Christian Church, maintains that she is upholding the articles of her faith and placing them ahead of her duty to uphold the articles of the U.S. Constitution. Primary among her beliefs is that salvation can only come through faith in Jesus Christ, which could be dangerous if that means she also has problems issuing marriage certificates to Jews, Buddhists, Muslims or agnostics.

..

snip

..

Her church instructs the faithful quite clearly to be doers not just hearers of the Word. So Davis would be wrong, according to her faith, to merely pick and choose which aspects of the Word she will choose to enforce as county clerk. Not only must she refuse to issue marriage licenses to gays, she also must cast out adulterers. She probably should refuse marriage licenses to women with makeup or short hair.

..

Oops. Did I mention adulterers? Davis, it turns out, has been divorced three times. Since becoming an apostolic Christian, however, she has been purified of those sins. She has forgiveness.

..

I dont know. Jesus didnt mention short hair and makeup, but he did take a very dim view of divorce, declaring: I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.

..

Whose law applies? The law that allowed Davis to divorce her three previous husbands, or the law of Davis as a born-again apostolic Christian who doesnt believe in divorce? Or, perhaps, none of the above?

..

Im not making fun of Davis or her religion. She has every right to abide by these beliefs in her home and in her life outside her duties as an elected official. But in her job, she is required by the Constitution to set aside her personal beliefs and uphold the law.

..

..

..

..