Topics

RESEARCH GUIDES CHILD ABUSE CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE KIDNAPPING ABDUCTION CRIMES CRIMES AGAINST CHILDREN JAYME CLOSS

David Dillard

Edited

*

*

RESEARCH GUIDES   CHILD ABUSE    CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE    KIDNAPPING    ABDUCTION   CRIMES   CRIMES AGAINST CHILDREN   JAYME CLOSS

RESEARCH GUIDES :  CHILD ABUSE  :  CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE  :  KIDNAPPING  :  ABDUCTION  :  CRIMES AGAINST CHILDREN :  JAYME CLOSS

JAYME  CLOSS

Kidnapping of Jayme Closs - Wikipedia

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_of_Jayme_Closs

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigation

Jump to search

Kidnapping of Jayme Lynn Closs

Location

Abduction: 1268 U.S. 8,

Barron, Wisconsin, U.S

Confinement: 14166 South Eau Claire Acres Circle,

Gordon, Wisconsin, U.S.

Coordinates         45°24′06.0″N 91°53′54.3″WCoordinates: 45°24′06.0″N 91°53′54.3″W

Date  October 15, 2018 – January 10, 2019 (88 days)

Attack type

    Murder Kidnapping False Imprisonment

Victims       Jayme Lynn Closs, 13

James Closs, 56 (father)

Denise Closs, 46 (mother)

Perpetrator Jake Thomas Patterson, 21[1]

The kidnapping of Jayme Closs occurred on October 15, 2018, when Jake Thomas Patterson abducted
13-year-old Jayme Lynn Closs from her family's home in Barron, Wisconsin, around 12:53 a.m, after
forcing his way inside and fatally shooting her parents.[2] Patterson took Closs to a house 70 miles
(110 km) away in rural Gordon, Wisconsin, and held her in captivity for 88 days until she escaped on
January 10, 2019.[3][4]

Patterson was taken into custody shortly thereafter and told police he kidnapped Closs and killed her
parents.[1][5][6] He pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree intentional homicide and one count of
kidnapping.[1] On May 24, 2019, Patterson was sentenced to two consecutive life sentences in prison
without the possibility of parole plus an additional 40 years.[7]

Contents

    1 Kidnapping

    2 Search operations

    3 Escape

    4 Perpetrator

    5 See also

    6 References

    7 External links

Kidnapping

Jayme Lynn Closs was the only child of James and Denise Closs of Barron, Wisconsin.[8]
On October 5, 2018, Jake Patterson drove to the Closs home to kidnap Jayme Closs, but was deterred
by activity in the home and afraid he would leave witnesses. He made a second attempt two days later,
but was again afraid to leave witnesses. On October 15, he made a third visit, this time armed with a shotgun.
Shortly before 12:53 a.m. Central Time (05:53 UTC), Patterson parked his car at the end of the driveway.[9]
Wearing a black coat and ski mask, he approached the front door of the home carrying the shotgun.[9]
James Closs, 56, shone a light on Patterson through a glass portion of the front door and asked him to show
him his badge.[9] Patterson said, "Open the fucking door."[10] Patterson fired once, fatally shooting Closs.[9]
Forcing his way into the house, Patterson checked every room in the house because he wanted "no witnesses
left behind."[10] He found the bathroom door locked and began shooting it down.[9] Inside the bathroom were
Denise Closs, 46, and Jayme.[9] Denise was comforting Jayme, who was crying loudly.[10] At 12:53 a.m.,
Denise Closs made a 911 call.[11][12]

While Denise Closs did not speak, the operator heard a disturbance and yelling before the phone call was
disconnected. When the dispatcher called the number back, they reached the voicemail of Denise Closs.[13]
Patterson bound Jayme's wrists and ankles using duct tape, then fatally shot Denise Closs.[9] He dragged
Jayme outside, almost slipping on blood,[14] placed her in the trunk of his car and drove away.[9]
The police arrived four minutes after the 911 call.[15] Patterson later told investigators that he pulled over 20
seconds[9] down the road from the house while deputies sped by with emergency lights and sirens on.[16]
Neighbors said they heard two gunshots, but dismissed them since hunting was common around their homes.[17][18]
After arriving at his cabin, Patterson made Closs change into a different pair of pajamas, then forced her under his
mattress and sealed off all exits before going to sleep.[19]

*

Jayme Closs case:
Documents reveal startling details about kidnapping
By Rachel O'Brien
December 21, 2019 | 10:58am
New York Post
https://nypost.com/2019/12/21/jayme-closs-case-documents-reveal-startling-details-about-kidnapping/

Jayme Closs’ kidnapper spent nearly three months sleeping in the same bed as the 13-year-old —
but was too guilty to have sex with her, according to a trove of new documents released in the case.
Instead, Jake Thomas Patterson, who murdered Jayme Closs’ parents before snatching the Wisconsin
teen from her home, played board games with the girl.

The deranged man, who became obsessed with Closs after spotting her getting on a school bus, also
hit her with a window blind cleaner, yelled at and threatened her in the weeks before she managed to escape.
The Wisconsin Department of Justice, the Barron County and Douglas County Sheriff’s Offices released
a trove of thousands of pages on Friday, some heavily redacted, detailing the 88 days Patterson held Closs
captive in his Gordon, Wisconsin, home.

*

Jayme Closs investigation: Records detail close calls,
bum leads and an astrologer
Haley BeMiller
Bill Glauber
USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin  12:01 a.m. EDT
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/12/21/jayme-closs-records-detail-close-calls-bum-leads-and-astrologer/2718648001/

MILWAUKEE – The ordeal of Jayme Closs began in the middle of the night, the sounds of screams heard
on a desperate 911 call to authorities in Wisconsin.  When a Barron County sheriff's deputy arrived at the
family home on Oct. 15, 2018, on the outskirts of the small city of Barron, they saw a front door blown open
by a shotgun blast. Inside, the body of James Closs was discovered.  One officer on the scene mistakenly
thought it was suicide.  But it was far worse, with authorities finding another body in a bathroom, Denise Closs.
And when they got to the basement they found the family dog, trembling in fear behind the washer and dryer.
The details of that horrible night, and Jayme's remarkable escape from captivity 88 days later, are contained
in thousands of pages of documents and audio and video files released Friday by
Wisconsin's Department of Justice. Some of the material was heavily redacted.

The records reveal a startling tale in the search for Jayme, including close calls, missed opportunities and bum leads.
Dozens of investigators pursued things such as overheard conversations in bars, interviews with family members and
co-workers, and an exhaustive effort to find surveillance footage at gas stations from Janesville to Superior.
Three Barron County sheriff's deputies unknowingly saw Jake Patterson drive off with Jayme after he murdered her
parents.The deputies reported seeing a vehicle driving eastbound as they drove the opposite direction toward the
Closs home in response to a 911 call. The car would later be identified as belonging to Patterson, 22, who was
convicted last spring of killing James and Denise Closs and kidnapping their only child, Jayme.

*

Man who kidnapped Wisconsin teen: She was ‘terrified of me’

By AMY FORLITI  December 20, 2019  AP

https://apnews.com/fb840da8f3fc6df02975f3bf477d8ba8

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A man convicted of kidnapping a Wisconsin girl and killing her parents told police
after his arrest that he never thought Jayme Closs would escape because she was petrified, and that after
holding her captive for two weeks, he believed he’d get away with his crimes, according to a transcript
of a police interview.

“I know that she was just (expletive) terrified of me,” Jake Patterson said following his arrest in January.

The transcript of Patterson’s interview with authorities was among hundreds of pages of investigative documents
released Friday by the Wisconsin Department of Justice. The files include details about tips authorities received
as they were searching for Jayme, as well as evidence collected after her escape. Some of the files are redacted.

Patterson, 22, is serving a life sentence after pleading guilty in March to two counts of intentional homicide and
one count of kidnapping. He admitted he broke into Jayme’s home on Oct. 15, 2018, gunned down her parents,
James and Denise Closs, dragged her away and held her under a bed in his remote cabin for
88 days before she
made a daring escape. She was 13 at the time.

The transcript of Patterson’s interview paints a picture of a man who acted on impulse and controlled Jayme’s
movements around the cabin where she was held. Patterson believed he had restrained Jayme with fear, telling
police he never put extra locks on the doors or windows, because he thought she’d never leave.

“I just trusted her and that, she wouldn’t try to get out,” he said.

Patterson told police he initially threatened to kill Jayme if she made noise or moved. He said that once they
arrived at his cabin, he burned her clothes and dressed her in his clothes, then laid her on the bed. He said
she fell asleep, and he felt sick about what he had done and slept on the couch.

He said that he gave her food and water, but she wouldn’t eat at first. And, he said, she “learned quickly″ that he
would get angry over nothing, so she was nice to him so he wouldn’t hurt her. He said he initially thought he’d
get caught, but as time went by, he believed he’d get away with it and didn’t feel as bad.

*

Jayme Closs says she feels 'stronger every day' a year after kidnapping
Closs was kidnapped on Oct. 15, 2018, after her parents were shot dead in their home.
She was held for nearly three months.
Oct. 14, 2019, 12:59 PM EDT
By Elisha Fieldstadt

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jayme-closs-says-she-feels-stronger-every-day-year-after-n1065721

Jayme Closs, the Wisconsin teenager who was kidnapped and held captive for nearly three months by her
parents' murderer, said Monday that she is reclaiming what she can of her former life after the traumatic
experience.  "I really want to thank everyone for all the kindness and concern that people all over the country
have shown me," Jayme said in a statement read at a news conference Monday to mark one year since her
parents were killed and she was taken.  "I am very happy to be home and getting back to the activities that
I enjoy. I love hanging out with all of my friends, and I feel stronger every day!" the statement said.

"It's entirely accurate — everyone around her sees her getting stronger every day," Chris Gramstrup,
her attorney who read the statement, added.  "Today is a day to remember her parents."

*

'I took back my freedom': Jayme Closs' powerful statement read as her kidnapper gets life in prison without

parole Jake Patterson pleaded guilty to killing Jayme Closs’s parents and kidnapping her.

By  Emily Shapiro

May 24, 2019, 4:09 PM

ABC News
https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-abducted-13-year-jayme-closs-sentenced/story?id=63213591

Closs' statement read as her kidnapper gets lifeIn her new special, Smart brings together six women who were
held captive to discuss their experiences, how they've moved on, and they lend advice to Jayme Closs, who was
kidnapped for 88 days. Jayme Closs vowed to never let her kidnapper take her freedom or her spirit from her in
a powerful statement read at the sentencing hearing of Jake Patterson, the 21-year-old Wisconsin man who
pleaded guilty to abducting 13-year-old Closs, killing her parents and then holding her captive until she escaped.

"I was smarter," Closs said through a statement read in court on her behalf Friday. "I watched his routine and
I took back my freedom. I will always have my freedom and he will not. Jake Patterson can never take my courage.
He thought he could control me, but he couldn’t."

Patterson pleaded guilty in March to two counts of first-degree intentional homicide for shooting and killing Closs'
parents on Oct. 15, 2018, and one count of kidnapping for taking the couple's only child from her home in rural
Barron, Wisconsin.  Judge James Nadler on Friday called Patterson "the embodiment of evil" as he sentenced him
to life in prison without parole.  Patterson, appearing emotional, told the court that he wish he could "take back
what I did. ...   I don't care about me, I'm just so sorry."

(MORE: 'Bye, Jayme': Man who abducted 13-year-old Jayme Closs and killed her parents pleads guilty)

Closs, in a statement read by an attorney on her behalf Friday, said of Patterson, "I was brave and he was not."
"He can never take away my spirit," she said. "He can't ever change me or take away who I am. He can't stop me
from being happy and moving forward with my life. I will go on to do great things in my life and he will not."

*

Jayme Closs was forced to hide under her captor's bed for hours on end during her 88 days in captivity.
Here's everything we learned from the police report.

Kelly McLaughlin

January 15, 2019, 11:11 AM

The Insider

Here's everything the complaint revealed:
https://www.insider.com/jayme-closs-police-report-reveals-details-about-her-kidnapping-2019-1

    Jayme Closs was held captive for 88 days in Gordon, Wisconsin, after being kidnapped
from her Barron County home on October 15, 2018.

    The man accused of kidnapping her, 21-year-old Jake Patterson, was charged on Monday
with two counts of intentional homicide, one count of kidnapping, and one count of armed burglary.

    While captive, Jayme was forced to stay under her kidnapper's bed for hours at a time,
going without food, water, or a bathroom.

    She escaped on Thursday while her kidnapper was out of the house, and neighbors helped her call 911.

For 88 days, 13-year-old Jayme Closs was forced to hide under her kidnapper's bed,
going without food, water, or a bathroom for up to 12 hours at a time.

Her captor would put boxes filled with weights around the bed so he would know if the Wisconsin teen
tried to get out, according to a criminal complaint released on Monday by the Barron County District Attorney.

But on Thursday, when the kidnapper was out of the house for five or six hours, Jayme was able to crawl out

from under the bed, put on a pair of the kidnapper's shoes, and escape the home, the complaint said.

She found neighbors, who helped her call 911, and 21-year-old Jake Patterson was arrested minutes later.

"I did it," Patterson told police when they pulled him over in his car, according to the criminal complaint.

The complaint revealed details about the case that had mostly remained a mystery to investigators until

Jayme escaped and described her captor to police.

Patterson was charged on Monday with two counts of intentional homicide, one count of kidnapping,

and one count of armed burglary. His bail was set at $5 million cash.

There is much more to be found at the web address for this article found above.

*

The day Jayme Closs saved herself:
Year later, records tell story of Barron teen's defiant escape from Jake Patterson

Haley BeMiller, Green Bay Press-Gazette Published 6:28 a.m. CT Jan. 10, 2020

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/news/2020/01/10/jayme-closs-one-year-since-teen-saved-herself-jake-patterson/2778222001/

GORDON - Jake Patterson was certain he scared Jayme Closs.

He murdered her parents. He had a temper he thought would control her. After holding the Barron teenager
captive for 88 days, he began to think he got away with it.  He was wrong. And 13-year-old Jayme,
as she would later write, "was brave. “ Jayme fled Patterson's Douglas County home on Jan. 10, 2019,
nearly three months after he killed James and Denise Closs and abducted her.

Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald remembers that day as chaotic and emotional, and records
released last month by the Wisconsin Department of Justice show the lengths to which police and neighbors
worked to keep Jayme safe and comfortable after her escape. Those documents also revealed the first
statements Patterson, 22, made about his crimes.

*

One year later: Investigators open up about Jayme Closs case

By: Kristen Barbaresi Twitter

WDJT Milwaukee

https://www.cbs58.com/news/one-year-after-her-daring-escape-jayme-closs-continues-to-heal

*

FULL AUDIO of Jayme Closs 911 call

New York Daily News

380K views 1 year ago

SUBSCRIBE: https://nydn.us/2wfW8BW

Authorities have released the 911 call made Thursday by the woman who found Jayme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm3piT-1WUM

*

Watch Live: Jake Patterson, Jayme Closs Captor And Parents' Killer, Is Sentenced | NBC News Video
Includes Impact Statements of Jayme Closs’s Impact Statements
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDZ31vdsfbQ&t=2633s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVgvCq516AU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyWUMKRI9_I

*

Jayme Closs' unbelievable escape and homecoming

•Jan 12, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3rKU8kJptY

Hear from the Wisconsin girl's neighbors, friends and family -- and the dog walker who encountered Jayme
following her escape from her captor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyWUMKRI9_I v=U3rKU8kJptY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3rKU8kJptY

*

Investigators learn more about Jayme Closs’ alleged abductor

January 12, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP_UTlBxbPA

*

Jayme Closs' captivity, Jake Patterson's confession detailed in complaint

January 14, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALAIuRVbzs

*

KARE 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALAIuRVbzs

In a criminal complaint filed in Barron County Court Monday prosecutors share the words
of accused kidnapper and murderer Jake Patterson as he told detectives he chose
Jayme Closs as his victim

at random after watching her get on a school bus one morning in Barron. KARE 11 reporters

Lou Raguse and Kent Erdahl take us through the complaint.

*

KIDNAPPING SUSPECT: Jake Patterson First Court Appearance - Jayme Closs Update

January 14, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3WLrxHaC0U

*

Jayme Closs' family satisfied with sentence

May 24, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnv1rqW4bX4

*:03 / 7:03

Jayme Closs timeline: 88 days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mz-lMduQ2M

*

Jayme Closs' accused kidnapper charged for her abduction, parents murder

January 14, 2019

The accused kidnapper of Jayme Closs appeared in court Monday. Jake Patterson was charged for murdering

Closs' parents and for abducting the 13 year old. A criminal complaint detailed what happened the night the

teen was taken. CBS News correspondent Jamie Yuccas joins CBSN with details of the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8zbeF7pK6w

*

The man who kidnapped Jayme Closs told police he'd been thinking of kidnapping a girl for 2 years

and that 'if it wasn't Jayme, it would probably be someone else'

Michelle Mark

Dec 21, 2019, 11:09 PM
The Insider

https://www.insider.com/jayme-closs-kidnapper-jake-patterson-police-interview-2019-12

*

Day 2 of Jayme Closs being found: What we know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qhNB7ev6fw

*

Jayme Closs found alive, suspect arrested

January 10, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPbkqK3W_3Q

*

Inside the Remote Cabin Where Jayme Closs Was Allegedly Held

January 14, 2019

Inside Edition

The snowy Wisconsin cabin where Jayme Closs was believed to be held captive for 88 days has been
found in the days after her escape. Inside Edition visited the rundown remote cabin, which is set back
from the road and surrounded by trees. A sign reads "Patterson's Retreat" above the front door.
Now the yard is scattered with old cars and machinery. In the back of the home, there is a window to
the basement where it's believed Closs was held.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KGn3_OlZQ4

*

Jayme Closs honored by Wisconsin Assembly

May 15, 2019

Associated Press

A 13-year-old teenager who was held prisoner in a Wisconsin cabin for three months

before escaping her abductor is being honored by state lawmakers as a "hometown hero." (May 15)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQlDflKUd0k

*

JAYME CLOSS CASE | JAYME CLOSS FOUND

April 13, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FMHxfsXY9w

Becka’s True Crime Corner

*

WHERE IS Jayme Closs?! Abducted From Her House In The Middle Of The Night?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMKaSoiuBaA&t=85s

*

How 13-Year-Old Jayme Closs Escaped Her Alleged Captor

January 11, 2019

Inside Edition

Jayme Closs, the missing Wisconsin teen who was found Thursday, helped authorities track down her captor.
The teen was nowhere to be found when authorities discovered her parents' bodies at their home on Oct. 15.
On Thursday, Closs approached a woman who was walking her dog and told her, "I am Jayme Closs."
Police responded within minutes and soon found 21-year-old Jake Thomas Patterson in his car and arrested
him, thanks to information provided by Closs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMKaSoiuBaA&t=85s

News & Politics

*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QaMxB-IDdM
Jayme Closs, the missing Wisconsin teen who was found Thursday, helped authorities track down her captor.
The teen was nowhere to be found when authorities discovered her parents' bodies at their home on Oct. 15.
On Thursday, Closs approached a woman who was walking her dog and told her, "I am Jayme Closs."
Police responded within minutes and soon found 21-year-old Jake Thomas Patterson in his car and
arrested him,
thanks to information provided by Closs.

*

Inside the Remote Cabin Where Jayme Closs Was Allegedly Held
January 14, 2019
Inside Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KGn3_OlZQ4&t=37s

*

How Elizabeth Smart Is Helping Jayme Closs
How Elizabeth Smart Is Helping Jayme Closs

April 25, 2019

Inside Edition

It’s a sisterhood unlike any other. These brave women made headlines after they were
kidnapped and held against their will. They are now speaking out to help Jayme Closs,
the 13-year-old girl who was kept

captive in Wisconsin before escaping. The TV special, which includes interviews with
Sarah Maynard and Elizabeth Smart, airs on Lifetime and is called “Smart Justice.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMLUIvU_abU

*

Elizabeth Smart speaks to Barron County about Jayme Closs abduction

March 15, 2019

KARE 11

Smart spoke at Barron High School to help the community after the return of Jayme Closs,

who escaped the home of Jake Patterson over two months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAXF7lQbcUU

*

Elizabeth Smart: What happened to Jayme Closs doesn't have to "define her future"

January 14, 2019

CBS This Morning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoDtCV2hsI8

*

Elizabeth Smart on journey from shame to fighting for change
September 18, 2018
Kidnapper Wanda Barzee is set to be freed Wednesday after Utah officials determined they miscalculated
the 72-year-old's prison sentence. Barzee and Brian David Mitchell were convicted for their roles in
Elizabeth Smart's abduction and captivity that lasted for nine months, beginning in 2002. In an interview
you'll see only on "CBS This Morning," survivor Elizabeth Smart opens up about how her traumatic
experience changed her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAYvMAV36wA

*

CIW Instigators: Elizabeth Smart, "You Have a Choice"
December 5, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ed7AYsGCgM

*

Elizabeth Smart on helping fellow abduction survivor Jayme Closs heal
Elizabeth Smart talks to NBC’s Natalie Morales about her Lifetime doc, “Smart Justice:
The Jayme Closs Case,” in which she uses her own abduction story, as well as the stories
of other survivors, to help 13-year-old Jayme Closs move forward.April 26, 2019
https://www.today.com/video/elizabeth-smart-on-helping-fellow-abduction-survivor-jayme-closs-heal-1508218947605

*

Elizabeth Smart Rallies Other Abduction Survivors To Share
Advice For Jayme Closs In New Special
April 24, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vofEtUk7do

Elizabeth Smart is using her own harrowing experience
in the hopes of helping another kidnapping victim find peace.
The activist welcomes six fellow survivors for Lifetime's
upcoming special "Smart Justice: The Jayme Closs Case,"
premiering April 27, to discuss the investigation into
13-year-old Jayme Closs' abduction. Find out how Elizabeth
and her guests aim to give Jayme guidance going forward,
and what the teen's family thinks of the production.

*

How Elizabeth Smart Is Helping Jayme Closs
Inside Edition
It's a sisterhood unlike any other. These brave women made headlines
after they were kidnapped and held against their will.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMLUIvU_abU

*

Video: Kidnapping survivors share their advice for Jayme Closs
April 24, 2019
http://bit.ly/2Y39DAm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMLUIvU_abU

*

Elizabeth Smart on her journey from survival to inspiration (Pt 1) -
Crime Watch Daily
October 27, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRKF2l5PRBw

*

Elizabeth Smart on her journey from survival to inspiration (Pt 2) -
Crime Watch Daily
October 27, 2016
True Crime Daily
Elizabeth Smart shares how she uses her dark days being captive to help others heal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOgaA7O5yWY

*

Elizabeth Smart on Paving the Way with ‘Smart Justice’
https://tinyurl.com/y78bjj9n

*

Elizabeth Smart to Jayme Closs: "There's no going back"
January 12, 2019
Smart and Jaycee Dugard, abducted as youngsters, react to news of the Wisconsin girl's escape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFq4vsPUkc4

*

Man who kidnapped Jayme Closs never thought Wisconsin teen would escape
because she was ‘terrified of me’
Associated Press |
December 20, 2019 | 8:11 PM
https://tinyurl.com/yal56ev9

A man convicted of kidnapping a Wisconsin girl and killing her parents told police after his arrest that
he never thought Jayme Closs would escape because she was petrified, and that after holding her captive
for two weeks, he believed he'd get away with his crimes, according to a transcript of a police interview.
“I know that she was just (expletive) terrified of me," Jake Patterson said following his arrest in January.
The transcript of Patterson's interview with authorities was among hundreds of pages of investigative
documents released Friday by the Wisconsin Department of Justice. The files include details about tips
authorities received as they were searching for Jayme, as well as evidence collected after her escape.
Some of the files are redacted.

*

EXCLUSIVE: Mother of the man who abducted Jayme Closs and killed her parents
is seen back at work driving a school bus as she struggles to rebuild shattered life
a year after the teen's escape and her son's arrest

  • Jayme Closs, 14, escaped last year after Jake Patterson, 23, killed her parents and then held her captive in a remote cabin in rural Wisconsin for 88 days
  • Patterson's mother Deborah Frey, 50, is now struggling to rebuild her life that was shattered by her son's crimes
  • Friends tell DailyMailTV that she regards the moment that she learned of his guilt as 'a sort of death' and prays for his salvation every day
  • 'She just prays for her son to know Jesus too. She prays for Jayme and her family – for strength and forgiveness. She's a victim too,' friends say
  • Former teachers and classmates say 'something broke' in Patterson after his parents' divorce when he was 12

By Laura Collins, Chief Investigative Reporter In Haugen, Wisconsin For Dailymail.com
Published: 13:50 EDT, 9 January 2020 | Updated: 11:03 EDT, 10 January 2020
Daily Mail
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7870007/Mother-man-abducted-Jayme-Closs-prays-salvation-day.html

*

'What nightmares are made of': In remarkable speech,
kidnap survivor Elizabeth Smart comforts Jayme Closs' community
Jayme Closs, 13, was abducted in October and escaped three months later.
By Emily Shapiro and Anthony Rivas
March 15, 2019, 12:00 PM
https://abcnews.go.com/US/elizabeth-smart-speak-jayme-closs-neighbors-wake-kidnapping/story?id=61691722

*

EXCLUSIVE - 'This is a sisterhood like no other': Elizabeth Smart makes
TV history by bringing together six female survivors of America's most famous
abductions to offer Jayme Closs advice on how best to move forward
Smart was inspired to unite the women after Jayme escaped captivity in January
Jayme was abducted by Jake Patterson, 21, who murdered her parents and then
held her in the basement of his secluded cabin for 88 days
As a fellow survivor, Smart wanted to help Jayme heal after her horrific ordeal
Brought together survivors Gina DeJesus, Katie Beers, Alicia Kozakiewicz,
Sarah Maynard, Kara Robinson, and Denise Huskins for her historic roundtable
The women discussed if they forgave their captors, as well as their self-blame
They looked at their old missing posters and gave Jayme advice on how to heal
By Anneta Konstantinides For Dailymail.com
Published: 11:04 EDT, 24 April 2019 | Updated: 08:17 EDT, 28 April 2019
Daily Mail

https://tinyurl.com/y88vl4bd

*

Jeanne Nutter’s Roles in Jayme Closs’s Return to Gordon Wisconsin

Former social worker Jeanne Nutter was walking her dog, Henry,
when she encountered Jayme Closs, the 13-year-old victim
of a kidnapping who had escaped her captor on Thursday. She had
no idea where she was or what was waiting for her outside
the home where she was being held in Gordon, Wisconsin.
"I was at the end of my driveway; I saw a young woman who
appeared to be in distress," Nutter said. "She was probably about
ten or 12 feet from me saying, 'I need help.' All I knew is, whoever
this child is, she's in trouble."

Nutter says Gordon is a safe place where she doesn't think to take
her cellphone before leaving the house.  So when Closs appeared,
lost and needing help, they raced to a neighbor's home to call law
enforcement.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jayme-closs-former-social-worker-jeanne-nutter-tells-of-helping-rescue-kidnapping-victim/

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=jeanne+nutter

https://tinyurl.com/ybkmxy73

Woman who called 911 after Jayme Closs escaped describes suspect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HovyOJjAO48&t=9s

*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3rKU8kJptY&t=12s

*

Inside the Remote Cabin Where Jayme Closs Was Allegedly Held
Inside Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KGn3_OlZQ4

*

The Jayme Closs Story: 88 Days Missing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRngMiCPzA8

*

Watch Live: Jake Patterson, Jayme Closs Captor And Parents' Killer, Is Sentenced | NBC News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVgvCq516AU&t=226s

*

JAYME CLOSS CASE FILES REVEALED #jaymecloss #jakepatterson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bkkv_hKXSE

*

Jayme Closs found safe: Full press conference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oo_srsSYQc

*

Jayme closs one year from escape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hNIlOWsLYQ

*

Neighbors Dialed 911 After Jayme Closs Found

WCCO - CBS Minnesota

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpJ9VWRvp-4

*

Day 2 of Jayme Closs being found: What we know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qhNB7ev6fw

*

Elizabeth Smart speaks to Barron County about Jayme Closs abduction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAXF7lQbcUU

*

Elizabeth Smart: What happened to Jayme Closs doesn't have to "define her future"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoDtCV2hsI8

*

Kidnap Survivor Elizabeth Smart On Jayme Closs’ Road To Recovery | TODAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtMZ8d-2Tpo

*

Dad of Jayme Closs' alleged abductor speaks out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwAKtqwHA9Q

*

'I can’t believe I did this' | Accused Jayme Closs kidnapper writes letter from jail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VJ7XsRX6l4

*

Jayme Closs' accused kidnapper was prematurely discharged from Marine Corps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9WSaA4SnhY

*

Family describes the moment they learned Jayme Closs was free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhRkiIA5Vdw

*

Jayme Closs’ Family Speaks Out After Missing Wisconsin Girl Found Alive | TODAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs3krKgKVGU

*

Wisconsin Woman Describes Moment She Found Jayme Closs | TODAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B-eJUcCP5k

*

Missing teen Jayme Closs found alive after three months
Washington Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQMhTrscTzk

*

Jayme Closs' alleged kidnapper reveals what she did in captivity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOD1nWcth6w

*

Teen describes surviving 9 months in captivity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA0EXhKYplY

*

Jayme Closs' powerful statement read in court
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5zZSgCUg8U

*

"No doubt" Jayme Closs will recover, family friend says
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRxLayuyhQA

*

How the search for Jayme Closs united family friends, community
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5WmXxajvVw

*

Man who kidnapped Jayme Closs: She was 'terrified of me ...
https://abc3340.com/news/nation-world/man-who-kidnapped-jayme-closs-she-was-terrified-of-me

*

Monster kills parents to kidnap their daughter
https://www.thatslife.com.au/killed-parents-to-kidnap-jayme-closs

Brave survivor Jayme Closs was trapped in a nightmare - by that's life!

  • 11 Apr 2020
    Monster kills parents to kidnap their daughter
  • Brave survivor Jayme Closs was trapped in a nightmare - by that's life!
  • 11 Apr 2020
  • Nothing would stand in the way of one man's twisted fantasies
  • Compiled by Saskia Murphy TI Media Content
  • As Jayme Closs boarded the school bus, she had no idea of the evil that was watching.
  • Happily chatting to her friends, Jayme didn’t notice Jake Patterson, 21, on the way to his job at a cheese factory.
  • Patterson was a man with disturbing fantasies. He dreamed of abducting girls.
  • And spotting young Jayme, he’d chosen his victim.
  • The 13-year-old loved sports and dancing.
  • As an only child, she was everything to her parents, James and Denise.
  • But nothing would stand in Patterson’s way.
[...]

Jake Patterson’s neighbors speak about his arrest in Jayme Closs case
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNvYY6U4dYs

*

9-1-1 operator who answered the call that Jayme Closs was found relives that moment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvy52o79t-Q

*

Gathering of Hope held for Jayme Closs in Barron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdDZ6-lQd4

*

Church Services Celebrate Jayme Closs' Return Home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kcHNBvH_fA

*

Jake Patterson sentencing in Jayme Closs Case | Raw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyWUMKRI9_I&t=19s

*

Jayme Closs – Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0durcAE-0tc

*

Jayme Closs' statement to judge at Jake Patterson sentencing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JguCkK6mfE

*

Jayme Closs started therapy, spending time with friends, family friend says
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBMJClpDkj8

*

Jayme Closs' family satisfied with sentence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnv1rqW4bX4

*

Sneak peek: Jayme Closs: Hometown Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxl-cRNuFIw

*

Barron community continues to celebrate Jayme Closs' safe return
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5xeaxoRub0

NEWS REPORTS AND DOCUMENTS REGARDING JAYME CLOSSS

Jayme Closs
Associated Press (AP)
https://apnews.com/JaymeCloss

*

*

Man who kidnapped Wisconsin teen: She was ‘terrified of me’
By AMY FORLITI
December 20, 2019
https://apnews.com/fb840da8f3fc6df02975f3bf477d8ba8

*

Records show Closs kidnapper fought New Mexico inmate
October 30, 2019
https://apnews.com/ed343a195ea1431692b6fb9c15d14a11

*

Jayme Closs: 1 year after abduction, I’m feeling stronger
October 14, 2019
https://apnews.com/cbcaf4c8b5a04901a13ade2d428c9d02

*

The Latest: Jayme Closs: Feeling stronger every day
October 14, 2019
https://apnews.com/e65aa5dc10d44b75b284c53ca9a25f4a

*

House where girl was kidnapped, parents killed is torn down
August 7, 2019
https://apnews.com/0e8de8532ae843b2a6f11335ffea14e4

*

Man who abducted girl, shot her parents moved to New Mexico
July 25, 2019
https://apnews.com/36c2bd2c255a4084b1f939c6f8115489

*

Jayme Closs kidnapper erased from prison records
July 24, 2019
https://apnews.com/4ab41cff5f944e29935d751c390106b2

*

Man who kidnapped Jayme Closs moved out of Wisconsin
July 16, 2019
https://apnews.com/36f61b4ef4f047b98b067c4cde1f2b2d

*

The Latest: Jayme Closs’ family satisfied with sentence
May 25, 2019
https://apnews.com/e6f075094b1747fe88a69d7c1114e016

*

Wisconsin man who kidnapped Jayme Closs gets life in prison
By AMY FORLITI and TODD RICHMOND
May 24, 2019
https://apnews.com/c210156e2e1d43e5859138e0bb2b903c

*

Wisc. man gets life in prison in Jayme Closs case
May 24, 2019   (Image)
https://apnews.com/JaymeCloss

*

Statement of Jayme Closs at sentencing for abductor
By The Associated Press
May 24, 2019
https://apnews.com/35ea3b5b1b49488fa8ba5584c2acfebc

*

Kidnap victim Jayme Closs honored by Wisconsin Assembly
May 15, 2019
https://apnews.com/7c587b1ee6dd4c4cb0411fefb1da96ef

*

Jayme Closs honored by Wisconsin Assembly
May 15, 2019  (Image)
https://apnews.com/JaymeCloss

*

Man pleads guilty to kidnapping Jayme Closs, killing parents
By STEVE KARNOWSKI
March 27, 2019
https://apnews.com/d5dcba95a44b4c83b33e45e7ad208c90

*

The Latest: Kidnapper’s parting remark: ‘Bye, Jayme’
March 27, 2019
https://apnews.com/12cb22db7b134130af76f2552116860e

*

A timeline of events in the Jayme Closs disappearance case
March 27, 2019
https://apnews.com/0eb26a5edf9f478ebd49234d142d4e8b

*

Smart offers advice to Wisconsin town on teen’s kidnapping
March 16, 2019
https://apnews.com/a6b129d9fad94595b5851dd4abd1d1cb

*
Station: Suspect in Closs abduction says he’ll plead guilty
By The Associated Press
March 7, 2019
https://apnews.com/8c23dee39df54146a1910cc9275de680

*

Elizabeth Smart set to speak in Wisconsin on Closs rescue
March 6, 2019
https://apnews.com/2d2be018b8744d4ab27bfdf60c0e16f3

*

Wisconsin’s Jayme Closs thanks well-wishers for support
February 13, 2019
https://apnews.com/d5a47506d0544b9bba792cb5750a6de6

*

Dad of accused killer, kidnapper asks for prayers for victim
February 7, 2019
https://apnews.com/606b7230a4504b8c9c4308f63a15a721

*

A timeline of events in the Jayme Closs disappearance case
February 6, 2019
https://apnews.com/f7d2e503fb99441db9ff3524de6ffac5

*

Suspect in Wisconsin teen’s abduction ordered to stand trial
By AMY FORLITI
February 6, 2019
https://apnews.com/a3c7e0cc50054fccb51cae0303620dd4

*

The Latest: Man waives hearing in Wisconsin girl abduction
February 6, 2019
https://apnews.com/995c77b5649241c5a7bf28a69343c618

*

Authorities examine cellphone of alleged Wisconsin kidnapper
January 29, 2019
https://apnews.com/9846db626c504c659349dd414ae9a039

*

Wisconsin county: No additional charges for Closs suspect
January 25, 2019
https://apnews.com/b1820e7fd9404f029a8c05b4280ecf12

*

Jennie-O to donate $25,000 in reward money to Jayme Closs
January 23, 2019
https://apnews.com/6e6c9dc703ac4038ab967156e5ad7578

*

Church service gives thanks for missing teen’s safe return
January 21, 2019
https://apnews.com/7687f66ec0934e88916a8518e180a513

*

On day Jayme escaped, suspect sought job _ with dodgy resume
January 17, 2019
https://apnews.com/7687f66ec0934e88916a8518e180a513

*

Kidnap suspect’s lawyers: Confession problematic for defense
By TODD RICHMOND
January 16, 2019
https://apnews.com/ea4881ac12a7412da3e6bd4eae8dc81e

*

The Latest: Sheriff defends Jayme Closs 911 response
January 16, 2019
https://apnews.com/22d23b13fba242e8b0120e56e9c21ae8

*

The Latest: Grandfather: Suspect ‘backed off from crowds’
January 15, 2019
https://apnews.com/ae15a0d2ae8e46c39e51dd095a21e392

*

Complaint in Closs case could be road map for prosecution
By AMY FORLITI and TODD RICHMOND
January 15, 2019
https://apnews.com/c10757e3e2b14ca284ab7c42ac616b36

*

911 call reveals moments after Jayme was found
January 15, 2019
Linked Video

*

Kidnapping suspect targeted girl after seeing her get on bus
By AMY FORLITI and TODD RICHMOND
January 14, 2019
https://apnews.com/9f4c0c5192bc4d6e8fa9d4ad8d2b386e

*

$5M bail set for suspect in murder-abduction case
January 14, 2019
(No Link)

*

The Latest: Prosecutor lauds Jayme Closs for bravery, escape
January 14, 2019
https://apnews.com/6a23a4753b1e4b788a7383c933059b5e

*

Aunts praise Jayme Closs’ strength, power
January 14, 2019  Linked Video

https://apnews.com/1a2edc546745492badc938e6a53cabab

*

Link:  https://apnews.com/JaymeCloss

*
The Latest: Prosecutor lauds Jayme Closs for bravery, escape
January 14, 2019
https://apnews.com/6a23a4753b1e4b788a7383c933059b5e

*

Family: Wisconsin teen in ‘good spirits’ post-kidnap, escape
By JEFF BAENEN
January 13, 2019
https://apnews.com/0c437ffc95634807a83c5ba3e6ea8a8a

*

The Latest: Churchgoers: Prayers answered by teen’s return
January 13, 2019
https://apnews.com/ee8ad5d5ce414c9d8e171bc29c2f299d

*

Ex-kidnapping victims: Jayme Closs needs space, time to heal
By TAMMY WEBBER and BRADY McCOMBS
January 12, 2019
https://apnews.com/f9d9816cc63b450bae06017cb43d7267

*

Wisconsin kidnapping, killing suspect lived under the radar
By STEVE KARNOWSKI and TODD RICHMOND
January 12, 2019
https://apnews.com/454a63d56dfa427c8c011a896158f737

*

Granddad: Wisconsin girl has no link to suspected kidnapper
By TODD RICHMOND
January 12, 2019
https://apnews.com/bfb0e3efd91d45ada0d3e57bc375c45a

*

https://tinyurl.com/y9lydhmd

*

https://tinyurl.com/yaqod3mu

    Jayme Closs, 14, escaped last year after Jake Patterson, 23, killed her parents
and then held her captive in a remote cabin in rural Wisconsin for 88 days

    Patterson's mother Deborah Frey, 50, is now struggling to rebuild her life
that was shattered by her son's crimes

    Friends tell DailyMailTV that she regards the moment that she learned
of his guilt as 'a sort of death' and prays for his salvation every day

    'She just prays for her son to know Jesus too. She prays for Jayme and her
family – for strength and forgiveness. She's a victim too,' friends say

    Former teachers and classmates say 'something broke' in Patterson after
his parents' divorce when he was 12

*

Breaking: Jayme Closs, missing for 88 days after parents were killed, escapes
from captorThe Barron County Sheriff’s Department confirms Jayme Closs
has been found…

WKOW
https://wkow.com/jayme-closs/

As deputies rushed in, suspect drove past with Jayme Closs in the trunk

Jayme Closs’s aunt: “We said we’d never give up, and we didn’t. And now we got her.”

Suspect went to great lengths to kidnap Closs, sheriff says

Jayme Closs honored before state Assembly as hometown hero

SNIP

*

DOJ releases records in Jayme Closs kidnapping case

By Spectrum News Staff & Associated Press Wisconsin

PUBLISHED 6:12 PM ET Dec. 20, 2019 UPDATED 4:12 PM ET Dec. 23, 2019

https://tinyurl.com/ycgsrte2

(SPECTRUM NEWS) -- The Wisconsin Department of Justice is just now releasing the records related to Barron County kidnapping of Jayme Closs and double homicide of her parents, James and Denise Closs, in addition to the Douglas County investigation into Jake Patterson's arrest.

The documents include hours of dashcam footage, hours of body camera audio and hundreds of pages of documents. Those documents can be viewed below.

(SPECTRUM NEWS) -- The Wisconsin Department of Justice is just now releasing the records related to Barron County kidnapping of Jayme Closs and double homicide of her parents, James and Denise Closs, in addition to the Douglas County investigation into Jake Patterson's arrest.

The documents include hours of dashcam footage, hours of body camera audio and hundreds of pages of documents. Those documents can be viewed below.

DCI’s investigative files can be viewed here.

https://widoj.sharefile.com/d-s9a1c3567213429da

Barron County’s files can be viewed here.

https://widoj.sharefile.com/d-sb05f5a96d8342998

Douglas County’s files can be viewed here

https://widoj.sharefile.com/d-s87583ed5ff043609

*

Category: Jayme Closs

WAOW.COM

Jayme Closs Archives

https://waow.com/category/jayme-closs/

*

Woman who led Jayme Closs to safety honored in Madison

March 21, 2019 5:05 pm Courtney Terlecki

Jeanne Nutter, the woman who came upon Jayme Closs after the Barron County teen escaped her abductor,
was honored today by the state Department of…

https://tinyurl.com/y9lrxzj2

*

"JAYME CLOSS" Search Results from Google

https://tinyurl.com/yan4t36l

*

[...]

CBS 58
https://www.cbs58.com/news/one-year-after-her-daring-escape-jayme-closs-continues-to-heal

BARRON COUNTY, Wis. (CBS 58) -- Exactly one year ago, in the remote town
of Gordon, Wisconsin, 13-year-old Jayme Closs made a daring escape from
her kidnapper, Jake Patterson.  Patterson held Jayme captive for 88 days,
after he killed her parents inside their Barron County home on Oct. 15, 2018.

Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald hopes the one-year anniversary is like
any other day for Jayme, as she continues to heal and go on with her life.
But he says he will smile a little bigger, as he remembers the phone call he got
one year ago telling him Jayme was alive and safe.  “What it did teach us
is there’s a lot of hope out there,” Sheriff Fitzgerald said. “And you know,
we can do anything as a community.”  Sheriff Fitzgerald says it’s difficult
to wrap his head around all that’s happened in the year since Jayme’s
courageous escape.  Just months after his arrest, Patterson pleaded guilty
and was sentenced to life in prison.  “Six months later we’re sentencing,
you know, and we have the case wrapped up and all the records are released
within a year, is unheard of across the nation,” Sheriff Fitzgerald said.

The Sheriff and other investigators are now traveling the country, teaching
other law enforcement agencies about the case.

*

https://tinyurl.com/y7rtdtl2

*

GORDON - Jake Patterson was certain he scared Jayme Closs.
He murdered her parents. He had a temper he thought would control her.
After holding the Barron teenager captive for 88 days, he began to think
he got away with it.  He was wrong. And 13-year-old Jayme, as she would
later write, "was brave."  Jayme fled Patterson's Douglas County home
on Jan. 10, 2019, nearly three months after he killed James and Denise
Closs and abducted her.

Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald remembers that day as chaotic and
emotional, and records released last month by the Wisconsin Department of
Justice show the lengths to which police and neighbors worked to keep Jayme
safe and comfortable after her escape.  Those documents also revealed the first
statements Patterson, 22, made about his crimes.

Patterson decided to act on his fantasy of kidnapping a young girl two weeks
after watching Jayme board a school bus near her home outside Barron.
He drove to the Closs home in the early hours of Oct. 15, 2018, murdered James
and Denise with his father's shotgun, and took a girl he had never met to the
small town of Gordon.  It was in Gordon where Jayme saved herself.

RELATED: The Jayme Closs investigation: Trove of records details close calls,
bum leads and an astrologer
https://tinyurl.com/ybofs828

RELATED: Jake Patterson fought a New Mexico inmate after moving from Wisconsin
prison for safety
https://tinyurl.com/y86wog64

COMPLETE COVERAGE: Jayme Closs timeline of news coverage
https://tinyurl.com/y94wolx6

*

One year later, Jayme Closs feels 'stronger every day' as community reaches 'new normal'

Haley BeMiller

USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin
https://tinyurl.com/yasjjb9x

GREEN BAY, Wis. – Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald still remembers
what it felt like to see 2,000 people searching fields for any sign of missing teenager Jayme Closs.
One year has passed since Jake Patterson gunned down Wisconsin couple James and Denise Closs
and kidnapped their only child. Some of the memories hurt.  But others, like that day in the field,
remind Fitzgerald of how people came together to support one another, convinced every day Jayme
would eventually come home.  And she did.   "There’s no reason to give up hope, and we proved
that to the world," Fitzgerald said in a recent interview with USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin.

After abducting Jayme on Oct. 15, 2018, Patterson held her captive for 88 days in his rural Wisconsin
home before she broke free. The 22-year-old Patterson was sentenced to life in prison in May.
Patterson didn't know the Closs family prior to the day he decided to kidnap Jayme after watching her
board a school bus, fulfilling a fantasy of holding a young girl prisoner, prosecutors said. He is now
imprisoned in New Mexico, although Wisconsin corrections officials will not identify the institution.
Fitzgerald said the community is moving forward and learning to live with a "new normal."

*

A year after her kidnapping, Jayme Closs tells ABC she feels 'stronger every day'

By Christina Maxouris, CNN

Updated 9:52 PM ET, Mon October 14, 2019

https://tinyurl.com/ydbhvh43

Jayme Closs' powerful statement read in court 03:00

(CNN)Almost exactly a year since Jayme Closs was kidnapped and her parents killed,
the 13-year-old says she's happy to be back home and doing what she enjoys. "I really
want to thank everyone for all of the kindness and concern that people all over the country
have shown me," she said in a statement to ABC News.   The teenager said she was
"very happy to be home and getting back to the activities that I enjoy."
"I love hanging out with all of my friends and I feel stronger every day," Jayme said
in her statement.   On October 15 last year, a 21-year-old man barged into the young girl's
Barron, Wisconsin, home, shot both of her parents and then held Jayme captive for 88 days.

<snip>

Her escape

Patterson drove the teenager to his cabin in a remote and heavily forested town.  For months,
Jayme spent a long time under his bed, sometimes staying under there for as long as 12 hours
with no food, water or access to the bathroom, authorities said.  Jayme told detectives Patterson
once struck her hard on her back. He said he kept her in line by yelling and hitting the walls,
especially the two times he noticed she had tried to get out from under the bed, investigators said.
On January 10, Patterson told Jayme he was leaving for a few hours and the girl crawled out from
under the bed, unlocked the front door and left the cabin, quickly flagging down a woman for help.
The woman, recognizing Jayme from news accounts of her disappearance, hustled her to the
nearest home, where they called 911.

*

Jayme Closs

Associated Press

https://tinyurl.com/yx7nhc4m

Jayme Closs’ kidnapper spent nearly three months sleeping in the same bed as the
13-year-old — but was too guilty to have sex with her, according to a trove of new
documents released in the case.

Instead, Jake Thomas Patterson, who murdered Jayme Closs’ parents before snatching
the Wisconsin teen from her home, played board games with the girl.

<snip>

The Wisconsin Department of Justice, the Barron County and Douglas County Sheriff’s
Offices released a trove of thousands of pages on Friday, some heavily redacted, detailing
the 88 days Patterson held Closs captive in his Gordon, Wisconsin, home.

Patterson admitting having sexual thoughts about Closs but didn’t act on them because his
guilt from killing her parents stopped him, according to the documents.

*

jayme closs documentary

Google Search Results

https://tinyurl.com/ybtvdbxy

*

Search Results

Videos

42:52

Jayme Closs
Comes Home

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/jayme-closs-comes-home/

CBS News - Jan 12, 2019

Preview

3:01

Jayme Closs'
alleged kidnapper
reveals what she
did in captivity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOD1nWcth6w

CBS This Morning

YouTube - Mar 18, 2019

42:52

Jayme Closs:
Hometown Hero

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/jayme-closs-hometown-hero/

CBS News - Jun 8, 2019

Jayme Closs
Comes Home - A
"48 Hours" special

CBS News - Jan 12, 2019

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/playlist/jayme-closs-comes-home-48-hours-special/

Preview

7:51

Barron County one
year after the
deaths of Denise
and James ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGkj2mGCscg

WFRV Local 5

YouTube - Oct 14, 2019

Preview

3:16

Jayme Closs' family
will be in courtroom
during her ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itPPdAS24qg

CBS This Morning

YouTube - May 24, 2019

Preview

1:32

Jayme Closs shares
a message a year
after abduction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itPPdAS24qg

KARE 11

YouTube - Oct 14, 2019

Preview

1:43

How Elizabeth
Smart Is Helping
Jayme Closs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMLUIvU_abU

Inside Edition

YouTube - Apr 25, 2019

Preview

11:52

Watch Live: Jake
Patterson, Jayme
Closs kidnapping
suspect ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILf2pEQ29YA

CBS News

YouTube - Jan 14, 2019

38:31

Jayme Closs found
safe: Full press
conference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oo_srsSYQc

CBS News

YouTube - Jan 11, 2019

Lifetime to air Jayme Closs documentary on April 27. It promises

Apr 4, 2019 - A new television documentary about Jayme Closs' abduction
and escape promises to reveal “new details” and include “exclusive interviews” ...

National TV documentary on Jayme Closs promises 'exclusive ...

www.startribune.com › national-tv-documentary-on-jay...

Apr 2, 2019 - Lifetime plans to telecast a 90-minute documentary about Jayme Closs,
with fellow abduction survivor Elizabeth Smart conducting “exclusive ...

Lifetime promises 'new details' in documentary on Jayme ...

Apr 8, 2019 - A new television documentary about Jayme Closs' abduction
and escape promises to reveal “new details” and include “exclusive interviews” ...

Watch Lifetime's New Jayme Closs Documentary For Free

b105country.com › watch-lifetimes-new-jayme-closs-d...

May 2, 2019 - The documentary is called 'Smart Justice: The Jayme Closs Case'
and is now available to watch online. All you have to do is sign in with your ...

Watch Smart Justice: The Jayme Closs Case ... - Amazon.com

www.amazon.com › Smart-Justice-Jayme-Closs-Season

The incredible survival story that riveted the nation: Jayme Closs (13)
was kidnapped from her home after seeing her parents murdered. She escaped after 88 ...

Rating: 4.3 - ‎7 reviews

Smart Justice: The Jayme Closs Case (TV Movie 2019) - IMDb

www.imdb.com › title

With Elizabeth Smart. It tells the incredible survival story of 13-year-old Jayme Closs,
who was kidnapped from her home in Wisconsin, after watching her mother ...

Rating: 7.7/10 - ‎12 votes

Smart Justice: The Jayme Closs Case - Lifetime

Don't Miss the Latest Lifetime Premieres! Sign up now to get email updates on new
episodes, sweeps alerts, and more from your favorite Lifetime shows.

Barron Co. sheriff: A year out, Jayme Closs is 'just being a kid'

"There’s a new feeling in law enforcement, not just in Barron County,
but all over, that you never give up. Because that case is one tip away."

KARE

https://tinyurl.com/y8cvhoy3

Jayme Closs was kidnapped and her parents, James and Denise, were killed on Oct. 15, 2018.
That was the beginning of an 88-day ordeal that for Jayme, meant captivity at the hands of Jake Patterson,
who is now serving life in prison for his crimes. For Fitzgerald, it meant long days and nights working
to solve the case.

He remembers vividly the moment he found out that Jayme had escaped on her own. He was on the phone
with the Walworth County sheriff, ironically, trying to get to the bottom of a false tip that Jayme
had been found there.

"At the same time I’m talking to the Walworth County sheriff, my detective runs back in and says,
'Hang up the phone right now,'" Fitzgerald said. "He said, 'We have Jayme Closs.'"

RELATED: Jayme Closs case file released

https://tinyurl.com/y6v3uomc

RELATED: Jayme Closs shares a message on the anniversary of her kidnapping

https://tinyurl.com/y972emll

Fitzgerald thought both tips were pranks. But the detective informed him that the patrol officers
in Douglas County said they had located Jayme.

*

Wisconsin Dept. Of Justice Releases Jayme Closs Case File

December 20, 2019 at 10:11 pm

Filed Under:Jayme Closs, Wisconsin Department of Justice
https://tinyurl.com/ycfez35t

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The Wisconsin Department of Justice released the case file
involving the kidnapping of Jayme Closs and murder of her parents Friday afternoon.

As Barron County deputies drove towards the Closs family home in the early morning
hours of Oct. 15, 2018, Jake Patterson passed three of them, even pulling over to the
side of the highway to let them pass.

They were unaware 13-year-old Jayme Closs was bound and being held in the trunk
of that car, arriving soon after to a shot-up door and a gruesome scene.

That dash camera video is just one portion of thousands of documents, video clips,
and photos released by the Wisconsin Department of Justice connected to the
investigation that began when James and Denise Closs were found murdered and
their daughter missing in Barron County, Wisconsin.

Barron County released the first 911 call made by Jayme’s mom. Much of that call
is inaudible.

The video files include police dash camera footage from responding officers and
audio recordings from officers at the scene.

In one of the recordings you can hear an officer who first arrived at the Closs home
thinking there may have been a suicide before realizing there was a larger crime scene.

The file also includes the 911 call made in Douglas County when Closs escaped
a remote cabin and ran for help after being held captive for 88 days.

In the call you can hear the family comforting Jayme in the background as they ask
a dispatcher to hurry for help as they are in fear Closs’ kidnapper was on the way home.

*

Jayme Closs, Kidnapped by a Stranger, Endured Horror, Police Say

New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/14/us/jayme-closs-updates-jake-patterson.html

[Free account with the New York Times required to read this article]

*

How Jayme Closs Is Doing 1 Year After Her Incredible Escape
From the Kidnapper Who Killed Her Parents
by Natalie Finn | Fri., Jan. 10, 2020 3:00 AM
E-News
https://tinyurl.com/y9s8w5vf

*

Photos: Kidnapping Survivors

https://www.eonline.com/photos/19455/true-crime-kidnapping-survivors

*

Elizabeth Smart "Thrilled" Missing Teen Jayme Closs Was Found Alive:
"What a Miracle"
https://tinyurl.com/y9sssmol
E-News

Shortly after news broke that missing teen Jayme Closs had been found alive,
Elizabeth Smart took to social media to reflect on the "miracle."

"What a miracle!!! Jayme Closs has been found!!!!" she wrote on Instagram.
"I'm so thrilled to hear the news. What has been such a heart wrenching
tragedy finally has some happiness in the story. I'm praying for Jayme and
all her family that they can have a joyous reunion."

*

Jayme Closs 'reclaiming her life' as she marks first anniversary of abduction
Guardian
Wisconsin girl whose parents were fatally shot before she was held captive
for 88 days is ‘moving forward courageously’, attorney said
https://tinyurl.com/y7mjczvj

Jayme Closs, the Wisconsin girl whose parents were fatally shot before she was kidnapped and held captive for 88 days by an abductor from whom she escaped, marked the first anniversary of her abduction on Monday.  The 14-year-old
said she was feeling stronger every day and was thankful for the kindness and concern expressed by people all over the US.  Jayme issued a statement a day
before the first anniversary of the shootings and abduction at her home near
Barron in north-west Wisconsin. She is getting back to the activities she enjoys,
she said, and loves hanging out with her friends.  The statement was read by
family attorney Chris Gramstrup at a news conference at the Barron county
sheriff’s department.  “She continues to work very, very hard on her
emotional well-being,” Gramstrup said. “She’s moving forward courageously
and reclaiming her life. Her incredible spirit and strength continues to inspire everyone around her.”  Grampstrup said Jayme inherited her strength and
soft heart from her father and mother, James and Denise Closs, who were
killed at their home on 15 October 2018 by Jake Patterson.

*

Jayme Closs: Hometown Hero
CBS News
Forty – Eight Hours
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/jayme-closs-hometown-hero/#x

CBS News journalists explore the courage of Wisconsin teenager Jayme Closs, held captive for 88 days before escaping, and how she and her community have bonded to help her heal.Jun 8, 2019

*

Jayme Closs Archives
https://waow.com/category/jayme-closs/

(Video Reports)

*

1 Year After Jayme Closs' Escape: A New Normal For Barron County

Residents Cite Increased Vigilance and Tighter Community
in Wake Of Double Murder, Kidnapping
By Rich Kremer
Friday, January 10, 2020, 6:00am
https://tinyurl.com/ybm7sthe

On Jan. 10, 2019, residents of Barron County were told of an unlikely outcome in the wake of a grizzly double murder and kidnapping three months before just outside the city of Barron. In a faceook post, Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald announced that missing teen Jayme Closs had been found alive 70 miles north of where she was taken 88 days before.

"Jayme Closs has been located," wrote Fitzgerald. "On Thursday evening the Barron County Sheriff’s Department was notified by the Douglas CO WI Sheriff’s Department that they had located Jayme Closs alive."

The post and following press conferences drew throngs of reporters from around the nation and the story of her escape from the man who killed her parents made international news.

In the year that followed, Jake Patterson of the Village of Gordon, was convicted on two counts of first-degree intentional homicide along with one count of kidnapping and sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison.

The Closs family home where the crimes took place was razed by the bank holding the mortgage according to Fitzgerald

*

POLICE FOOTAGE:
Interview of Kyle Jaenke-Annis Regarding Disappearance of Jayme Closs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X31Vdq7epA

*

Campos-Castillo, Celeste. "Emotional Lives: Dramas of Identity in an Age of Mass Media." (2019): 555-556.

[PDF] THE SWORD

V TURCIOS, E MOHAMUD, B STEIGAUF, BEN DIERS… - digitalcommons.csp.edu

… Jayme Closs, a 13-year-old girl from Barron, Wisconsin … The breach happened during the summer at the end of June and beginning of July when two employees of the dhs clicked on a link in a phony email that gave hackers access to patient Jayme Closs Abducted and Found …

Rinka, Madelyn, and Christina McLaughlin. "NSU presents first screening of Rubber Jellyfish."

Kenny, James F. "“Getting to Know You”: Confirming Target Suitability." In Hiding in Plain Sight, pp. 59-69. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham, 2020.

*

James, Denise and Jayme Closs :: Life Changed in Four Minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76iefFkEyqE

*

JAYME CLOSS 911 CALL AUDIO | JAYME IS FOUND ALIVE #jaymecloss
Added Content to Content of Generally Available Content
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nOk-gzkYbs

Jayme Closs 911 Audio has been released. #jaymecloss On the night of September 15th, Jake Patteson, a stranger to the Closs family entered the family home. He fatally shot James Closs and Denise Closs before abducting Jayme Closs. She was held captive for 88 days before escaping and getting help.

*

Jayme Closs from Excite Search Engine

https://results.excite.com/serp?q=%22jayme%20closs%22

Content Sample

Web Results

Jayme Closs case: Documents reveal startling details
Jayme Closs’ kidnapper spent nearly three months sleeping in the same bed as the 13-year-old — but was too guilty to have sex with her, according to a trove of new documents released in the case.
https://nypost.com/2019/12/21/jayme-closs-case-documents-reveal-startling-details...

Kidnapping of Jayme Closs - Wikipedia
The kidnapping of Jayme Closs occurred on October 15, 2018, when Jake Thomas Patterson abducted 13-year-old Jayme Lynn Closs from her family's home in Barron, Wisconsin around 12:53 a.m, after forcing his way inside and fatally shooting her parents. Patterson took Closs to a house 70 miles (110 km) away in rural Gordon, Wisconsin and held her in captivity for 88 days until she escaped on ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_of_Jayme_Closs

Jayme Closs' captor manipulated her, admitted to having ...
The kidnapping of 14-year-old Jayme Closs from her parent's Wisconsin home more than a year ago captured the nation's attention for weeks but left more questions than answers.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/jayme-closs-jake-patterson-new-documents

Jayme Closs' accused kidnapper: 'The reason I did this is ...
Jayme Closs was found alive on Jan. 10, 2019 near Gordon, Wisconsin. FBI via EPA Patterson wrote that he provided police with as much detail as he did "so they didn’t have to interview Jayme.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jayme-closs-accused-kidnapper-reason-i-did...

Jayme Closs kidnapper involved in jailhouse brawl caught ...
The man who kidnapped Wisconsin teenager Jayme Closs after killing her parents is having trouble making friends behind bars. Jake Patterson, 22, was caught on jailhouse surveillance video getting ...
https://nypost.com/2019/11/17/jayme-closs-kidnapper-involved-in-jailhouse-brawl-caught...

Jayme Closs: One year after her abduction, she's 'stronger ...
Jayme has started school and lives with her aunt and uncle. At a news conference Monday, Closs family attorney Chris Gramstrup said the teenager spent her summer hiking through state parks ...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/10/14/jayme-closs-one-year-after-her...

How Jayme Closs Is Doing 1 Year After Her Incredible Escape From the Kidnapper Who Killed Her Parents. Now living with her aunt and uncle, the 14-year-old is keeping busy and slowly but surely ...
https://www.eonline.com/news/1110242/how-jayme-closs-is-doing-1-year-after-her...

Jayme Closs vowed to never let her kidnapper take her freedom or her spirit from her in a powerful statement read at the sentencing hearing of Jake Patterson, the 21-year-old Wisconsin man who ...
https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-abducted-13-year-jayme-closs-sentenced/story?id=63213591

Jayme Closs update: Jake Thomas Patterson identified as ...
Jake Thomas Patterson, 21, was charged with the killings and kidnapping of Jayme Closs. Jayme managed to escape Patterson's home and come across a woman who was outside walking her dog, police said.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jayme-closs-update-police-wisconsin-missing-girl-found
..
Jayme Closs suspect wasn’t home when she escaped ...
The man accused of kidnapping Jayme Closs and killing her parents in October wasn’t home when the teenager made her escape and he “appeared to be out looking for her” when authorities ...
https://www.foxnews.com/us/jayme-closs-suspect-wasnt-home-when-she-escaped-appeared-to...

Jayme Closs, Kidnapped by a Stranger, Endured Horror ...
Law enforcement vehicles surrounded the cabin in Gordon, Wis., on Saturday where 13-year-old Jayme Closs had been held captive, according to court documents.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/14/us/jayme-closs-updates-jake-patterson.html

 *

 JAYME CLOSS ONE YEAR LATER (PRESS CONFERENCE)
https://tinyurl.com/y3hcms9l

*

88 Days: The Jayme Closs Story

https://eightyeightdays.podbean.com/

*

WHERE IS Jayme Closs?! Abducted From Her House In The Middle Of The Night?!

•Jan 8, 2019

Kendall Rae

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMKaSoiuBaA

*

JAYME CLOSS - EVERYTHING WE KNOW SO FAR

•Jan 15, 2019

Eleanor Neale

Today's true crime video is on Jayme Closs, James Closs, Denise Closs
and Jake Thomas Patterson ... all Jayme Closs news and updates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC-IYaJ04Qo

*

VOICE OF THE VICTIM PODCAST
43 :: James, Denise and Jayme Closs :: Life Changed in Four Minutes
•Jan 23, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76iefFkEyqE

*

astrojwne @ astrojwne