Topics

'Refer to me as sir': Miami cop handcuffs Black doctor who tests homeless for COVID-19

David Dillard

'Refer to me as sir': Miami cop handcuffs Black doctor who tests homeless for COVID-19

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/4/14/1937116/--Refer-to-me-as-sir-Miami-cop-handcuffs-Black-doctor-who-tests-homeless-for-COVID-19

OR

https://tinyurl.com/ydz5xquy

Excerpt

A Black Florida doctor who has been testing homeless people for COVID-19 was stopped outside his home
and handcuffed Friday for—get this—unloading old boxes from his van for curbside pickup, he told the Miami Herald.
Dr. Armen Henderson, who was earlier featured in the Herald for his heroic work to fight the spread of the novel coronavirus,
told the newspaper that by the cop’s account, police had been getting complaints of people illegally dumping garbage
in a Miami neighborhood. So a sergeant patrolling the area stopped Henderson and asked him for his identification,
and when he didn’t provide it and turned to his van, the cop handcuffed him, Henderson told the Herald

“He said ‘you should refer to me as sir, or sergeant when talking to me,’” Henderson told the Herald. “I never said I was a doctor.
But I didn’t cuss. He just grabbed my arms and cuffed me.”

Home surveillance video Henderson provided media outlets shows the doctor, a University of Miami Health System employee,
wearing a mask and the sergeant without one. Henderson told ABC News that was his main concern because the sergeant
got "all up in my face." Three days before the encounter with the sergeant, Miami-Dade Police Chief Jorge Colina said at least
six officers had tested positive for COVID-19 and 125 had been quarantined awaiting test results. “Wearing cloth face coverings
in public settings are mandatory in Miami-Dade County to help slow the spread of #COVID19,” the Miami police department
retweeted Friday.

NET-GOLD

https://groups.io/org/groupsio/net-gold/archives

Sport-Med