Topics

[RailTransportation] TERRORISM : COUNTRIES: FRANCE : TRANSPORTATION: RAILROAD: PASSENGER: France Train Attack: Gunman's Father Says He Has No Idea What His Son is Thinking - Live

David P. Dillard

..

..

[RailTransportation]

TERRORISM :

COUNTRIES: FRANCE :

TRANSPORTATION: RAILROAD: PASSENGER:

France Train Attack: Gunman's Father Says
He Has No Idea What His Son is Thinking - Live

..

..

France Train Attack: Gunman's Father Says
He Has No Idea What His Son is Thinking - Live

Ayoub El-Khazzani's father Mohamed weeps as he exclusively tells the Telegraph of his shock and how his son was a "good boy and very hardworking". Follow latest developments

By Isabelle Fraser, and Raziye Akkoc

5:56PM BST 23 Aug 2015

The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11818934/
France-train-attack-Moroccan-terrorist-Ayoub-El-Khazzani-linked- to-Isis-live.html

..

A shorter URL for the above link:

..

http://tinyurl.com/nvsbyb8

..

..

People must act or die, say US heroes

'The gunman had no training, would have used 8 magazines'

26-year-old Moroccan believed to have links to Isil

Belgian station is close to notorious weapons supply line

France train attack: As it happened Saturday August 22

France train attack: Yesterday's events as they happened

..

..

Latest

17.56

The father of the gunman who attempted to commit a massacre aboard a high-speed international train service has spoken for the first time of his shock, writes James Badcock in Algeciras and David Barrett.

..

Mohamed El-Khazzani, speaking exclusively to The Telegraph, said his son was a "good boy" and expressed incredulity at his actions.

..

"I have no idea what he was thinking and I have not spoken to him for over a year, said Mr El-Khazzani.

..

"He was a good boy, very hardworking."

..

Between sobs, the gunmans father said his son never talked politics; just football and fishing.

..

Since returning to be with his parents in 2012 after a troubled spell in Madrid, his son had given up smoking hashish and seemed very calm, said the father of four, who recycles materials for a living in one of Algecirass poorest areas, El Saladillo.

..

snip

..

17.20

In case you missed earlier, The Telegraph's Colin Freeman has more from earlier during the press conference.

..

Speaking about the attack at the conference, Mr Stone said: "It seemed he [gunman] was pulling weapons from left and right."

..

Mr Skarlatos was hitting him with the pistol and rifle, he said, adding that his reaction "was about survival".

..

Mr Skarlatos: "The guy had a lot of ammo - his intentions seemed pretty clear. It still does not seem real."

..

Mr Stone: "Other than my finger I didn't really feel any of my injuries.

..

Talking about neck-injured Frenchman: "I stuck two of my fingers in the whole and found what I thought to be the artery and pressed it until the bleeding stopped, and until the paramilitaries arrived."

..

snip

..

15.45

Khazzani first settled in Spain in 2007, where he was employed as a housepainter. However, he was arrested in 2009 and 2010 over drugs offences, writes David Chazan and James Badcock.

..

Sophie David, a lawyer who assisted him after his arrest in the northern French city of Arras on Friday following the attempted attack, told local newspapers that he had twice been convicted for drug dealing in 2013.

..

By the time he moved in 2013 to the southern city of Algeciras, where he frequented a radical mosque and associated with people known to have links with extremist groups, Spanish intelligence had identified him as a security threat.

..

The Spanish flagged him up to French intelligence in February 2014 and warned that they believed he was planning to move to the Paris area to join a friend.

..

It was then he was listed as a security threat in France, which meant that if police checked his identity or he produced his passport to enter or leave the Schengen area, it would automatically be flagged up to other European countries.

..

The alarm was sounded when he went through passport control in Berlin on May 10 this year to board a Germanwings flight to Istanbul. He is then believed to have crossed from Turkey into Syria, where he could have been trained by Isil or other terrorist groups.

..

..

..

..