Topics

[Net-Gold] UNITED STATES: POLITICS: POLITICAL PARTIES: REPUBLICAN PARTY, TEA PARTY : INDUSTRIES: PETROLEUM : LIBERTARIANISM : MEDICAL: INSURANCE: MEDICARE : WAR ON THE POOR : WAR ON THE ELDERLY : WAR ON MINORITIES : ORGANIZATIONS: AMERICAN LEGISLATIVE EXCHANGE COUNCIL (ALEC): Why Scott Walker is so Dangerous

David P. Dillard

..

..

UNITED STATES: POLITICS: POLITICAL PARTIES: REPUBLICAN PARTY, TEA PARTY :

INDUSTRIES: PETROLEUM :

LIBERTARIANISM :

MEDICAL: INSURANCE: MEDICARE :

WAR ON THE POOR :

WAR ON THE ELDERLY :

WAR ON MINORITIES :

WAR ON LABOR :

ORGANIZATIONS: AMERICAN LEGISLATIVE EXCHANGE COUNCIL (ALEC):

Why Scott Walker is so Dangerous

..

..

Why Scott Walker is so Dangerous

By Dana Milbank

Scott Walker enlists working people to help the rich.

July 27, 2015

Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ ct-scott-walker-unions-perspec-0727-20150724-story.html

..

A shorter URL for the above link:

..

http://tinyurl.com/q3ptwux

..

..

First off," Scott Walker proclaimed, "we took on the unions, and we won. We won!"

..

Taking on the unions is usually first off for Walker, the Wisconsin governor and Republican presidential candidate. It is the very rationale for his candidacy. And on Thursday, he took a detour from the campaign trail to appear here before the annual meeting of the conservative American Legislative Exchange Council, a group of state legislators dedicated in large part to defeating unions.

..

ALEC, which inspired many of Walker's anti-labor efforts in Wisconsin, drew several hundred union protesters as legislators arrived here this week for its annual conference and this delighted Walker. "I understand you had a few protesters yesterday," he told the conservative legislators. "For us, that's just getting warmed up. That's nothing. We got 100,000 protesters."

..

snip

..

This is the essence of Walker's appeal and why he is so dangerous. He is not as outrageous as Donald Trump and Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, but his technique of scapegoating unions for the nation's ills is no less demagogic. Sixty-five years ago, another man from Wisconsin made himself a national reputation by frightening the country about the menace of communists, though the actual danger they represented was negligible. Scott Walker is not Joe McCarthy, but his technique is similar: He suggests that the nation's ills can be cured by fighting labor unions (foremost among the "big government special interests" hurting America), even though unions represent just 11 percent of the American workforce and have been at a low ebb.

..

Earlier this year, Walker likened the union protesters in Madison, Wis., to the murderous ISIS: "If I can take on 100,000 protesters, I can do the same across the world." Before that, he described public sector union members as the "haves" taking advantage of the "have-nots" the taxpayers.

..

He denounced the protests against his efforts to undo the unions as "thuggery." He described collective bargaining as a "corrupt system" and diagnosed union leaders as having a "sense of entitlement." After beating public sector unions and surviving recall, Walker this year signed anti-union right-to-work legislation. He has said he doesn't think the minimum wage serves a purpose, and he has opposed prevailing-wage and living-wage requirements.

..

snip

..

Such deception, however, is only in the service of the larger deceit at the core of his candidacy: By scapegoating toothless trade unions as powerful and malign interests, he enlists working people in his cause of aiding the rich and the strong.

..

..

..

..

Research Guides
http://tinyurl.com/qy3gq6g
AND

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IndoorGardeningUrban/info

Information Literacy (Russell Conwell Center Guide)

http://tinyurl.com/o4pn4o9

..

..

..