Topics

INDOOR GARDENING : GARDENING : URBAN AGRICULTURE : UNITED STATES: CITIES: INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA: Urban Agriculture Takes Root in Indy

David P. Dillard

..

..

INDOOR GARDENING :

GARDENING :

URBAN AGRICULTURE :

UNITED STATES: CITIES: INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA:

Urban Agriculture Takes Root in Indy

..

..

Urban Agriculture Takes Root in Indy

Amie Sites

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 10:00 AM

AgriNews Indiana

http://agrinews-pubs.com/Content/News/Markets/Article/ Urban-agriculture-takes-root-in-Indy-/8/26/13145

..

A shorter URL for the above link:

..

http://tinyurl.com/qdgxl7u

..

..

INDIANAPOLIS Growing Places Indy is spreading urban agriculture in Indianapolis by providing access to locally grown food and teaching the skills needed to operate a farm.

..

The non-profit organization started five years ago and provides a model for urban agriculture that empowers others to grow well, eat well, live well and be well.

..

When we have access to food that is grown well; when we embrace a culture of eating well; when we are empowered within our community to live well; then we greatly enhance our capacity to be well, the mission statement reads.

..

A team of people, including a farming staff, apprentices and volunteers, grow 60 varieties of vegetables, fruits and herbs on nearly two acres in Indianapolis. The produce includes asparagus, basil, carrots, cilantro, lettuce, sunflower shoots, blueberries, onions, turnips, zucchini and more.

..

snip

..

Tyler Henderson, farm manager for the organization, says that there are financial, social, environmental and economic benefits to the farms.

..

They are designed to get consumers closer to their food, Henderson said.

..

People can come have interactions around food, which you just dont have at a supermarket, he said.

..

The food that is grown is available at a weekly you-pick garden and farm stand at the Chase Near Eastside Legacy Center. People can pick their own produce or shop the farm stand from 4 to 7 p.m. Thursdays until mid-September.

..

The food is also available through a community-supported agriculture program. The 10-week program includes anywhere from eight to 12 different items each week.

..

..

..

..