Topics

CRIME AND CRIMINALS: ATTEMPTED MURDER HOMICIDE : POLICE BRUTALITY : UNITED STATES: STATES: GEORGIA: Georgia Police Shoot Man and Kill His Dog after Responding to Wrong House

David P. Dillard

..

..

CRIME AND CRIMINALS: ATTEMPTED MURDER HOMICIDE :

POLICE BRUTALITY :

UNITED STATES: STATES: GEORGIA:

Georgia Police Shoot Man and Kill His Dog after Responding to Wrong House

..

..

Georgia Police Shoot Man and Kill His Dog after Responding to Wrong House

Associated Press in Atlanta

Tuesday 1 September 2015 17.59 EDT

The Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/01/ georgia-police-shoot-man-kill-dog-wrong-house

..

A shorter URL for the above link:

..

http://tinyurl.com/o3z22ze

..

..

Police officers who arrived at the wrong metro Atlanta home after a report of suspicious activity shot the man who lives there, killed his dog and likely shot a fellow officer, leaving him seriously wounded, authorities said Tuesday.

..

Christopher McKinley ran bleeding outside where a neighbor heard him asking, Why did they come in my house? Why did they shoot me? Why did they shoot my dog?

..

The incident began when DeKalb County police received a report of a possible burglary at a one-story residence near an intersection in southeast Atlanta. Lacking an exact address, the officers were sent in the dark to a neighborhood where many of the single-story homes look similar.

..

Three officers found a home they thought matched a description provided by a 911 caller, but were unable to make contact with anyone inside, according to a statement from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. They entered the home through an unlocked rear door and two officers fired their guns at a dog, killing it.

..

McKinley, 36, was also shot in the leg by police, GBI officials said. Officer Travis Jones was shot in the hip and listed in serious condition at Grady Memorial Hospital. The GBI released the names of the two wounded men Tuesday evening.

..

snip

..

Colson told The Associated Press that as she rounded the corner, she saw her wounded neighbor and his wife fleeing their home. McKinleys wife was screaming, Colson said, and he was yelling: They shot me and they shot my dog!

..

Colson said her neighbor had a bullet wound a couple of inches above his right knee.

..

She said she knelt beside him in the yard and used a shirt to staunch the bleeding as he told her what happened.

..

He told me they were in the house watching television when they heard something in the backyard, Colson said. The husband gets up to check, opens the door and he just sees shooting. He gets hit and his dog is dead.

..
She said police never questioned McKinley while she was there helping him.

..

snip

..

In 2006, Atlanta police officers killed a 92-year-old woman during a botched drug raid at her house.

..

..

..

..