CORRECTIONS: [social-work] CRIME AND CRIMINALS: MURDER HOMICIDE : GUNS AND GUN CONTROL : ORGANIZATIONS: NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION, AMERICAN LEGISLATIVE EXCHANGE COUNCIL (ALEC) : UNITED STATES: POLITICS: POLITICAL PARTIES: REPUBLICAN PARTY, TEA PARTY : DOMESTIC TERRORISM : VIDEOS : POLICE VICTIMS OF NRA FACILITATED GUN VIOLENCE: Dallas Suspect Was Upset About Recent Police Shootings, 'Wanted to Kill White People'

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 12:38:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: David P. Dillard <jwne@...>
To: Net-Gold Groups.IO -- Educator-Gold <Educator-Gold@groups.io>,
HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@...,
K12ADMIN@...,
Nabble Groups Net-Gold <ml-node+s3172864n3172864h56@...>,
"Sean Grigsby OR Keith @ Groups.IO" <Myarchives@groups.io>,
net-gold@..., Net-Gold on IO Groups list <Net-Gold@groups.io>,
net-gold@...,
Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@...>,
SocialWorkDiscussionGroups <ml-node+s2351479n1h15@...>,
social-work-and-social-issues@...,
SocialWork <social-work@groups.io>, social-work@...
Subject: [social-work] GUNS AND GUN CONTROL : ORGANIZATIONS: NATIONAL RIFLE
[...]

by TOM WINTER, JIM MIKLASZEWSKI, ANDREW BLANKSTEIN and ELIZABETH CHUCK

Latest developments:

Police have identified the suspect as Micah Johnson, 25

Johnson was an Army reservist who deployed to Afghanistan, the Army said

Johnson is now believed to be the lone gunman, mayor says

DALLAS POLICE AMBUSH

July 8 2016, 8:40 PM ET

NBC News

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/dallas-police-ambush/dallas-suspect- was-upset-about-recent-police-shootings-wanted-kill-n605916

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/zqas3n7

.

.

The gunman in the ambush of 12 Dallas police officers "wanted to kill white people, especially white officers," and was upset about recent police shootings, the city police chief said Friday.

.

Dallas police on Friday identified the suspect, who they killed in the early hours of Friday morning, as Micah Johnson, 25.

.

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings said Friday evening that based on what investigators know, Johnson was the lone gunman in the ambush. In the immediate aftermath of the shooting, officials said they believed there were two snipers.

.

"We believe now that the city is safe, and the suspect is dead, and we can move on to healing," Rawlings said Friday.

.

Rawlings said the gunman was "mobile" and was moving around multiple levels of a building and shooting from there. He said Johnson had written "manifestos on how to shoot and move, and he did that."

.

"He did his damage, but we did damage to him as well," Rawlings said.

.

Police searched Johnson's home and found bomb making materials, ballistic vests, rifles and ammunition and "a personal journal of combat tactics," police said in a statement Friday. Detectives are going through the journal, police said. He has no criminal history, police said.

.

Investigators have found no formal ties between Johnson and any kind of violent black power, black separatist or other domestic terror or militant group, a law enforcement source familiar with the investigation told NBC News.

.

Johnson used a SKS rifle as well as a handgun during his attack on police, multiple law enforcement sources said.

.

The officials stressed that the investigation remains fluid and said while Johnson may have been the lone gunman, the investigation into other possible suspects who may have assisted him continues.

.

"What we don't know is who if anybody may have known what the gunman was going to do or may have assisted him in any of his efforts," said Gov. Greg Abbott Friday.

.

Authorities killed the suspect after a standoff in a garage at El Centro Community College after several hours of negotiations. After exchanging gunfire with him, they "saw no other option" but to kill him by detonating a bomb, Dallas Police Chief David Brown said.

.

"Other options would have exposed our officers to grave danger," he said.

.

"This was a man that we gave plenty of options to give himself up peacefully," Rawlings said. "We spent a lot of time talking. He had a choice to come out and we would not harm or stay in and we would. And he picked the latter."

.

Officials told NBC News that Johnson was wearing body armor during the shooting.

.

.

.

.

https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold

AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

https://groups.io/g/indoor-gardening

STATISTICS SOURCES RESEARCH GUIDE
http://guides.temple.edu/statistics-sources

Social Work and Social Issues Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/social-work

Tourism Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/Tourism

Digital Scholarship Discussion Group