[webdev] Web Design Update: August 27, 2015

David P. Dillard

..

Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 06:21:06 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>
To: webdev <webdev@d.umn.edu>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: August 27, 2015

12: USABILITY.

16: XML.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

RAT
By Jonathan Neal.

"RAT (Results from Assistive Technology) is a collection of markup
patterns and how they are handled by different assistive technology."

http://jonathantneal.github.io/rat/

Where to Put Your Search Role

By Adrian Roselli.

"Clearly you can use other elements instead of a div, and you can nest
them in different ways, but what is important is that you do not put
the role="search" on the form element..."

http://adrianroselli.com/2015/08/where-to-put-your-search-role.html

Outsourcing Video Accessibility - The 5 Key Questions

By Alex Varley.

"Video content is more prevalent and the digital marketing gurus will
tell you that good video equates to good search engine optimisation
(SEO) rankings and more audience attention than just static content.
Even better rankings can be attained through making the video
accessible with captioning and audio description. In many cases it can
also be a legal/policy requirement."

http://www.accessiq.org/news/features/2015/08/ outsourcing-video-accessibility-the-5-key-questions

Vestibular Disorders and Accessible Animation (Video)

By Rachel Nabors.

"Many thanks to Greg Tarnoff for coming onto the show to talk about
how the current proliferation of animation in web design can have some
rather sever negative side effects for users like him with vestibular
disorders. In this episode, Greg explains what vestibular disorders
are and walks us through sites that do and don't work for him. A must
watch for accessibility advocates, web and app designers, and UX
professionals. (Video 1 hour 3 minutes minutes)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhnIZh0xwk0

Designing Technology with Accessibility in Mind (Video)

By Haben Girma.

"Harvard Law's first deafblind graduate, Haben Girma, excelled in
large part because people created accessible technology. Haben, who
works at Disability Rights Advocates, encourages the development of
accessible services and products. Recognized as a Champion of Change
by the White House, Haben moves us towards a world where people with
disabilities access the same services, on the same devices, and at the
same time as non-disabled consumers. Technology designed with
accessibility in mind truly transforms the lives of people with
disabilities. Through this thoughtful discussion, Haben invites
everyone to design products from the ground up with universal access
in mind. To learn more about Haben, visit habengirma.com. To learn
more about DRA, visit dralegal.org." (Video 41 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44VEwsBfux0

Advocates Want Websites Accessible to Those with Impaired, No Eyesight

By Brian Bowling.

"...The Justice Department has taken the position that all commercial
websites are covered by the law, but it has confused the issue by
delaying the release of regulations, originally promised in 2010, that
would spell out the accessibility standards for commercial sites. The
lack of regulations hasn't kept the agency from intervening in several
of the website accessibility lawsuits..."

http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/ 8912515-74/websites-website-lawsuits#axzz3jPd9DF1k

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

3.2.1 On Focus

By Rakesh Paladugula.

"When any component receives focus, it does not initiate a change of
context. (Level A) Description The intention of this checkpoint is to
allow the users predict the behavior of user interface components..."

http://www.maxability.co.in/2015/08/3-2-1-on-focus/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

What's Holding You Back from Doing UX Design Remotely?

By Marg Laing.

"In this article, I will explore whether there really is something
about UX design that might prevent our doing it well on a distributed
team. Then, I'll walk you through some practical steps for getting
going with remote work. Finally, I'll explore what UX-specific
challenges exist with remote work..."

http://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2015/08/ whats-holding-you-back-from-doing-ux-design-remotely.php

7 Steps for More Effective A/B Testing

By Spencer Lanoue.

"...Here's the framework we use at UserTesting. You can take it, use
it, and tweak it to your needs. You don't have to use it word for
work, do whatever is best for your team..."

https://www.usertesting.com/blog/ 2015/08/20/7-steps-for-more-effective-ab-testing/

Comparing Between and Within Subjects Studies

By Jeff Sauro.

"When you're planning a study to compare multiple interfaces, one of
the first choices to consider is whether to use a within-subjects or
between-subjects approach..."

http://www.measuringu.com/blog/between-within.php

+04: EVENTS.

MAX 2015
October 3-7, 2015.
Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
http://max.adobe.com/

An Event Apart San Francisco
November 2-4, 2015.
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
http://aneventapart.com/event/san-francisco-2015

Confab Higher Ed
November 4-6, 2015.
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
http://confabevents.com/events/higher-ed

+05: HTML5.

Accessible Names - Label All the Things! (Part 1)

By Michelle Williamson.

"...Being vigilant about naming things on your site will help make the
site tremendously more accessible to screen reader users and there's a
good chance it will also help search engines. Use these native HTML5
accessible name properties when available and possible. And when not
available or possible, see our blog post on a few WAI-ARIA attributes
that fill in the gaps in part 2."

http://www.mediacurrent.com/blog/accessible-names-label-all-things-part-1

+06: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Card Sorting - Defining Related Content Categories

By Linnea Ann Williams.

"Card sorting is a powerful, hands-on tool that we at Stanford Web
Services use for helping content creators iron out either the
information architecture of their site (meaning the big buckets of
their navigation) or to develop categories for their content..."

https://swsblog.stanford.edu/blog/ card-sorting-defining-related-content-categories

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

Five Little-Known Facts about ES5 Object Literals

By Axel Rauschmayer.

"This blog post describes five little known facts about ECMAScript 5
(ES5) object literals..."

http://www.2ality.com/2015/08/object-literals-es5.html

Progressive Enhancement is Essential

By Dennis Lembree.

Thankfully, it seems the importance of Progressive Enhancement is
resurfacing due to the 'Internet of Things' and the importance of
supporting older and lower-end devices (especially for developing
countries where it may be the only option for many users)..."

https://medium.com/@dennisl/ progressive-enhancement-is-essential-9e258cef87ba

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

Interview with Leonie Watson - How Accessibility Influences the Work
of Developers and Designers

By Von Nicole Buri.

"As a diamond sponsor of the Frontend Conference Zurich on 27 and 28
August, we had the exclusive opportunity to conduct interviews with
selected speakers..."

http://magazin.unic.com/en/2015/08/21/interview-with-leonie-watson- how-accessibility-influences-the-work-of-developers-and-designer/

More Agile, More Problems

By Steven Hoober.

"...Agile is not a process. It is a software development methodology.
How to integrate UX into Agile? As soon as you tell me how to
integrate finance or marketing or legal into Agile I'll talk to you
about how to do Agile UX, mkay?...I do love the principles of Agile,
but principles are not processes..."
https://medium.com/@shoobe01/more-agile-more-problems-a5169c0a8b28

Thinking Responsively - A Framework for Future Learning
By Paul Robert Lloyd.
"Responsive web design changed everything about how we think and work
on the web-and five years on, we're still exploring the best ways to
approach our practice. If we want a web that is truly universal, we
must consider our users, our medium, and our teams in new, adaptable
ways. Looking at where we've come from and where we're going, Paul
Robert Lloyd proposes a philosophical framework for our work on the
responsive web."

http://alistapart.com/article/ thinking-responsively-a-framework-for-future-learning

+09: NAVIGATION.

The Hamburger Menu Doesn't Work

By James Archer.

"It's a beautiful, elegant solution that gets it all wrong, and it's
time to move on..."

http://deep.design/the-hamburger-menu/

+10: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

US-EU Standards Must be Harmonized to Advance Accessibility

By Julie Anderson.

"...Enacting a global accessibility standard will free up financial
resources, pave the way for innovation and, overall, create a clearer
path to accessibility in the U.S. and abroad..."

http://www.fiercegovernmentit.com/story/ us-eu-standards-must-be-harmonized-advance-accessibility/2015-08-20

+11: TOOLS.

YouTube Caption Auditor (YTCA)

By Terrill Thompson.

"YTCA is a utility to collect stats from one or more YouTube channels.
It was designed to collect data related to captioning, but could be
extended to support other data collection needs..."

https://github.com/terrill/YTCA

Quickly Check for Accessibility Errors

By Prem Nawaz Khan.

"Run your code through Chrome Developer Tool, Axe Engine and HTML Code Sniffer..."

http://mpnkhan.github.io/quickcheck/index.html

aXe Developer Tools for Firefox

By David Sturley.

"Add accessibility auditing to the Firefox Developer Tools."

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/axe-devtools/

HTML_CodeSniffer

By squizlabs.

"HTML_CodeSniffer is a client-side script that checks HTML source code
and detects violations of a defined coding standard. HTML_CodeSniffer
is written entirely in JavaScript, does not require any server-side
processing and can be extended by developers to enforce custom coding
standards by creating your own "sniffs"..." In addition a bookmarklet
is provided."

http://squizlabs.github.io/HTML_CodeSniffer/

+12: USABILITY.

Infinite Scrolling and Accessibility (It's Usually Bad)

By Dennis Lembree.

"Experts say don't do infinite scrolling, or be extremely careful in
doing so. I completely agree. Infinite scrolling creates accessibility
and usability problems. Below are checkpoints, issues and suggestions
from a few resources..."

http://www.webaxe.org/infinite-scrolling-and-accessibility/

The User is Always Right? Wrong!

By Stefan Rossler.

"...We want to watch people using our designs. We don't need their
opinions, they're biased anyway. We want to see what they do and we
want to understand, what they are thinking while their doing it.
That's the information that's always right. Not the users themselves."

https://userbrain.net/blog/the-user-is-always-right-wrong

Design Minimally Viable Interactions

By Gerry McGovern.

"The most elegant interaction is so minimal it is almost invisible."

http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/new-thinking/ design-minimally-viable-interactions

Preventing User Errors - Avoiding Unconscious Slips

by Page Laubheimer.

"Users are often distracted from the task at hand, so prevent
unconscious errors by offering suggestions, utilizing constraints, and
being flexible..."

http://www.nngroup.com/articles/slips

Very Large Touchscreens - UX Design Differs From Mobile Screens

By Kara Pernice.

"Only a few mobile-design skills and design recommendations translate
well to designing for very large touchscreens, as found in kiosks and
other nonmobile use cases. Users' field of vision, arm motion,
affordance, and privacy are a few of the different considerations for
such screens with up to 380 times the area of a smartphone."

http://www.nngroup.com/articles/very-large-touchscreen-ux-design/

Designing UX for Natural User Interfaces

By Jennifer Winter.

"...In this article I'll cover a few basic principles of NUI, and how
you can use them to design great UX..."

https://www.usertesting.com/blog/2015/08/24/ designing-ux-for-natural-user-interfaces/

The Data-Informed Customer Journey

By Pamela Pavliscak.

"...The experiences people have with other sites and apps can drive
them to your site or app, frame the questions they have, shape their
expectations for category names or navigation items, and more..."

http://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2015/08/ the-data-informed-customer-journey.php

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines. Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson