[webdev] Web Design Update: May 12, 2016

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 06:05:56 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>
To: webdev <webdev@d.umn.edu>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: May 12, 2016

09: NAVIGATION.

10: TYPOGRAPHY.

11: USABILITY.

12: XML.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability; Accessibility of Web
Information and Services of State and Local Government Entities

By Federal Register.

"A Proposed Rule by the Justice Department on 05/09/2016..."

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/ 2016/05/09/2016-10464/nondiscrimination- on-the-basis-of-disability-accessibility- of-web-information-and-services-of-state

5 Things UX and Visual Designers Can Do to Get Started with Accessibility

By Caitlin Geier.

"In this post, I've outlined 5 simple design considerations to keep in
mind that you can incorporate into your designs to help you to make
your website more usable and more accessible..."

http://www.deque.com/blog/5-ux-visual-designers-started-accessibility/

Accessible Performance - Q&A (Video)

By Fronteers.

"Fronteers Spring Conference 2016 panel discussion about Accessible
Performance - Hawksworth, Weyl, Sutton, Groves."

https://vimeo.com/163232532

To Hell with Performance (Video)

By Karl Groves.

"...we'll talk about the intersections of UX, performance, and
accessibility and how each contribute to an accessible user
experience."

https://vimeo.com/163074780

AccessLearn Group Update, May 2016

By David Sloan.

"...after a year of existence, it seemed like a good time for a short
update here..."

https://www.w3.org/community/accesslearn/ 2016/05/05/accesslearn-group-update-may-2016/

Real Users on Adobe PDFs

By Joanna Briggs.

"...This week, Joanna mines one of our most valuable resources-Simply
Accessible's usability panel-real users who test what we make to
ensure our sites and apps are truly accessible. We asked them what
barriers they face when accessing PDF documents on the web. Here's
what they had to say..."

http://simplyaccessible.com/article/real-users-pdfs/

Bank of America Announces New Initiative for Accessible Mortgage Documents

By Law Office of Lainey Feingold.

"...Bank of America announced today that it has begun an initiative to
enhance the accessibility of its online mortgage documents for
visually impaired customers..."

http://www.lflegal.com/2016/05/bankofamerica-mortgage-press/

Accessible Internet, Communication, and Technology (ICT) -
Bottom-line, Accessibility Benefits Everyone

By Debra Ruh.

"Universal accessibility in the Information, Communication and
Technology (ICT) sector holds unparalleled promise and opportunity for
people with disabilities never before seen in our history. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/debra-ruh/accessible-internet-commu_b_9818454.html

Why Accessibility is so Important in Digital Marketing

By Rebecca Sentance.

"If you work in digital marketing or have any kind of business that
markets itself online, you've probably thought about all sorts of ways
to increase your business's reach and broaden its appeal. But are you
considering web accessibility?..."

https://www.clickz.com/2016/02/29/ why-accessibility-is-so-important-in-digital-marketing

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Video of the Week: Ryan Seddon-Houdini

By John Allsopp.

"Don't you sometimes wish you could create your own CSS properties?
Not just some syntactic sugar to make life easier like Sass and other
pre-processors, but honest-to-goodness properties, like new display
options, painting your own images from JavaScript as backgrounds,
borders and elsewhere images can be used, and so on..."

https://www.webdirections.org/blog/video-week-ryan-seddon-houdini/

Introducing the CSS Grid Layout

By Nitish Kumar.

"...With the introduction of the CSS Grid Layout spec, you will not
need to include a separate stylesheet just to use the grid system..."

http://www.sitepoint.com/introducing-the-css-grid-layout/

RWD is Not a Panacea (Video)

By Estelle Weyl.

"Responsive Web Design (RWD) is the solution for putting our apps on
mobile devices. Or is it?..."

https://vimeo.com/163073950

+03: DRUPAL.

Drupal Developer on How to Make your Website More Accessible

By John P. Weiksnar.

"For open source developer Mike Gifford, founder and president of
OpenConcept Consulting Inc., any mention of Drupal accessibility after
his name is redundant..."

https://opensource.com/life/16/5/drupalcon-interview-mike-gifford

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Danger! Testing Accessibility with Real People

By Léonie Watson.

"As four people who are blind and care deeply about making the web
more accessible, we strongly believe user testing should include
people with disabilities..."

https://medium.com/@LeonieWatson/danger- testing-accessibility-with-real-people-4515f72db648#.q25em4o4f

Never Show A Design You Haven't Tested On Users

By Ida Aalen.

"User testing doesn't have to be expensive or time-consuming-and it
should never be skipped entirely if you don't have 'permission' to do
it. Injecting real feedback early and often affects how we design our
work, communicate, and even present concepts to the client. Testing
should be a habit, even when it doesn't seem possible. It just
requires a little ingenuity..."

http://alistapart.com/article/never-show-a-design-you-havent-tested-on-users

Complete Beginner's Guide to UX Research

By UX Booth.

"...In this Complete Beginner's Guide, we'll look at the many elements
of design research, from interviews and observations, to usability
testing and A/B testing. Readers will get a head start on how to use
these design research techniques in their work, and improve
experiences for all users..."

http://www.uxbooth.com/articles/ complete-beginners-guide-to-design-research/

How to Run an Heuristic Evaluation

By Luke Chambers.

"Being a user experience designer often requires juggling tensions,
whether they be juggling creative tension, managing stakeholder
tension, or constantly living in the tension between design expertise
and user-centred design methods..."

http://uxmastery.com/how-to-run-an-heuristic-evaluation/

+05: EVENTS.

ICT Accessibility Testing Symposium
November 2-3, 2016.
Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.
http://ictaccessibilitytesting.org/

+06: HTML5.

Target="_blank" - The Most Underestimated Vulnerability Ever

By Alex Yumas.

"People using target="_blank" links usually have no idea about this
curious fact: The page we're linking to gains partial access to the
source page via the window.opener object..."

https://medium.com/@jitbit/target-blank-the-most- underestimated-vulnerability-ever-96e328301f4c#.bgsm06rtv

How-to: Use Title Attributes

By The A11Y Project.

"Short answer: Don't use them, except in special circumstances..."

http://a11yproject.com/posts/title-attributes

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

Proposed ARIA Password Role

By Léonie Watson.

"Let me ask you a question: Would you enter your password into a
password field, if you couldn't be confident it was protected from
being viewed by other people?..."

http://tink.uk/proposed-aria-password-role/

Accessibility and Performance (Video)

By Marcy Sutton.

"How do slow performing JavaScript applications impact user experience
for people with disabilities-are there certain aspects of the web
rendering process that create barriers when you're relying on a screen
reader?..."

https://vimeo.com/163096111

Let's Learn JavaScript Closures

By Preethi Kasireddy.

"Closures are a fundamental concept. This is an extensive tutorial
complete with code and diagrams to teach what's involved."

https://medium.freecodecamp.com/ lets-learn-javascript-closures-66feb44f6a44#.psmuvp1co

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

Does Digital Make Us More Conservative?

By Gerry McGovern.

"...The establishment, the brands, the traditional organizations and
power brokers are currently in a state of denial and delusion. They
still think they can win the war of attention with bigger banners and
smarter catchphrases and even more emotional messages. There will be
events that might look like victories but they are PR mirages. The
experts and the thought leaders are leading, directing and influencing
less and less every year. We are entering an age where the very
concepts of authority will be challenged and reinvented."

http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/new-thinking/ does-digital-make-us-more-conservative

Resilience (Video)

By Jeremy Keith.

"Here's the video of the talk I just gave at the Beyond Tellerrand
conference in Düsseldorf: Resilience."

https://vimeo.com/166140718

+09: NAVIGATION.

Pagination Best Practices

By Nick Babich.

"One of the most commonly overlooked elements of a site or app is
their pagination controls..."

https://uxplanet.org/pagination-best-practices-76fbd3f5a78d#.vemr4uvy6

Spotify Ditches the Controversial Hamburger Menu in iOS App Redesign

By Sarah Perez.

"...Farewell, hamburger menu. You won't be missed..."

http://techcrunch.com/2016/05/03/ spotify-ditches-the-controversial-hamburger-menu-in-ios-app-redesign/

Expandable Menus: Pull-Down, Square, or Pie?

By Raluca Budiu.

Selecting an option inside a menu depends on how far away that option
is from the menu icon. Drop-down menus, megamenus, pie or radial
menus, and marking menus arrange items in different patterns to
optimize the reach time.

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/expandable-menus/

+10: TYPOGRAPHY.

Truly Fluid Typography With vh And vw Units

By Michael Riethmuller.

"Embracing fluid typography might be easier than you think. It has
wide browser support, is simple to implement and can be achieved
without losing control over many important aspects of design..."

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/05/fluid-typography/

+11: USABILITY.

Trustworthiness in Web Design: 4 Credibility Factors

By Aurora Bedford.

Websites must establish trust and present themselves as credible to
turn visitors into customers. The methods that people use to determine
trustworthiness on the web have remained stable throughout the years,
even with changing design trends.

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/trustworthy-design/

+12: XML.

More About SVG Clipping Paths

By Steven Bradley.

"...I want to talk about the initial clipping path..."

http://vanseodesign.com/web-design/more-about-svg-clipping-paths/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines. Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson