RESCUES : COUNTRIES: NEW ZEALAND: 'Help': Sign Leads Crew to Missing Pair

David P. Dillard

.

.

RESCUES :

COUNTRIES: NEW ZEALAND:

'Help': Sign Leads Crew to Missing Pair

.

.

'Help': Sign Leads Crew to Missing Pair

8:27 pm on 1 May 2016

Max Towle

Radio New Zealand (RNZ)

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/regional/302763/ %27help%27-sign-leads-crew-to-missing-pair

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/zx4hjkf

.

.

A woman who was lost with her mother in Tararua Forest Park for four days says she was hours away from dying and passed on her dying wishes moments before they were rescued.

.

Americans Carolyn Lloyd, 45, and her daughter Rachel, 22, were found at midday yesterday after entering the Kapakapanui track east of Waikanae on Tuesday.

.

After getting lost, Rachel Lloyd, a Massey University student, said they had to ration a few peanuts and crackers and huddle together at night for body heat.

.

At one point she fell in a stream and was completely submerged.

.

After that, she said she "lost all my senses" and began developing hypothermia, temporary blindness and hearing loss. She lost all feeling in her legs.

.

"We knew I was going to go first. I was telling her certain things to tell people - my dying wishes pretty much - my mum was basically watching me die which was really, really hard," she said.

.

Carolyn Lloyd carried her daughter for a distance before being physically unable to continue. They made final camp by a stream.

.

Mrs Lloyd crafted the word "help" with rocks and sticks in a clearing - which led the helicopter searching for the two women to locate them.

.

"My mum is such an incredible woman, the strongest woman I've ever met," said Rachel.

.

"If I could be a 10th of the woman she is today I would be incredibly lucky."

.

Police said the pair had done all the right things when they realised they were lost.

.

.

.

Police Applaud Pair's 'Calm Thinking'

5:53 pm on 30 April 2016, 2016

Radio New Zealand (RNZ)

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/regional/ 302680/police-applaud-pair's-'calm-thinking'

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/ja3wmcr

.

.

Two US women found after being lost in Tararua Forest Park for four nights did everything they should have to survive.

.

Carolyn Lloyd, and her daughter Rachel, 22, were found at midday today, exhausted and hungry but otherwise unharmed. The pair had headed out for a day walk on the Kapakapanui track on Tuesday.

.

Sergeant Anthony Harmer said the women were experienced day walkers but they ended up in steep terrain and could not get back on the track.

.

"It is not clear exactly what has happened to them, but it appears that they have become disorientated and unable to find their way out."

.

A search was launched after the pair's rental car, which was supposed to have been returned yesterday morning, was found at the entrance to the Kapakapanui track near Waikanae.

.

The police said they were also alerted that the women were missing by student services at Massey University where Rachel is a student, and by the motel the pair were supposed to have checked out of three days ago.

.

A search began and a helicopter spotted them near a stream off the main track about midday today.

.

Mr Harmer said they had done all the right things when they realised they were lost.

.

.

The complete articles may be read at the URLs provided for each.

.

.

https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold

AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

https://groups.io/g/indoor-gardening

STATISTICS SOURCES RESEARCH GUIDE
http://guides.temple.edu/statistics-sources

Social Work and Social Issues Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/social-work

Tourism Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/Tourism

Digital Scholarship Discussion Group