INDOOR GARDENING : GARDENING : ENVIRONMENT: GLOBAL WARMING AND CLIMATE CHANGE: Blundering Gardener: Gardening Convinced Me of Climate Change

David P. Dillard

.

.

INDOOR GARDENING :

GARDENING :

ENVIRONMENT: GLOBAL WARMING AND CLIMATE CHANGE:

Blundering Gardener:

Gardening Convinced Me of Climate Change

.

.

Blundering Gardener:

Gardening Convinced Me of Climate Change

BONNIE BLODGETT

THE PIONEER PRESS

April 30, 2016

Twin Cities Pioneer Press

http://www.twincities.com/2016/04/30/ blundering-gardener-gardening-convinced-me-of-climate-change/

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/jyqarll

.

.

Rain, rain go away

.

Wait, what am I saying? Plants need sun, sure, but at this time of year they need water more. So do our farms and forests.

.

Having said that, dang, Im excited to get going on all those chores that really ought to be done now, before the trees fully leaf out. My houseplants are craning the necks toward the window. They want out as much as I do. Probably more.

.

I open windows on warm-enough days to get them used to the breezes theyll have to deal with in the real world. Then we wait.

.

Speaking of leaf-out, Ive become fascinated with phenology. Thats the study of how trees and shrubs respond to signs that spring is here.

.

Day length plays a big role, but an even more important signal to plants is temperature. Thats why a warm winter can really mess things up weve all lost leaves or flowers or even whole plants to a late freeze that kills tender new growth.

.

Scientists are looking to leaf-out timing for additional proof that global warming is real and changing ecosystems. Plants that used to be perfectly comfortable here in Zone 4 are starting to move north.

.

Obviously they cant do that as fast as a wild animal can. But when they move, the animals either have to follow them or change their appetites. More and more animals are moving to cities, just like humans are.

.

I wish wed stop acting like thats inevitable. I wish wed incentivize people to go the opposite direction. Our heartland desperately needs more small-scale organic farmers. Im hoping that soon everyone will be saying about farming: thats where the good-paying jobs are!

.

.

.

.

https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold

AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

https://groups.io/g/indoor-gardening

STATISTICS SOURCES RESEARCH GUIDE
http://guides.temple.edu/statistics-sources

Social Work and Social Issues Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/social-work

Tourism Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/Tourism

Digital Scholarship Discussion Group