[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 15, No. 8

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 12:09:44 -0500
From: Jon Mueller <jfmueller@...>
To: socialpsy-teach@...
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 15, No. 8

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 15, No. 8

April 30, 2016

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the
Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website

at

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

Examples!  Social Psychology is everywhere, so so are examples of it.  But I can't get enough of them, and I'm always looking for newer ones.  What are two or three of your favorites examples of social psych concepts or ideas?  Send them to me and I will share them with the group.  They can be personal observations, anecdotes, videos, articles, etc.   I know it is the end of the semester for some of you, so whenever you can ... send me a couple examples.  They will be much appreciated.

Activities and Exercises

Conformity:  Social rituals

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/
2016/may-june-16/teaching-current-directions-
in-psychological-science-30.html#ritual

Examples

         Conformity:  Authority

         http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/prank-burger-king-windows_us_5709a80fe4b0836057a1746a

         http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=1297922&page=1

         Prank caller convinces employees at a fast-food restaurant that he is a fire official, and he convinces them to
smash out the windows of the restaurant.  It happened at more than one restaurant.  The second link is to a string of
similar

         prank calls from someone pretending to be a police officer.

        Gender & Culture: Stereotyping

        http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/south-africa-ceo-women-bitch-switch_us_57218b15e4b0b49df6aa3452

        Women have a "bitch-switch" according to CEO Jose dos Santos.

        Gender & Culture: Institutional discrimination

        http://motto.time.com/4290582/carrie-preston-unequal-pay/

        Actress Carrie Preston says she tried and failed to get equal pay.

        Prejudice: Institutional racism

        http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/04/25/3772111/everything-thats-wrong-with-americas-death-penalty-in-one-awful
-case/

        "Man sentenced to die after 'expert' testified that Black people are dangerous."

        Prejudice: Institutional inclusion

        http://www.startribune.com/target-says-transgender-people-can-use-bathroom-that-aligns-with-their-identity/37625691
1/

        "Target [U.S. store chain] says transgender people can use bathroom that aligns with their identity."

        Prejudice: Stereotyping

        http://www.dailycal.org/2016/04/14/uc-berkeley-student-questioned-refused-service-speaking-arabic-flight/

        "UC Berkeley student questioned, refused service after speaking Arabic on flight."

        Prejudice:  Who's that in the bathroom?

        http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2016/04/30/3774237/man-stops-woman-from-using-womens-bathroom/

        http://jezebel.com/police-refuse-to-believe-lesbian-is-a-woman-force-her-1773733431

        The first link is to a story and video of a man who followed a woman into the women's bathroom because he thought
she might be a man.  The second link is to a video of police forcing a lesbian to leave the women's bathroom because she
can't prove she is a woman.

Topic Resources

Aggression: No mass shootings in Australia since 1996

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/04/28/port-arthur-gun-reform_n_9717980.html

April 28, 1996 was a very fateful day in Australia.  Read about it and its aftermath.

Aggression: The Kobe Bryant rape case

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2016/04/13/3768242/kope-bryant-rape-case-legacy/

As NBA superstar Kobe Bryant retires this year, this excellent essay reviews another chapter from his life and
its influence on subsequent rape accusations.

Attraction & Relationships: "Does frequent sex lead to better relationships?"

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/releases/does-frequent-sex-lead-to-better-relationships-depends-on-how-y
ou-ask.html

Newlywed couples who have a lot of sex don't report any greater happiness explicitly, but implicitly they do.  I
think the lesson here is if you are going to get married, marry a newlywed!

Attraction & Relationships: "Responsive partners show two kinds of empathy"

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/obsonline/responsive-partnerships-require-caring-and-un
derstanding.html

Conflict & Peacemaking: Reducing conflict through intergroup contact

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/obsonline/reducing-intergroup-conflict-through-contact.
html

Recent research conducted in the field

Gender & Culture:  Stereotypes of men and women in science

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-03/wc-nsf032816.php

This research finds that people's stereotypes of men align with their stereotypes of scientists, but their
stereotypes of women do not.

Gender & Culture: Women Air Force service pilots

http://www.twu.edu/library/wasp.asp

Fascinating history from World War II of the first women to fly for the U.S. military

Gender & Culture: Cheerleader "Do's and Don'ts"

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cheerleader-do-s-don-ts-gets-dropped-university-washington-n563811

"A flyer advising women on how to audition for the University of Washington's cheerleading squad ignited a
controversy Wednesday over female body image and how far educational institutions should go in sexualizing their
students."

Prejudice:  "Sexual orientation, controversy, and science"

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/sexual_orientation.html

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160425161342.htm

The latest issue of Psychological Science in the Public Interest provides a very thorough review of both the
science and the politics of this topic.  The second link is to a brief story about the article.

Prejudice: "To be Arab and American"

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/4/3/1507106/-To-be-Arab-and-American#read-more

A lot of good resources in this essay

Prejudice: "Talking to people about gay and transgender issues can changes their prejudices"

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/04/talking-people-about-gay-and-transgender-issues-can-change-their-prejudices

From research in Science

Prejudice: "When the majority becomes the minority"

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2016/april-16/when-the-majority-becomes-the-minority.ht
ml

The face of America is changing.  How will Whites handle no longer being the majority?  So far, it hasn't been
pretty.  This article looks at research in America and Australia.

Prejudice: "It takes a village to bully a transgender kindergartner"

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2016/04/22/3771366/dave-hannah-edwards-transgender-kindergartner/

Social Judgment: Intuition and unconscious influence on decision making

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/minds-business/intuition-its-more-than-a-feeling.html

Some fascinating research

Technology in Teaching

Images

Persuasion:  World War I propaganda posters

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/editions/ww1posters

From Learn NC

Video

Attraction & Relationships/Social Judgment: Non-verbal communication (1:29:53)

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2016/may-june-16/louder-than-words.html

Here are a series of talks from a panel on non-verbal communication at the 2015 International Convention of
Psychological Science.

Gender & Culture: Mean tweets about female sports reporters (4:15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tU-D-m2JY8

Prejudice: Honey Maid takes on Islamophobia in America (0:31)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/honey-maids-latest-wholesome-ad_us_5702bbb3e4b0a06d58066704

Prejudice: Sexual racism in online dating (5:27)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sexual-racism-the-daily-show_us_5710aa9ce4b0060ccda2e97d

A humorous look from The Daily Show -- warning: language

Prejudice: Harriet Tubman on the U.S. $20 bill (4:07)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5lYMil1Tts

A humorous take from Full Frontal with Samantha Bee

The Self:  Self-knowledge (45:13)

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2016/may-june-16/to-know-thyself-turn-to-science.html

At the 2015 APS Convention, Timothy Wilson gives a talk entitled, "Strangers to ourselves: The limits, sources,
advantages, and disadvantages of self-knowledge."

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses? Then send

me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the

following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of resources you would like examples

of? Particular topics you are interested in? Teaching tips? Technology tips? I want to tailor this newsletter to

your needs. So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them

directly to me (jfmueller@...) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (

hopefully) by

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

30 North Brainard St.

North Central College

Naperville, IL 60540

jfmueller@...

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2016.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes. Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

.

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

===============

Jon Mueller