[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 14, No. 11

David P. Dillard

..

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 13:48:36 -0500
From: Jonathan Mueller <jfmueller@...>
To: socialpsy-teach@...
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 14, No. 11

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 14, No. 11

August 12, 2015

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the
Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

Welcome new subscribers! To view previous issues of the Newsletter go to the archive at

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

Or, you can find links to all those materials at the Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/

Also, if you ever have any activities or videos or other resources you would like to share please pass them along.  Now,
let's see what all the hubbub is about.

 Activities and Exercises

         Conflict & Peacemaking: Professor's exam question

         http://mashable.com/2015/07/16/cruel-extra-credit-problem/

         Professor offers 2 or 6 extra credits points on the students' final paper grade.  But if more than 10% select 6
points then no one gets any extra points.

         Prejudice: "Using Shrek to teach about stigma"

         http://top.sagepub.com/content/42/3/260.short

         Social Judgment: Can we make some decisions better unconsciously?

         http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2015/may-june-15/teaching-current-directions
-in-psychological-science-22.html#decision

         Cindi May and Gil Einstein review a Current Directions article that looks at this question, and they suggest ways
to engage your students in this query.

Examples

Aggression: Violence towards minorities

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/07/women_facing_civil_rights_viol.html#incart_m-rpt-1

"Two women face civil rights violations after allegedly attacking lesbian couple at Six Flags New
England."

Prejudice: Institutional racism

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2015/06/09/3667567/judge-rules-new-york-teachers-exam-racially-biased/

Is the New York teacher exam biased towards White people?

Prejudice: The persecutors claim to be persecuted

http://americablog.com/2015/07/catholic-group-anti-gay-new-gay-offensive-ad.html

Topic Resources

Aggression: Crime pays ... and that's a good thing!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/15/health/one-summer-after-the-als-ice-bucket-challenge/index.html

Richmond, California paid criminals for staying out of trouble, and it worked.

Aggression: Police violence in the U.S. vs. Europe

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/08/10/3689980/chart-police-weekend-shootings/

In one graph

Aggression: "Psychosis and violence aren't strongly linked"

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/obsonline/psychosis-and-violence-arent-strongly-linke
d.html

Wait, all the TV shows I watch are wrong?  Is that possible?

Aggression: "How rudeness spreads like a contagion"

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2015/07/how-rudeness-spreads-like-contagion.html

Attraction: The handsome son effect

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2015/07/why-fathers-might-want-to-thank-their.html

"Women rated men's faces as more attractive when they were shown alongside a good-looking son."

Gender & Culture: Responses to a nobel laureate's sexist comments

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2015/06/11/3668712/female-scientists-responded-brutally-sexist-comments-nobel-laureate/

Gender & Culture/Prejudice: Inequality in film

http://annenberg.usc.edu/pages/~/media/MDSCI/Inequality%20in%20700%20Popular%20Films%208215%20Final%20for%20Posting.ashx

"Inequality in 700 popular films: Examining portrayals of gender, race, and LGBT status from 2007 to 2014" is
a report from USC's Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism.

Helping: So what happened to the Ice Bucket Challenge money raised?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/15/health/one-summer-after-the-als-ice-bucket-challenge/index.html

Here's an accounting of the $115 million raised, one year later.

Helping: "The myth of the ethical shopper"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfANs2y_frk

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/the-myth-of-the-ethical-shopper/

We would like to believe that conscientious shopping can change the world, but this excellent essay shows how
complicated and difficult that is.  The first link is to a video of an interesting street test suggesting that
you can improve the lives of the poor by how you shop.  The essay at the second link suggests it's not so
easy.

Helping: What happens when a city gives its poor residents money without strings?

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2015/07/01/3676097/utrecht-universal-basic-income/

See what happened when Utrecht, Netherlands tried this.  Others have tried as well.

Methods: "Watch our for the experienced study participant"

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/obsonline/watch-out-for-the-experienced-study-partici
pant.html

Methods: Are online participants paying attention?

http://mindhacks.com/2015/07/24/are-online-experiment-participants-paying-attention/

Do you use Amazon Turk or another online tool for recruiting participants?  This study suggests your online
participants may actually be paying more attention and putting in more effort than those on campus.

Persuasion: Combating anti-vaccine attitudes

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2015/08/researchers-say-theyve-found-way-to.html

New research suggests a better strategy than presenting counterarguments.

Prejudice: "The vast, hidden community of racial hatred in America"

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/07/23/3683234/vast-hidden-community-racial-hatred-america/

A good review of some existing hate groups

Prejudice: Multiracial Americans

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015/06/11/multiracial-in-america/

A good report from The Pew Research Center on the growing number of mixed-race individuals in America

Prejudice: A very interesting measure of dehumanization

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2015/07/psychologists-reveal-our-blatant.html

Perhaps you can even use this sliding scale with your students.

Prejudice/Social Judgment: "The negative in positive stereotypes"

http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2015/07/20/424640508/the-negative-in-positive-stereotypes

This blog entry reviews an interesting new article which finds that positive stereotypes can have some
positive effects, but the effects tend to be more negative in interpersonal and group interactions.

Psychology in the Courtroom: The Central Park Jogger case

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/convention/the-science-and-the-injustice-of-the-central-park-jogger-case.ht
ml

A brief review of the case and the interrogation techniques used to draw the false confessions

Psychology in the Courtroom: False confessions, lie detection, and mental illness

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/convention/law-and-disorder.html

This article reviews some research presented at the APS convention.

Social Judgment: Can you make your face look more trustworthy?

http://www.spring.org.uk/2015/06/this-facial-expression-appears-more-trustworthy-to-others.php

Yes, according to this research -- competent? Not so much.

The Self: The development of self-control

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/convention/portrait-of-self-control-as-a-young-process.html

This article reviews some research presented at the APS convention.

The Self: "Self-proclaimed experts more vulnerable to the illusion of knowledge"

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/releases/self-proclaimed-experts-more-vulnerable-to-the-illusion-of-kn
owledge.html

Like I'm telling you something you didn't already know.  "New research reveals that the more people think they
know about a topic in general, the more likely they are to allege knowledge of completely made-up information
and false facts, a phenomenon known as 'overclaiming.'"

Technology in Teaching

Images

General: Millions of free photos

http://photopin.com/

At Photopin

General: Lots of free military photos

http://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/photography.html

General: Create your own infographics

http://www.easel.ly/

Or your students can.

Video

Attraction & Relationships: "Girl, you don't need makeup" (3:15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyeTJVU4wVo

A humorous take on the subject from Amy Schumer

Attraction & Relationships: 100 years of Russian beauty (1:40)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oxCXlGKTlk#t=15

I have sent you a couple of these before.  Here is the 8th installment of this series.

Conformity: Philip Zimbardo looks back on his classic study (31:59)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stanford-prison-experiment-creator-looks-back-on-its-violent-outcome_55a5883ee4b0c5f0
322bb372?

And he likes the new film on his study!

Gender & Culture: Transgender terms (2:34)

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/transgender-terms-breaking-definitions-dos-donts-30571494

A nice review of terms related to gender and sexuality

Helping: "What if the homeless gave you money?" (5:19)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZvYvOkqxA8

Methods: Correlation is not causation

https://vimeo.com/115188874 (6:00)

https://vimeo.com/115124741 (8:37)

The first animated video does a nice job of illustrating and explaining the concept of correlation.  The
second video addresses why a correlation does not imply causation, and it also explains how to test a causal
hypothesis.

Persuasion: Videos from subscriber Robert Cialdini

http://bigthink.com/experts/robertcialdini

Prejudice: How the media treats White vs. Black "riots" (2:25)

https://www.facebook.com/bravenewfilms/videos/10152837180812016/?fref=nf

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses? Then
send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them
in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of resources you would like
examples of? Particular topics you are interested in? Teaching tips? Technology tips? I want to tailor this
newsletter to your needs. So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources.
Send them directly to me (jfmueller@...) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
30 North Brainard St.
North Central College
Naperville, IL 60540
jfmueller@...
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2015.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes. Please pass it
along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

===============

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology