UNITED STATES: POLITICS: POLITICAL PARTIES: REPUBLICAN PARTY, TEA PARTY : INDUSTRIES: PETROLEUM : LIBERTARIANISM : WAR MONGERING: The Republican Juggernaut Marching Us to War

David P. Dillard

..

..

UNITED STATES: POLITICS:

POLITICAL PARTIES: REPUBLICAN PARTY, TEA PARTY :

INDUSTRIES: PETROLEUM :

LIBERTARIANISM :

WAR MONGERING:

The Republican Juggernaut Marching Us to War

..

..

The Republican Juggernaut Marching Us to War

David Coates Become

Worrell Professor of Anglo-American Studies,

Wake Forest University, Department of Politics

Updated: 08/07/2015 5:59 pm EDT

Huffington Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-coates/ the-republican-juggernaut_b_7955380.html

..

A shorter URL for the above link:

..

http://tinyurl.com/pwx2atf

..

..

Rand Paul apart, there seems to be near unanimity on three dominant themes.

..

The first is that the U.S. economy is currently underperforming -- doing less well in terms of competitiveness and employment than it could and should -- and is doing so primarily because of excessive regulation, burdensome taxation and the inflated size of government sustained by the Obama Administration.

..

The second is that U.S. foreign policy abroad is currently both ineffectual and threatening to our domestic national security, and is so partly because of the naivety and lack of patriotism of the President himself, and partly because of the propensity of the State Department under both Clinton and Kerry to under-resource our allies and to under-estimate our enemies.

..

The third is that the two weaknesses -- economic underperformance at home and the ineffectual deployment of U.S. power abroad -- are linked; and that the way to resolve both is to spend more on our military, not less, and to deploy that military capacity in an ever more aggressive assault on radical Islamic terrorism.

..

There were dissenting voices on the stage last night -- John Kasich refusing to send another U.S. soldier into harm's way unless it was absolutely necessary, and Rand Paul pointing out how so much of our military equipment ends up in the hands of people who hate us. There was even a Jeb Bush concession that, with the wisdom of hindsight, the decision to invade Iraq was a mistake. But none of that broke the thrust of the over-riding message from the rest: that America (to be strong again) needs to be more belligerent, not less, in the Middle East; that the Middle East is currently unstable because the Obama Administration withdrew from Iraq too quickly and signed a deal with Iran too lightly; and that unless we completely destroy ISIS on its own territory, ISIS will come after us and attempt to destroy America here.

..

Lindsay Graham was the only one honest enough to insist that the United States needs to put troops back on the ground in the Middle East if ISIS is to be defeated there: But he was not alone in seeking to establish his credentials by beating the drums of war.

..

snip

..

The economic under-performance that so concerns the current crop of Republican candidates did not start with the Obama Administration. It predated it.

..

snip

..

The instabilities of the Middle East are not the product of any naivety or lack of patriotism on the part of President Obama. If there is an administration in recent US history that is guilty of naivety, it is surely the administration of Obama's immediate predecessor. We live now in the shadow of the ill-informed Bush decision to invade Iraq.

..

snip

..

Economic under-performance at home and ineffectual U.S. foreign policy abroad may well be linked, but the direction of causality is exactly the opposite of the one canvassed by Republicans in their first debate. It is because too much U.S. treasure and personnel are deployed militarily abroad that the resources necessary for nation-building at home are so depleted. It is because we are currently overstretched abroad that we are under-resourced at home.

..

..

..

..

Research Guides
http://tinyurl.com/qy3gq6g
AND

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IndoorGardeningUrban/info

Information Literacy (Russell Conwell Center Guide)

http://tinyurl.com/o4pn4o9

..

..

..