[Net-Gold] INDOOR GARDENING : GARDENING : BOTANICAL GARDENS : UNITED STATES: CITIES: BUFFALO, NEW YORK: $3 Million Renovation to Botanical Gardens is Underway

INDOOR GARDENING :

GARDENING :

BOTANICAL GARDENS :

UNITED STATES: CITIES: BUFFALO, NEW YORK:

$3 Million Renovation to Botanical Gardens is Underway

$3 Million Renovation to Botanical Gardens is Underway

1,200-pound cycad moved after 70 years

By Jane Kwiatkowski Radlich

on July 23, 2015 - 9:13 PM

updated July 23, 2015 at 10:42 PM

The Buffalo News

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/south-buffalo/ 3-million-renovation-to-botanical-gardens-is-underway-20150723

A shorter URL for the above link:

http://tinyurl.com/o23bda2

As the initial phases of the $3 million renovation at the Buffalo & Erie County Botanical Gardens began to take shape shortly after Memorial Day, it was clear the prickly cycad had to be moved. The 500-year-old, palmlike plant had lived happily for 70 years under the domes of the Victorian conservatory on South Park Avenue.

It had to be moved, said Todd Zintz, director of operations at the gardens. And we did the best we could with what we had to work with. It was archaic as it was ingenious. It took three people three days to gradually dig it out, and then it took another three people to move it onto a cart and into the big dome.

The 1,200-pound cycad which grows one inch a year and was donated in 1901 by John J. Albright was important to us, said David Swarts, president and CEO of the gardens.

Swarts was joined by a small group of county officials and garden enthusiasts who were gathered on the North Domes front lawn late Thursday morning to deliver the update on the garden project.

The county is providing the $3 million for the complete restoration of this building, said Erie County Executive Mark C. Poloncarz. The glass, as you see, was removed, as was the putty that held the glass in place. The problem was asbestos in the putty.

Work on the North Dome will include steel refurbishment and replacement, foundation and masonry repair, wood restoration and replacement, lighting upgrades, heating system repairs as well as the installation of a garden misting system.

We are celebrating the 115th birthday of the Botanical Gardens this year, said Swarts, who added that the attraction has been visited by many people over the century.

In 2014, the gardens welcomed more than 100,000 people to the tri-domed conservatory designed by Frederick A. Lord and Lords son-in-law William Addison Burnham of the firm Lord & Burnham.

Research Guides
http://tinyurl.com/qy3gq6g
AND

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IndoorGardeningUrban/info

Information Literacy (Russell Conwell Center Guide)

http://tinyurl.com/p63whl

Join Educator-Gold@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.