Topics

"What if?" Post-1950 narrow gauge ET&WNC discussion

Lost my NGDF  credentials but the room sized HOn3 plan that MR published ages ago would make a great tourist RR as it had all the key scenic features.

The On30 plan that Dr Tom is building from would work too.

Bill Uffelman

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 3:15 PM, Lee Bishop
<leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Lee Bishop

The guy who started that thread has a few other "What if?" posts but it's an interesting question.
A friend of mine in the hobby and I have bat this around for a while and I based my response on a lot of what we came up with for any plausible version of the ET&WNC surviving past the 50s.
We agreed a EBT-style scenario (where a scrap company bought the line and then just sat on it) wouldn't work for how desirable the right of way was after the 3-footer stopped running. It would have taken something really important found up in the hills, in an area where the road wouldn't have gotten to it easily. Must like the D&RGW had those issues with the oil fields and crummy roads prevented any other way to get up there than the 3-foot trains...
Normally, I tire easy of the what-if things, but I'd love to hear any other opinions on this subject.
Just the idea of a ET&WNC that still existed to Cranberry, with trains like you now see on the D&RGW segments and the White Pass, with 9, 11 and 12 still in existence (and the Blowing Rock park with just White Pass power and called something else), that's a powerful dream...

Andy

Edited

Hi Lee,
I was one of the people that responded on the other site.  I am attaching a link to the Mindat mineral website.  The interactive map shows magnatite mineral discoveries around Elk Park and Cranberry, the magnatine/hematite mine at Cranberry, and multiple feldspar discoveries a little beyond Cranberry in two directions.  One feldspar source was discovered in 1962.

https://www.mindat.org/loc-10379.html

Here is a link to an article describing how important the Spurce Pine district is for mica and feldspar.

https://www.smliv.com/stories/digging-deep-into-western-north-carolinas-mining-history/

Avery County - mines and minerals information:

https://www.averyjournal.com/avery/mines-and-minerals/article_77d14c26-d2c7-5420-be9d-7f67b7b4e5f5.html

Sincerely,
Andy

Mike West

The first wines in the New World were grown in NC and there are still many wineries throughout the state. On my G scale version of the ETWNC, the Cranberry Store has been turned into a winery with an additional siding. See it on YouTube Mike West train 2019.