Western Rails 3D print ET&WNC hopper car in O scale

Sorry the last message was blank, couldn't get it to open on my work computer to add text.
Just got my 3D print from Western Rails yesterday, and show it compared to my On30IMA kit.
Other than the ratchets for the chutes on the sides, the WR car is leaps and bounds better.  It's far better detailed, has some real heft to it, and all I'll have to do is find a brake wheel and shaft for one end as I have couplers and trucks.
This is a very sturdy car, the closest I've seen so far for a RTR car for a ET&WNC prototype.
Great job, and I'll be getting more!

Thanks for taking the plunge Lee and getting one of these. It does look good and when the budget allows I will be getting three. Appreciate the info. Dr Tom.

On Mar 2, 2021, at 11:04 AM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Tim Smith

I’ve bought the 3 of the 36’ gonds and have had a lot of trouble getting them to negotiate a 24” radius. Had to remove a lot of material from the underside to give the wheels some clearance.  Also if you use the trucks he provides you need to take a drill bit and BY HAND open up the depth of the box. This makes the trucks roll as good as San Juan’s.

Tim

Sent from Tim Smith's iPhone SE

On Mar 2, 2021, at 2:11 PM, Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...> wrote:

Thanks for taking the plunge Lee and getting one of these. It does look good and when the budget allows I will be getting three. Appreciate the info. Dr Tom.

On Mar 2, 2021, at 11:04 AM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Lee Bishop

Tim
Thanks for the info. I have some bachmann trucks in plan on using. If I have to grind away underneath, it's still easier than the wood kits I have...

Tim Smith

I think the wood kits are some of easiest to build and set up. I have San Juan trucks all  undermine.

On Mar 2, 2021, at 2:56 PM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Tim
Thanks for the info. I have some bachmann trucks in plan on using. If I have to grind away underneath, it's still easier than the wood kits I have...

I just finished my WR 3D print hopper.
It took decals well. During the build I took notes on every drill bit I needed, so future ones will be much easier.

Tim Smith

Looks good....I still need to sit down and build my remaining 5 wood kits.  Maybe when things slow down I’ll get them this summer.

Here’s what’s on my work bench now.  The #3 made from a bli 278 with a 2-6-0 tender. I have a wood cab kit coming this week to finish it off.

On Mar 16, 2021, at 1:27 AM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

<20210315_222116-01.jpeg>
<20210315_221928-01.jpeg>

I just finished my WR 3D print hopper.
It took decals well. During the build I took notes on every drill bit I needed, so future ones will be much easier.

Tim,
The one thing the wood kits are missing is a lot of the details of the real cars.
WR's 3D prints aren't perfect either but they're much closer to the real car design.
In this shot, the new WR one is coupled to an On30IMA one and there's a big difference between the two.

Nice picture Lee. One nice detail that does show up on the 3D print is the body bolsters made from twin I beams. It was impossible to pull this off on the hopper kits that I assembled and the scratch build of #1.

Railroad budget is tied up with track and turnouts now for the gradually expanding On30 layout, but I hope to get some of the 3D hopper prints in the future.

Doc Tom

On Mar 16, 2021, at 8:15 PM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Tim,
The one thing the wood kits are missing is a lot of the details of the real cars.
WR's 3D prints aren't perfect either but they're much closer to the real car design.
In this shot, the new WR one is coupled to an On30IMA one and there's a big difference between the two.
<36968.jpeg>

I ordered a couple more the other day and one of them will be road number 1 once I get them and get to the decal phase.
Stoney Creek branch of the ET&WNC in On30

Tom Grabenstein

Looking forward to seeing your new creation. Dr Tom

On Mar 28, 2021, at 3:00 PM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

I ordered a couple more the other day and one of them will be road number 1 once I get them and get to the decal phase.
Stoney Creek branch of the ET&WNC in On30

Tim Smith

I just started on a couple of the kit hoppers this weekend. I have 5 to do and that will bring the roster up to 10 hoppers.

--
Tim Smith
Train Shop Lead

Sounds good, Tim.
I have five of the On30IMA kits from the start of the pandemic. Three of these 3D prints will make it eight cars. I'll have enough for a full train for my layout and then some
Stoney Creek branch of the ET&WNC in On30

Tim Smith

I got a deal on these 5 kits back in May, originally 8 was gonna be my max but with the deal i got 10 total.  So far i have 1, 7, 10, 12, and 25.  These will be 3, 32, 38, 43 and 46. Should make a pretty nice train if i pull them all. I also have 4 steel hoppers #'s 49,50, 51 and 52.  If Western rails was to make 47 and 48 ill definitely get them.

Tim

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 9:02 PM Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:
Sounds good, Tim.
I have five of the On30IMA kits from the start of the pandemic. Three of these 3D prints will make it eight cars. I'll have enough for a full train for my layout and then some
Stoney Creek branch of the ET&WNC in On30

--
Tim Smith
Train Shop Lead
The Dollywood Company
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee

Just finished weathering the last two 3D print hoppers.

20210422_211523
I found that the coal pads that come with Bachmann gondolas fit perfectly into these hoppers if you notch the underside of each end and break off those tabs.

20210422_211538

Before I go to bed, there'll be three of these 3D print hoppers on the layout.

Stoney Creek branch of the ET&WNC in On30

Lee Bishop

36, 43 and 1 are now in place...
Stoney Creek branch of the ET&WNC in On30

Tom Grabenstein

Lee, the hoppers look great. Neat trick with the coal loads as well.  Dr Tom

On Apr 23, 2021, at 12:01 AM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Just finished weathering the last two 3D print hoppers.

20210422_211523
I found that the coal pads that come with Bachmann gondolas fit perfectly into these hoppers if you notch the underside of each end and break off those tabs.

20210422_211538

Before I go to bed, there'll be three of these 3D print hoppers on the layout.
<42374.jpeg>

Stoney Creek branch of the ET&WNC in On30

Brian Kopp

Wow Lee they look great!. Nice work.

I am a Western Rails fan too, but in HOn3. They are definitely helping us narrow-minded types.....

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, Florida

Dean Smith

They look great!  As always, great work.

Dean