Topics

The Linville River layout design element (LDE) o

William Uffelman

For years the original Caboose Hobbies in Denver displayed a CV bridge reworked for On3. It has been a while but as I recall the major change was to the entry portals. Pieces of rivet plate were were added to the main angled girder. This may have been discussed on the old On3 Yahoo group.

As to your Plasticville bridge I believe that the laser cut floor beam detail assembly is still available from either Micro Mark or the firm that cut it for them.

Good start on the expansion of your empire Dr Tom.

Bill Uffelman

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 9:01 AM, Tom Grabenstein
<tomgmd@...> wrote:
Thank you. This is the type of information I was angling for. This is really a helpful and supportive group. 

Are "Chris’ excellent drawings”  of ET&WNC bridges available?

I will be perusing Central Valley website soon looking for bridge parts.

Doc Tom

On Apr 9, 2020, at 9:06 PM, Tuhr <MrTuhr@...> wrote:

Tom:

The Central Valley truss bridge makes an excellent model and with modifications can be perfect for the ET&WNC.  It works great in S-scale and I see no reason it wouldn’t work in O-scale too.  Nice thing about the kit is you can use the various parts to accurately represent the ET bridges and can make it scale suitable.  Just use one of Chris’ excellent drawings as a template.  I have built three so far...the last was for John Waite’s layout...not sure what became of it.

Take care.

From: ETWNC@groups.io <ETWNC@groups.io> on behalf of Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...>
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2020 11:39:00 AM
To: ETWNC@groups.io <ETWNC@groups.io>
Subject: [ETWNC] The Linville River layout design element (LDE) on the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad.

The good ole boys have been hard at work constructing the next layout design element(LDE) on the ET and WNC RR in On30.

We are back in the blue foam stage again. The river bottom is tempered hardboard and will be painted to look like a swift flowing river in the mountains.

The through truss iron bridge over the river is a cutdown Bachmann “Plasticville” bridge in O scale. If you all know of any other iron truss bridge kits in O scale let this “ole boy” know.

So far the bridge is doing its job to keep the feet of the steam lokie dry.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Dean Smith

Hi.  I built two bridges in the Gorge in HO scale using the Central Valley kits, Chris’s drawings, and Tuhr’s excellent article in the Blue Ridge Stemwinder (Spring/Summer 2005).  I strongly recommend referring to his article, as it was a great help to me.   I had to make some modifications, such as cutting down the width of the chords, which wouldn’t be a problem in your scale.  Although the prototype bridges were standard gauge bridges, I built them to narrow gauge dimensions to fit my space better.  Looking forward to seeing your progress.  Thanks!

Dean Smith 

Sent: Friday, April 10, 2020 9:25 AM
Subject: Re: [ETWNC] The Linville River layout design element (LDE) o

For years the original Caboose Hobbies in Denver displayed a CV bridge reworked for On3. It has been a while but as I recall the major change was to the entry portals. Pieces of rivet plate were were added to the main angled girder. This may have been discussed on the old On3 Yahoo group.

As to your Plasticville bridge I believe that the laser cut floor beam detail assembly is still available from either Micro Mark or the firm that cut it for them.

Bill Uffelman

<tomgmd@...> wrote:
Thank you. This is the type of information I was angling for. This is really a helpful and supportive group. 

Are "Chris’ excellent drawings”  of ET&WNC bridges available?

Doc Tom

Tom:

The Central Valley truss bridge makes an excellent model and with modifications can be perfect for the ET&WNC.  It works great in S-scale and I see no reason it wouldn’t work in O-scale too.  Nice thing about the kit is you can use the various parts to accurately represent the ET bridges and can make it scale suitable.  Just use one of Chris’ excellent drawings as a template.  I have built three so far...the last was for John Waite’s layout...not sure what became of it.

Take care.

From: ETWNC@groups.io <ETWNC@groups.io> on behalf of Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...>
Subject: [ETWNC] The Linville River layout design element (LDE) on the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad.

The good ole boys have been hard at work constructing the next layout design element(LDE) on the ET and WNC RR in On30.

We are back in the blue foam stage again. The river bottom is tempered hardboard and will be painted to look like a swift flowing river in the mountains.

The through truss iron bridge over the river is a cutdown Bachmann “Plasticville” bridge in O scale. If you all know of any other iron truss bridge kits in O scale let this “ole boy” know.

William Uffelman

Good looking bridges. Thanks for sharing your work.

Bil Uffelman

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 11:27 AM, Dean Smith
<smithfive@...> wrote:
Hi.  I built two bridges in the Gorge in HO scale using the Central Valley kits, Chris’s drawings, and Tuhr’s excellent article in the Blue Ridge Stemwinder (Spring/Summer 2005).  I strongly recommend referring to his article, as it was a great help to me.   I had to make some modifications, such as cutting down the width of the chords, which wouldn’t be a problem in your scale.  Although the prototype bridges were standard gauge bridges, I built them to narrow gauge dimensions to fit my space better.  Looking forward to seeing your progress.  Thanks!

Dean Smith 

Bill Uffelman

<tomgmd@...> wrote:

Doc Tom

Tom:

The Central Valley truss bridge makes an excellent model and with modifications can be perfect for the ET&WNC.  It works great in S-scale and I see no reason it wouldn’t work in O-scale too.  Nice thing about the kit is you can use the various parts to accurately represent the ET bridges and can make it scale suitable.  Just use one of Chris’ excellent drawings as a template.  I have built three so far...the last was for John Waite’s layout...not sure what became of it.

Take care.

Dean Smith

Dean Smith

Chris Ford

As Dean said, the drawings of the Blevins bridge ran in the 16/1 Spring/Summer 2005 issue of the Stemwinder along with Tuhr's excellent article.

The drawing was a repeat article...it had first run in the 5/4 Ap-May-June 1993 issue along with a story about the bridge by John.

If you eventually get into the wooden bridges, there were drawings of the Hampton covered bridge in the 4/4 Spring 1992 issue. Also, drawings of the Hampton 3-span covered deck bridge ran in the 4/3 Winter 1992 issue. These drawings were repeated in a later issue, 15/2 Fall/Winter 2004. Doesn't hurt to look at all the articles as we ran stories with some of them and some not.

Check the very last Stemwinder issue (18/2) as it has a comprehensive list of all 64 issues and their contents. If you have the Stemwinder CD the last issue (along with most of the later issues) is searchable, pretty easy to find your topic.

You'll also find drawings of the Johnson City blast furnace....can't wait to see your model of that one!  :)

Chris

------------------------
Chris Ford
President - ET&WNC Railroad Historical Society
www.etwncrrhs.org
chris@...
901-497-0809
------------------------
www.cfordart.com

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 10:03:02 -0500, "Dean Smith" <smithfive@...> wrote:

Dean Smith 

Bill Uffelman

<tomgmd@...> wrote:

Doc Tom

Tom:

Take care.

Dean Smith

I was able to “cheat” with the furnace.  I didn’t really have adequate room to do it justice, so I came up with the idea of mounting a photograph of John Waite’s furnace against the backdrop.  I modeled a small hill in front of it, with the track disappearing behind the hill.  I think it worked out pretty well.  I’m including photos of both John’s furnace and my backdrop.  It makes me feel good to have another reminder of John on the railroad.  Of course there are the clouds, but that’s another story.

Dean

Sent: Friday, April 10, 2020 12:14 PM

As Dean said, the drawings of the Blevins bridge ran in the 16/1 Spring/Summer 2005 issue of the Stemwinder along with Tuhr's excellent article.

The drawing was a repeat article...it had first run in the 5/4 Ap-May-June 1993 issue along with a story about the bridge by John.

If you eventually get into the wooden bridges, there were drawings of the Hampton covered bridge in the 4/4 Spring 1992 issue. Also, drawings of the Hampton 3-span covered deck bridge ran in the 4/3 Winter 1992 issue. These drawings were repeated in a later issue, 15/2 Fall/Winter 2004. Doesn't hurt to look at all the articles as we ran stories with some of them and some not.

Check the very last Stemwinder issue (18/2) as it has a comprehensive list of all 64 issues and their contents. If you have the Stemwinder CD the last issue (along with most of the later issues) is searchable, pretty easy to find your topic.

You'll also find drawings of the Johnson City blast furnace....can't wait to see your model of that one!  :)

Chris

------------------------
Chris Ford
www.etwncrrhs.org
chris@...
901-497-0809
------------------------
www.cfordart.com

Dean Smith

Bill Uffelman

<tomgmd@...> wrote:

Doc Tom

Tom:

Take care.

William Uffelman

Nicely done!

Bil Uffelman

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 1:47 PM, Dean Smith
<smithfive@...> wrote:
I was able to “cheat” with the furnace.  I didn’t really have adequate room to do it justice, so I came up with the idea of mounting a photograph of John Waite’s furnace against the backdrop.  I modeled a small hill in front of it, with the track disappearing behind the hill.  I think it worked out pretty well.  I’m including photos of both John’s furnace and my backdrop.  It makes me feel good to have another reminder of John on the railroad.  Of course there are the clouds, but that’s another story.

Dean

Chris

------------------------
Chris Ford
www.etwncrrhs.org
chris@...
901-497-0809
------------------------
www.cfordart.com

Dean Smith

Bill Uffelman

<tomgmd@...> wrote:

Doc Tom

Tom:

Take care.

Chris Ford

The photo representation of the furnace worked out VERY nicely. Especially since none of us seems to have either the time or the money it would take to do that thing justice. John's model is a masterpiece...glad it got saved!

The clouds you speak of....well, all I can say is that clouds are "high" in the sky. You'll have to tell the rest of the story at some point.  :)

Chris

------------------------
Chris Ford
www.etwncrrhs.org
chris@...
901-497-0809
------------------------
www.cfordart.com

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 12:45:05 -0500, "Dean Smith" <smithfive@...> wrote:

Dean

Chris

------------------------
Chris Ford
www.etwncrrhs.org
chris@...
901-497-0809
------------------------
www.cfordart.com

Dean Smith

Bill Uffelman

<tomgmd@...> wrote:

Doc Tom

Tom:

Take care.

Dean Smith

“I’ve looked at clouds from both sides now, from up and down and still somehow, It’s clouds illusions I recall, I really don’t know clouds at all . . .”—Joni Mitchell

In the interest of not having to go to work today (or any day in the foreseeable future, for that matter), I’ll tell the story now.  Those of you who knew John Waite remember that when he got the idea to do something, he was all in right now.  Many years ago, when my layout was young, I procured some cloud stencils to complete the sky portion of my backdrop.  John came over to help and brought a dangerous tool:  a spray can trigger. We got busy painting clouds. I guess we didn’t have adequate masks, although I did open the basement door.    Unbeknownst to either of us, we both got higher than kites on the fumes.  We started making cloud shapes:  “Look, John, here’s a whale.”   “No, Dean, I think it looks more like a bear.”  I even fell off the benchwork at one point.  No problem, it didn’t even hurt (then).  John left after a great day of cloud creation.  I woke up the next morning with a tremendous headache and a bruised backside, and went down to look at the railroad.  The entire sky was covered in clouds, and it looked like a storm was brewing all the way from Johnson City to Boone.  Long story short, I had to repaint the entire backdrop, except for a small area I left to commemorate the adventure, and then added a few clouds at a time to create a more normal, although certainly less impressive, effect. This photo of John remains one of my all-time favorites.

Dean  

Sent: Friday, April 10, 2020 1:25 PM

The photo representation of the furnace worked out VERY nicely. Especially since none of us seems to have either the time or the money it would take to do that thing justice. John's model is a masterpiece...glad it got saved!

The clouds you speak of....well, all I can say is that clouds are "high" in the sky. You'll have to tell the rest of the story at some point.  :)

Chris

------------------------
Chris Ford
www.etwncrrhs.org
chris@...
901-497-0809
------------------------
www.cfordart.com

Dean

Chris

------------------------
Chris Ford
www.etwncrrhs.org
chris@...
901-497-0809
------------------------
www.cfordart.com

Dean Smith

Bill Uffelman

<tomgmd@...> wrote:

Doc Tom

Tom:

Take care.

William Uffelman

Many may recall Bob Love, a first rate On3 modeler. Bob decided that Floquil driftwood was the perfect base color for his large basement layout that was entirely covered with rock castings so he filled up his automotive spray gun several times and sprayed away. There were no operable windows in the basement so the Floquil odor went directly up the stairs to the kitchen. The family had to stay in a hotel for the next week while exhaust fans aired it out.

Ask Joe Luber deceased owner of Pro Custom Hobbied what a steady diet of certain paint thinners can do to you. Model railroading can kill you.

Bill Uffelman

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 3:58 PM, Dean Smith
<smithfive@...> wrote:
“I’ve looked at clouds from both sides now, from up and down and still somehow, It’s clouds illusions I recall, I really don’t know clouds at all . . .”—Joni Mitchell

In the interest of not having to go to work today (or any day in the foreseeable future, for that matter), I’ll tell the story now.  Those of you who knew John Waite remember that when he got the idea to do something, he was all in right now.  Many years ago, when my layout was young, I procured some cloud stencils to complete the sky portion of my backdrop.  John came over to help and brought a dangerous tool:  a spray can trigger. We got busy painting clouds. I guess we didn’t have adequate masks, although I did open the basement door.    Unbeknownst to either of us, we both got higher than kites on the fumes.  We started making cloud shapes:  “Look, John, here’s a whale.”   “No, Dean, I think it looks more like a bear.”  I even fell off the benchwork at one point.  No problem, it didn’t even hurt (then).  John left after a great day of cloud creation.  I woke up the next morning with a tremendous headache and a bruised backside, and went down to look at the railroad.  The entire sky was covered in clouds, and it looked like a storm was brewing all the way from Johnson City to Boone.  Long story short, I had to repaint the entire backdrop, except for a small area I left to commemorate the adventure, and then added a few clouds at a time to create a more normal, although certainly less impressive, effect. This photo of John remains one of my all-time favorites.

Dean  

Sent: Friday, April 10, 2020 1:25 PM

Chris

------------------------
Chris Ford
www.etwncrrhs.org
chris@...
901-497-0809
------------------------
www.cfordart.com

Dean

Chris

------------------------
Chris Ford
www.etwncrrhs.org
chris@...
901-497-0809
------------------------
www.cfordart.com

Dean Smith

Bill Uffelman

<tomgmd@...> wrote:

Doc Tom

Tom:

Take care.

Tweetsie12

That's quite a humorous story! Thanks for sharing, and happy railroading Will! -Jonah Snyder

Tom Grabenstein

Thanks fellows for all the advice on the bridges, and the camaraderie. Great way to get our minds off the Corona pandemic. 
I am saving pictures and references you all sited.

Happy Easter. Dr Tom

On Apr 10, 2020, at 8:20 PM, Tweetsie12 <jonahsnyder12190@...> wrote:

That's quite a humorous story! Thanks for sharing, and happy railroading Will! -Jonah Snyder

John Edwards

The George L. Carter Railroad museum in Johnson City, TN has John Waite's beautiful iron furnace on display in it's gallery.

Unfortunately the museum is closed indefinitely for the Corona Virus emergency. We look forward to the

time when we can reopen to the public when it is safe.

Nice work on the backdrop. It looks great Dean.

John Edwards

Laser cutter programmer and operator

Mountain Empire Model Railroaders

On 4/10/2020 2:01 PM, William Uffelman via groups.io wrote:
Nicely done!

Bil Uffelman

Dean

Chris

------------------------
Chris Ford
www.etwncrrhs.org
chris@...
901-497-0809
------------------------
www.cfordart.com

Dean Smith

Bill Uffelman

Doc Tom

Tom:

Take care.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Chris Ford

John, you've done a great job, especially with the never ending task of keeping Fred supplied with laser-cut parts. Ya'll make a real workhorse team.

The ET layout is a real gem...a museum quality piece in every way. I wish everyone on this list could have the opportunity to see it in person...you'd be inspired.

Better days are ahead, and I look forward to getting back over there to see the new JCity Depot that Fred has cooked up. There's a photo of it in a mostly finished in the latest Society Newsletter. I'm sure it'll be in the next HOn3 Annual...with any luck at all.

Y'all stay safe, and keep the wood and glue handy for when we get to the end of this tunnel!

Chris

------------------------
Chris Ford
www.etwncrrhs.org
chris@...
901-497-0809
------------------------
www.cfordart.com

On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 08:36:17 -0400, "John Edwards" <john_edwards@...> wrote:

The George L. Carter Railroad museum in Johnson City, TN has John Waite's beautiful iron furnace on display in it's gallery.

Unfortunately the museum is closed indefinitely for the Corona Virus emergency. We look forward to the

time when we can reopen to the public when it is safe.

Nice work on the backdrop. It looks great Dean.

John Edwards

Laser cutter programmer and operator

Mountain Empire Model Railroaders

On 4/10/2020 2:01 PM, William Uffelman via groups.io wrote:
Nicely done!

Bil Uffelman

Dean

Chris

------------------------
Chris Ford
www.etwncrrhs.org
chris@...
901-497-0809
------------------------
www.cfordart.com

Dean Smith

Bill Uffelman

Doc Tom

Tom:

Take care.

John Edwards

Chris,

Thank you for your kind words.

It is a labor of love on my part. We are currently locked out of the Museum and I truly miss being able to do my work. You are the first to hear this,

not even Fred knows this yet but I have just bought my own Laser cutter. I have all this time on my hands so I will be able to work from home now.

You stay safe too and I will be getting the wood and glue out shortly.

John Edwards

On 4/12/2020 2:12 PM, Chris Ford wrote:
John, you've done a great job, especially with the never ending task of keeping Fred supplied with laser-cut parts. Ya'll make a real workhorse team.

The ET layout is a real gem...a museum quality piece in every way. I wish everyone on this list could have the opportunity to see it in person...you'd be inspired.

Better days are ahead, and I look forward to getting back over there to see the new JCity Depot that Fred has cooked up. There's a photo of it in a mostly finished in the latest Society Newsletter. I'm sure it'll be in the next HOn3 Annual...with any luck at all.

Y'all stay safe, and keep the wood and glue handy for when we get to the end of this tunnel!

Chris

------------------------
Chris Ford
www.etwncrrhs.org
chris@...
901-497-0809
------------------------
www.cfordart.com