Topics

Starting a Layout in On30

Tom Grabenstein

I have wanted to build this layout for a very long time. I have enjoyed On30 for about 10 years now. A sugar cane hauler set in 1920 Haiti and a primitive backwoods logging operation set in 1910 Kentucky and Tennessee.

But the ET &WNC RR ,”Tweetsie” has always held a special place in my model railroading heart. When Bachmann came out with their magnificent Baldwin 10 wheelers I was ready to do a medium sized layout in On30!!

So I moved a storage building in to the backyard and made my move to turn dreams in to reality. I have been reading everything I can on the prototype and joined the ET&WNC RR historical society. I live in Tennessee and Johnson City and the Doe River Gorge is not that far away. So field exploration is in the near future.

I got two of the beautiful locomotives and started to take the plunge in building up rolling stock. Here is my first go at equipment…… the parlor car #10 “Azalea”.

A Bachmann On30 coach provided the donor mechanism and hardware and roof. The very nice laser wooden kit from Deerfield Laser was chosen to build up the coach

I scoured the internet trying to find the colors used on Tweetsie Varnish and used some gloss rattle can paints to do up my rendition.

Well it at least an approximation of the colors I think they used.

I really enjoyed this shot from the prototype photos.....

......so I found some O scale chairs and had a go at recreating the little scene.

Here is a "topside" view of the fabric roof.

The actual layout is still in the planning stages and while rolling stock is accumulated a Porter on the mini logging layout will shuffle cars around for pictures.

So here is what is coming in hopefully the near future:

Iain Rice's nifty book "Shelf Layouts for Model Rail Roads" has this plan for the ET&WNC in On30 that should fit nicely in the storage building out back.

So thanks for looking and hopefully you all can follow along as this adventure begins.

172 Maplemere Drive
Clarksville Tennessee 37040

Mark Lewis

Tom:

Well done!  Looking forward to your new layout and ET&WNC modeling efforts.

Mark Lewis
Sn3 modeling in NC

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 11:52 PM Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Mark. I am looking forward to this build.

Doc Tom

On Mar 16, 2019, at 11:47 PM, Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:

[...]

That Iain Rice plan is very tempting - as are so many of his.

I look forward to progress reports!

Bill Uffelman

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 8:52 PM, Tom Grabenstein
<tomgmd@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Tom. Welcome to the society and thanks for sharing your modeling. Iain has some great ideas. Now if I only had the space 😂

Keep us posted!
Todd P.

Tom Grabenstein

Thanks Bill and Todd. I hope to keep at this project regularly.

Here is the storage building the layout will go in:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/QeGgqNt.jpg[/img]

Doc Tom

On Mar 17, 2019, at 8:30 AM, Thunder via Groups.Io <t_pearson1212=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Tom. Welcome to the society and thanks for sharing your modeling. Iain has some great ideas. Now if I only had the space 😂

Keep us posted!
Todd P.

William Uffelman

Looks like a great man cave!  Presume yo have decent electric service so you can put A/C in for summer comfort and heat for winter.

Bill Uffelman

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 9:39 AM, Tom Grabenstein
<tomgmd@...> wrote:
Thanks Bill and Todd. I hope to keep at this project regularly.

Here is the storage building the layout will go in:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/QeGgqNt.jpg[/img]

Doc Tom

> On Mar 17, 2019, at 8:30 AM, Thunder via Groups.Io <t_pearson1212=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Hi Tom. Welcome to the society and thanks for sharing your modeling. Iain has some great ideas. Now if I only had the space 😂
>
> Keep us posted!
> Todd P.

Lee Bishop

Tom,
This looks great so far, can't wait to see more of the layout once it exists! Even though there are a bunch of ET-marked ten-wheelers out there, I doubt there are many ET&WNC-dedicate layouts. I know in my own case, I have gotten many emails over the past couple of years saying they didn't know anyone actually modeled the ET primarily.
Lee Bishop
CEO, Stoney Creek branch, ET&WNC in On30
https://www.freewebs.com/willysmb44/modeltrains.htm

Tom Grabenstein

Your layout is wonderful Lee. I hope I can  emulate it. I hope I can  get some ideas from you and make something that we can be proud of.
Looking forward to this adventure.

Doc Tom