Topics

Smoke shots on the layout, with ET&WNC rolling stock of course!

Lee Bishop

I’ve been experimenting with some photos after changing the structure I use to represent smoke from locomotives in photos. It had been covered in cotton balls, but now I stretched foam pillow stuffing over it and painted it black. I’m just playing around trying to determine the best way to represent smoke with it, as it looks great in person.

In this shot, ET&WNC # 12 brings water car WC2 (formerly the tender of now-scrapped Stoney Creek Southern RR locomotive #2) slowly past the Unaka Company barrel plant at Winner, TN

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50039721657_a18f9b7c88_z.jpg

And here, #9 brings passenger coach 23 around the curve at Sadie, TN. Photographer Clarence Ilyankoff watches through the lens of his Speed Graphic camera:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50039463231_7559bd4acc_z.jpg

I will be doing more experiments to best show the smoke.

Oh my! Those are great!

Todd P

On Jun 25, 2020, at 11:28 AM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

I’ve been experimenting with some photos after changing the structure I use to represent smoke from locomotives in photos. It had been covered in cotton balls, but now I stretched foam pillow stuffing over it and painted it black. I’m just playing around trying to determine the best way to represent smoke with it, as it looks great in person.

In this shot, ET&WNC # 12 brings water car WC2 (formerly the tender of now-scrapped Stoney Creek Southern RR locomotive #2) slowly past the Unaka Company barrel plant at Winner, TN

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50039721657_a18f9b7c88_z.jpg

And here, #9 brings passenger coach 23 around the curve at Sadie, TN. Photographer Clarence Ilyankoff watches through the lens of his Speed Graphic camera:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50039463231_7559bd4acc_z.jpg

I will be doing more experiments to best show the smoke.

Smoke looks good. That said would the loco be working as hard as it enters the siding in the first picture? Just a thought.

Bill Uffelman

On Thursday, June 25, 2020, 12:20:28 PM EDT, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

I’ve been experimenting with some photos after changing the structure I use to represent smoke from locomotives in photos. It had been covered in cotton balls, but now I stretched foam pillow stuffing over it and painted it black. I’m just playing around trying to determine the best way to represent smoke with it, as it looks great in person.

In this shot, ET&WNC # 12 brings water car WC2 (formerly the tender of now-scrapped Stoney Creek Southern RR locomotive #2) slowly past the Unaka Company barrel plant at Winner, TN

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50039721657_a18f9b7c88_z.jpg

And here, #9 brings passenger coach 23 around the curve at Sadie, TN. Photographer Clarence Ilyankoff watches through the lens of his Speed Graphic camera:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50039463231_7559bd4acc_z.jpg

I will be doing more experiments to best show the smoke.

Mighty nice. A good technique. Doc Tom