Topics

Railfan trip to Johnson City, circa 1925

Dean Smith

I recently went on a railfanning trip to 1925 Johnson City and visited two railroads:  the ET&WNC and the ET&WNC--Vida Divison Railroad.  I got some pretty good photos of the Transfer Trestle that I thought I would share.  Thanks!

Dean

Tweetsie12

Nice Photos! Keep up the good work! -Jonah Snyder

Tim Smith

These are great wish I had them 2 weeks ago.  I built one using a tyco trestle set and installed stringers and braces in a very similar to Tweetsie’s trestle.

Sent from Tim Smith's iPhone SE

On Apr 25, 2020, at 4:49 PM, Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:

I recently went on a railfanning trip to 1925 Johnson City and visited two railroads:  the ET&WNC and the ET&WNC--Vida Divison Railroad.  I got some pretty good photos of the Transfer Trestle that I thought I would share.  Thanks!

Dean
<TT prototype photo.jpg>
<Classic photo B_W.jpg>
<TT lower level prototype.jpg>
<Lower trestle photo B_W.jpg>
<Transfer trestle final photo _b_w_.jpg>

William Uffelman

Great photos and modeling.

Bill Uffelman

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 5:28 PM, Tweetsie12
<jonahsnyder12190@...> wrote:
Nice Photos! Keep up the good work! -Jonah Snyder

Tom Grabenstein

Excellent work. Pictures are being saved for a future modeling project on my layout. Thank you for posting these. Dr. Tom

Dean Smith

Dr. Tom,
If you are interested, I have my drawings and many construction photos of the Transfer Trestle that I would be more than happy to share with you.

Excellent work. Pictures are being saved for a future modeling project on my layout. Thank you for posting these. Dr. Tom

William Uffelman

Dean I will butt in and ask for your construction info.

Thanks

Bill Uffelman
Ufffam AT yahoo DOT com

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 7:07 PM, Dean Smith
<smithfive@...> wrote:
Dr. Tom,
    If you are interested, I have my drawings and many construction photos
of the Transfer Trestle that I would be more than happy to share with you.

Excellent work. Pictures are being saved for a future modeling project on my
layout. Thank you for posting these. Dr. Tom

Tom Grabenstein

Yes Dean. I would love any info you can share on this interesting structure. I will be modeling it in the future. Please feel free to email or snail mail items to me.

Please let me know if I can compensate you on any costs incurred.

Doc Tom

Tom Grabenstein MD
172 Maplemere Drive
Clarksville Tennessee 37040

Bill,
    Send me your personal email address and I’ll send you what I have.

Dean

Excellent work. Pictures are being saved for a future modeling project on my
layout. Thank you for posting these. Dr. Tom

Lee Bishop

Wow, that's simply breathtaking. Amazing photo matches for the real thing!

Thanks Dean.

Ufffam AT yhahoo DOT com

Bill Uffelman

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 10:54 PM, Lee Bishop
<leebishop1944@...> wrote:
Wow, that's simply breathtaking. Amazing photo matches for the real thing!

Should be yahoo

Stupid phone!

<leebishop1944@...> wrote:
Wow, that's simply breathtaking. Amazing photo matches for the real thing!

I just got another pair of photos developed from my railfanning trip, so I thought I would share them as well.  Thanks.

Excellent -- photos definitely capture the essence of a NG line and its SG big brother!

Bill Uffelman

On Sunday, May 3, 2020, 11:46:40 AM PDT, Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:

I just got another pair of photos developed from my railfanning trip, so I thought I would share them as well.  Thanks.

Perfect!!! Love your modeling efforts and use of prototypical pictures.

What dual gauge track are you using??? Handlaid??

Doc Tom

Tweetsie12

Looking great Dean!

Dean Smith

Thank you! My dual gauge track is from Micro Engineering, and the turnouts are Shinohara. I have two hand laid turnouts in Johnson City where the narrow gauge diverts from the dual gauge. The rest of my layout is Code 55 narrow gauge Micro Engineering flex track with hand laid turnouts (over forty of these). The track on the bridges and transfer trestle is hand laid. During operating sessions, there are usually five to six standard gauge cars that need to be collected from various industries within the yard limit of Johnson City. About halfway through the session, a Southern Railway train enters from the staging area located over the Dispatcher's office in the adjacent room, drops off a cut of five to six cars, picks up the others, and departs back to staging. The crew at Johnson City then spots the new arrivals at designated industries. This is all done with narrow gauge engines. Considering they are also responsible for much of the narrow gauge action in Johnson City, the yard crew keeps themselves pretty busy.