From: John Waite <jwaite@...>
To: Tweetsie@... <Tweetsie@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 06, 1999 4:30 PM
Subject: [Tweetsie] Photos

From: John Waite <jwaite@...>

Hello,
I'm am trying to locate someone who has been to the East Tennessee Railway
in recent weeks and has photos of the two new SW1200s. If you have such
photos let me know.

John Waite Technology Coordinator
De Soto Public Schools De Soto, MO 63020
Work: 1-314-586-1005 Home: 1-314-586-4573
E-Mail: jwaite@...
vdd000@...

baskette@...

New locos on the ET? Wow, to be honest I'm quite surprised. Have they had an
upswing in business? From all the "hanging on by the skin of their teeth" talk
I've heard the past couple years , I thought by the end of this century they
would have folded and the route served by an NS local or something like that.
This will give me something to go look for when I return to Johnson City to
visit my parents. I have no idea what the train schedule is on the ET or if
they even have one for that matter. When and where are good times to catch them
working. What industries are they still serving?

Mike Baskette

John Waite <jwaite@...

Hello,
I'm am trying to locate someone who has been to the East Tennessee Railway
in recent weeks and has photos of the two new SW1200s. If you have such
photos let me know.

John Waite Technology Coordinator
De Soto Public Schools De Soto, MO 63020
Work: 1-314-586-1005 Home: 1-314-586-4573
E-Mail: jwaite@...
vdd000@...

Ken Riddle <ken290@...>

I will get you some first of the week John--do you want prints or slides??

Ken

----------
From: johnny graybeal <johnnyg@...>
To: Tweetsie@...
Subject: [Tweetsie] Re: Photos
Date: Wednesday, January 06, 1999 9:40 PM

From: "johnny graybeal" <johnnyg@...>

Nope,
Haven't been there. The first person I would think of is Ken Riddle
Johnny Graybeal
I'm am trying to locate someone who has been to the East Tennessee
Railway
in recent weeks and has photos of the two new SW1200s. If you have such
photos let me know.

John Waite Technology Coordinator
De Soto Public Schools De Soto, MO 63020
Work: 1-314-586-1005 Home: 1-314-586-4573
E-Mail: jwaite@...
vdd000@...

Ken Riddle <ken290@...>

The SW butthead engines burn about half as much fuel as those hopped up
GP9s do. They are a lot easier to switch with as well. The ET is solvent.

Ken

----------
From: baskette@...
To: Tweetsie@...
Date: Thursday, January 07, 1999 7:55 AM

From: baskette@...

New locos on the ET? Wow, to be honest I'm quite surprised. Have they
had an
upswing in business? From all the "hanging on by the skin of their teeth"
talk
I've heard the past couple years , I thought by the end of this century
they
would have folded and the route served by an NS local or something like
that.
This will give me something to go look for when I return to Johnson City
visit my parents. I have no idea what the train schedule is on the ET or
if
they even have one for that matter. When and where are good times to
catch them
working. What industries are they still serving?

Mike Baskette

Curtis Brookshire <curtis.brookshire@...>

Ken:

Please arrange to get these photos posted on the web. I'd love to see them.
How does Keith Holley like them?

Curtis

Ken Riddle <ken290@...>

They look really great but they have had some electrical problems. Keith
said he has put 250 feet of wire in one of them. He is about to get them
where he wants and plans to turn the other GP loose the end of next week.

It has sure been a long time since there has been anything green in that
enginehouse!

They had a better year financially than they expected and business is still
steady.

Keith Holley and Earl Durden have kept that little railroad alive.

Ken

----------
From: Curtis Brookshire <curtis.brookshire@...>
To: Tweetsie@...
Date: Friday, January 08, 1999 12:34 AM

From: "Curtis Brookshire" <curtis.brookshire@...>

Ken:

Please arrange to get these photos posted on the web. I'd love to see
them.
How does Keith Holley like them?

Curtis

John Waite <jwaite@...

The ETRy operates on an as needed schedule. The railroad is a two man
operation with Keith and Darrell doing all office work, shop work, track
work, and serving as the train crew. Business actually exceeded
expectations last year. The two new locomotives are SW1200s, one built in
1950 and the other in 1964. They were transferred to the ET from one of the
other operations owned by the parent company. I suspect they were brought
in because they would be cheaper to operate than the two locomotives they
had. By the way, those are going to Little Rock to another of the parent
company's short lines.

The SW1200s have been numbered 214 and 215. They were painted Southern
green with a gold stripe and white lettering. They tell me they are really
sharp looking.

John Waite Technology Coordinator
De Soto Public Schools De Soto, MO 63020
Work: 1-314-586-1005 Home: 1-314-586-4573
E-Mail: jwaite@...
vdd000@...

Rick Blanchard <bdesign@...>

Folks,

They look really great but they have had some electrical problems. Keith
said he has put 250 feet of wire in one of them. He is about to get them
where he wants and plans to turn the other GP loose the end of next week.
Please get some shots of the departing GPs, especially some straight on
side and end shots that will help me do the decal sheets. For modeling
purposes, identifying any unusual features or add-ons that the units had on
departure is a big help. Same with the new units too.

"You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone" -- Joni Mitchell

Cheers,
Rick

Rick Blanchard
rick@...
San Diego, CA

My East Tennessee and Western North Carolina web site:
http://www.urbaneagle.com/slim/etwnc.html