Topics

passenger car trucks

Larry Smith

I just received the four passenger car sides and ends that Deerfield River Laser makes.  The combine, Azalea, and two coaches.  My question is, what trucks do I use under them and who makes the.  Also were they painted Pullman green or another shade?

Larry Smith

johnny graybeal

Pullman Green. I have no idea of what is available in the truck category. If in HO, Western Rails makes trucks for the Laconia cars he sells. Sorry I cant help, but I do not know what to tell you, as the Azalea was not a AC&F product, but the others were. Look at the photos in Tweetsie Country, as that book and my volume 6 show the trucks in the real thing.
Johnny

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Feb 1, 2021 6:15 PM
To: ETWNC@groups.io
Subject: [ETWNC] passenger car trucks

I just received the four passenger car sides and ends that Deerfield River Laser makes.  The combine, Azalea, and two coaches.  My question is, what trucks do I use under them and who makes the.  Also were they painted Pullman green or another shade?

Larry Smith

Tim Smith

I used the trucks from the bachmann car bodies as recommended in the deerfield instructions.  This also keeps the coupler height the same with out any adjustment.  

Tim

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 6:20 PM johnny graybeal <johnnyg@...> wrote:
Pullman Green. I have no idea of what is available in the truck category. If in HO, Western Rails makes trucks for the Laconia cars he sells. Sorry I cant help, but I do not know what to tell you, as the Azalea was not a AC&F product, but the others were. Look at the photos in Tweetsie Country, as that book and my volume 6 show the trucks in the real thing.
Johnny

Larry Smith

--
Tim Smith
Train Shop Lead
The Dollywood Company
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
336-957-6464

Larry Smith

Tim

I should have been more specific as these are HOn3 cars.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Larry Smith

On Monday, February 1, 2021, 6:04:04 PM CST, Tim Smith <smith.tim12@...> wrote:

I used the trucks from the bachmann car bodies as recommended in the deerfield instructions.  This also keeps the coupler height the same with out any adjustment.  

Tim

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 6:20 PM johnny graybeal <johnnyg@...> wrote:
Johnny

Larry Smith

--
Tim Smith
Train Shop Lead
The Dollywood Company
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
336-957-6464

Brian Kopp

PSC is selling passenger trucks in brass on ebay for $25
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-Scale-HOn3-31600-Trucks-Pass-Car-w-26-Wheels-5-0-WB-Brass/383190688015?hash=item5937f1e10f:g:gY8AAOSw1cJdFOLa

MRGS is selling plastic ones on ebay for $10.50 but they need decent wheelsets like Kadee 718s or better still Grandt Line 5132s (out of production) AND surgery to accept them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOn3-1-pair-D-RGW-Narrow-Gauge-Passenger-Car-Trucks-50-WB-MRGS-KIT-5002A/283465410764?hash=item41ffdae8cc:g:158AAOSwL7VWm-bg

Westernrails.com has 3D printed HOn3 passenger trucks with Kadee 718 wheelsets included for $12

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, Florida

Brian Kopp

BTW, I didn't mention it but the westernrails.com passenger trucks are HOn3 BRB&L trucks. The BRB&L sold coaches to the EBT and ET&WNC. Somebody smarter than me might know if the trucks are a match or were swapped out. Johnny? =) 

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, Florida

Lee Bishop

Johnny, were the rucks on all the ET passenger equipment painted green to the very end of passenger ops in the 40s? The photos I've seen on the latter stuff they ran in WW2, the trucks then sure look black to me. If they weren't, I have some painting to do for my two coaches!
--
Lee Bishop
Owner, Stoney Creek branch of the ET&WNC in On30 gauge

johnny graybeal

In my answer to Larry I was talking about the color of the vestibule coaches, combine 15 and the Azalea. Not the trucks, the cars themselves. I would expect that black is right, though in full size reality trucks, like couplers, had to have parts that were unpainted, so that they can be inspected for cracks. 
Johnny Graybeal