Topics

No More Excuses. Cannot put off a scratch build any longer.

Tom Grabenstein

No More Excuses.

These two prototype pictures of the Depot inspired me to build the Linville LDE on my On30 homage to the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina (ET&WNC) Railroad.

With the track painted and ballasted,the water tank and shed in place, trees and grasses planted,there are no more excuses to get on to scratch building the Linville Depot as it was in the early 1920's

With Evergreen Styrene and San Juan Details on order I will be taking the plunge to replace the foam core mock up over the next several weeks.

Hopefully a nice model will be ready in the near future.Fingers are crossed and nerves need steadying. Did I mention scratch building makes me real nervous?

Thanks for following along so far.

Tom,
    I think you can relax.  I’ve seen enough of your work to be confident that you will do just fine.  I’m excited (selfishly!) to follow your progress, because it will help me when I’m ready to complete my HO scale model of this unique structure.  Keep us apprised of your progress!

Dean

Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2020 8:39 PM
Subject: [ETWNC] No More Excuses. Cannot put off a scratch build any longer.

No More Excuses.

These two prototype pictures of the Depot inspired me to build the Linville LDE on my On30 homage to the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina (ET&WNC) Railroad.

With the track painted and ballasted,the water tank and shed in place, trees and grasses planted,there are no more excuses to get on to scratch building the Linville Depot as it was in the early 1920's

With Evergreen Styrene and San Juan Details on order I will be taking the plunge to replace the foam core mock up over the next several weeks.

Hopefully a nice model will be ready in the near future.Fingers are crossed and nerves need steadying. Did I mention scratch building makes me real nervous?

Thanks for following along so far.

Doc Tom

johnny graybeal

so you are going with the short version of the depot, not the 12 foot longer version that it was after 1923?
Johnny

Tom Grabenstein

Hi Johnny. Yes I am going for the short version. I picked the era 1920-1923 because of the beautiful passenger varnish that ran on the line at that time. I was fortunate that the smaller version of the depot fit nicely in the track plan that I had to work with also. Thanks for your interest. Dr. Tom

On May 24, 2020, at 3:53 PM, johnny graybeal <johnnyg@...> wrote:

so you are going with the short version of the depot, not the 12 foot longer version that it was after 1923?
Johnny

Lee Bishop

Tom,
I cant wait to see the finished structure!

Dan Stenger

What are you planning to use for the bark? My son is trying to find a way to 3D print it.

Dan

These two prototype pictures of the Depot inspired me to build the Linville LDE on my On30 homage to the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina (ET&WNC) Railroad.

With the track painted and ballasted,the water tank and shed in place, trees and grasses planted,there are no more excuses to get on to scratch building the Linville Depot as it was in the early 1920's

With Evergreen Styrene and San Juan Details on order I will be taking the plunge to replace the foam core mock up over the next several weeks.

Hopefully a nice model will be ready in the near future.Fingers are crossed and nerves need steadying. Did I mention scratch building makes me real nervous?

Thanks for following along so far.

Hey Dan, Good to hear from you. I found “doll house” cedar shingles that are the right size in O scale. I hope with correct stains they will look close to replicating the Chestnut bark siding on the real deal in the 1920’s. The  3D printing is very intriguing however and may be a better alternative. Looking forward to seeing what you and your son come up with.

Doc Tom