Topics

new historical society website

Chris Ford

Hey y'all,

Just letting you know that the ET&WNC Railroad Historical Society has rolled out a completely new website. I know...it's been a long time coming...the wheels of an all volunteer organization don't always move as fast as we'd like, but they do move.

There's lots of new content and links, with just a few areas that are not complete, but they are being worked on. Please forgive the dust in our "under construction" sections.

As has long been the case, the site is still not able to handle the business of the Society such as membership renewals and payments or convention registration and payment, but we're working on that too, give us a bit and we'll get there. We've got some professional help lined up to do just that.

Come check it out, especially the new "Histories" section...there's a couple of files contributed by William C. Schneck, Jr. that you won't want to miss. But be warned, don't start reading the Cranberry history if you don't have a long time to read...it's very addictive! And know that he has a few more to come. Lots of "links" to anything ET&WNC related there too. If you know of others please give me a holler, we welcome more content from all of y'all.

This site does not replace our Facebook presence or the "groups.io" group, but it is an addition to the other resources out there. We're trying to put a good face on the web for the Society for anyone new to the ET&WNC. In the end, we want a newcomer to the ET&WNC Railroad to be able to find lots of things that will be of interest and to get more engaged with rest of the fans of our favorite little narrow gauge railroad. That helps us all to continue the legacy of the railroad which is really what this is all about.

So go and take a peek...and don't be shy about letting us know what you think! Be sure to "refresh" your browser pages if you still see the old site. Thanks for y'all's support!

http://www.etwncrrhs.org/

joel shipley

Wow,

Very nice. Makes me want to join, but as Groucho Marx once said, " I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

Only kidding, nice work Chris and thanks for all your hard work.

Joel

[...]

WOW, what a great website ! Sign me up. Check is in the mail. I have been considering doing this for about a year and this beautiful website has inspired me to sign up and join the Society.

I really enjoyed the opening colorized picture of the Johnson City Railroad Depot. It appears that everyone hanging around the Depot including the kid in the foreground are using cell phones. Please tell me it's not so! Circa 1910 – 1920, tell me it's not so!

Thanks for all you are doing.

Doc Tom

Tom Grabenstein MD
172 Maplemere Drive
Clarksville Tennessee 37040

On Sep 21, 2018, at 10:32 AM, Chris Ford <chris@...> wrote:

[...]

Chris Jessee

Well this is fantastic news!  I've run a few e commerce sites over the past 15 or so years and wanted to offer a recommendation on the current easiest to use option https://www.shopify.com
I use Shopify for a couple of current sites and find it to be very easy to set up and maintain. Shopify could easily handle selling merchandise, donations, memberships, convention signup and just about anything else you can throw at it.

Dan Stenger

Looks great! Are there any plans to make it more mobile friendly for us folks who spend more time on small screens?

Dan

On Sep 21, 2018 10:32 AM, Chris Ford <chris@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dan,

I'm sure when we do some upgrades we can optimize it to be more mobile friendly. Right now it actually looks fairly decent on a tablet...and it "functions" well on a phone, you just can't read it. Unfortunately some content just doesn't lend itself to a small screen. But we'll figure it out!

Thanks again!

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 17:24:39 -0500, "Dan Stenger" wrote:

[...]

The Shopify platform has great mobile friendly templates.

Chris Jessee, President
CardBoard Safari
PO Box 63
Charlottesville, VA 22902
1-877-895-9453
chris@...

Don't forget to like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/CBSAFARI

Chris Ford

Thanks Chris...and your products on the Safari site are great!

On Sep 23, 2018, at 6:49 AM, Chris Jessee via Groups.Io <cj8n=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

The Shopify platform has great mobile friendly templates.

Chris Jessee, President
CardBoard Safari
PO Box 63
Charlottesville, VA 22902
1-877-895-9453
chris@...

Don't forget to like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/CBSAFARI

Dan Stenger

It works on my phone, just super small.

Thanks for everyone's hard work on the new web site.

Dan
---- Chris Ford <chris@...> wrote:

Thanks Dan,

I'm sure when we do some upgrades we can optimize it to be more mobile friendly. Right now it actually looks fairly decent on a tablet...and it "functions" well on a phone, you just can't read it. Unfortunately some content just doesn't lend itself to a small screen. But we'll figure it out!

Thanks again!

Chris

&nbsp;

President - ET&amp;WNC Railroad Historical Society

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 17:24:39 -0500, "Dan Stenger" wrote:
&nbsp;

Looks great! Are there any plans to make it more mobile friendly for us folks who spend more time on small screens?
&nbsp;

Dan

&nbsp;
On Sep 21, 2018 10:32 AM, Chris Ford &lt;chris@...&gt; wrote:

Hey y'all,

Just letting you know that the ET&amp;WNC Railroad Historical Society has rolled out a completely new website. I know...it's been a long time coming...the wheels of an all volunteer organization don't always move as fast as we'd like, but they do move.

There's lots of new content and links, with just a few areas that are not complete, but they are being worked on. Please forgive the dust in our "under construction" sections.

As has long been the case, the site is still not able to handle the business of the Society such as membership renewals and payments or convention registration and payment, but we're working on that too, give us a bit and we'll get there. We've got some professional help lined up to do just that.

Come check it out, especially the new "Histories" section...there's a couple of files contributed by William C. Schneck, Jr. that you won't want to miss. But be warned, don't start reading the Cranberry history if you don't have a long time to read...it's very addictive! And know that he has a few more to come. Lots of "links" to anything ET&amp;WNC related there too. If you know of others please give me a holler, we welcome more content from all of y'all.

This site does not replace our Facebook presence or the "groups.io" group, but it is an addition to the other resources out there. We're trying to put a good face on the web for the Society for anyone new to the ET&amp;WNC. In the end, we want a newcomer to the ET&amp;WNC Railroad to be able to find lots of things that will be of interest and to get more engaged with rest of the fans of our favorite little narrow gauge railroad. That helps us all to continue the legacy of the railroad which is really what this is all about.